So I decided to take my lil sister's hair care in my own hands.

Qualitee

So my lil sis is 13 yrs old and Im really worried about her hair. Shes about NL, shes over pressed, thinning and breaking. I felt kind of bad because my hair is making so much progress and my lil sis will always tells me "Oh your hair is so long" "your hair is so pretty" etc. and her hair isnt getting any better. She knows about LHCF and my practices, yet she refused to follow a new hair regimen. IDK Why? Teenager I guess:lachen:Anywho, Right now Im really trying to fight back the tears because I love my lil sis and I dont want her to feel insecure about her hair, Hence making her feel insecure about herself:sad: After months and months of trying to convince her and my mother about my hair care techniques, they are finally listening:grin: So heres what I made for her.

She going to get braids and twist etc every 3-4 weeks
After the 3-4 weeks she'll take them out
Clarify with a clarifying shampoo and ACV with baking soda
Use a good protein Con ( havent figured out what Con yet)
and braid back up again
While her hair is in braids I plan on making her use

Jamaican Mango & Lime No More Itch Gro Spray or Jamaican Mango & Lime Maximum Relief Medicated No More Itch Gro Spray For moisture????:look:
(Is that ^^ ok)
She has 4b hair and its really dry. She likes to use a small teeth comb to comb through her 4b NG:spinning::drunk:( Yes it drives me crazy):nono:
I guess having her hair in braids will prevent breakage and she can stretch longer. I plan on having her relax her hair ever 3-4 months too. Cant wait to see her 8 month progress:grin:.....But I hope she follows it:perplexed Wish me luck!!!!!

( sorry no pics she kind of ashamed:look:)
Any suggestion?
Especially a good protein con and keeping the hair moisturized while braided?

UPDATE!!!!

So she got her hair braided on Sunday and she plans on keeping it for 4 weeks. I sprayed water and con on her hair and the ends this morning. I hope it works out! Wish me luck!! Thanks for you kind words and suggestion ladies:kiss:

click to make them bigger
Starting out pics
2010-01-31 15.34.20.jpg
2010-01-31 15.34.38.jpg
I hope she Full SL or APL by Jan of 2011

Her braids
2010-02-06 18.31.08.jpg

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

I think its awesome you're taking your little sister's haircare into your own hands....I love how people will just brush you off for a while and eventually they start believing what you have to say on haircare....happens that way for me alot:yep:

She's gonna make excellent progress with your reggie:flowers:

JJamiah

I would have her take pics and post them in a fotki after the 8 months if she chooses some times we need to see how far we came.
I would do a deep Protein (DRC 28 or Aphogee) and Deep Moisture treatment (Silk Elements MEga Silk Cream TUb or heavy moisture treatment) before putting the braids in. If you don't it will only weaken already weak hair and cause breakage. Sorry to hear this, but lucky girl, by the time 2 years come around she is going to be a HOT MESS, with all that hair on her head thanks too you. ANd I mean Hot Mess in a sweet way cause she is going to be flipping it like it's hot and won't want to mess it up! :)!

Also 3 weeks sounds good you don't want to stretch too long your building up her hair right now.

HIDE if not toss those small tooth combs, don't want her tempted.

I copied this from a website about the moisturizing water based daily's:
Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil
Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave-in ( I have only used this one)
Profectiv Anti-Tangle Leave-in
Profectiv Mega Growth
Cantu Shea Butter Grow Strong
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Cantu Shea Butter Leave-in

I have used Infusium 23 moisturizing leave in you could water this down some and use it daily!

Last edited:

Platinum

Hey Qualitee! I think it's great that you're helping your sister. Since she's going to be in braids for a while, I would suggest that try the Crown and Glory method. I'm transitioning and this method has really helped with retention, growth, and the overall improvement of my hair. I can't speak on Jamaican Mango &Lime products because I never used them but I spray my braids and scalp with Worlds of Curls curl moisturizer spray and Surge 14. I think it's suggested to use Infusium 23 and Braid Spray with this method. I have dry 4b hair so I prefer to use curl moisturizer instead of braid spray.

I clarify my hair with a baking soda and water solution every 2-3 weeks while in braids to remove any possible build up that I have from the products I use. I cowash with Suave Humectant and DC in braids with Lustrasilk liquid Cholesterol. I hope this helps.

Here's more info on the Crown and Glory method: www.growafrohairlong.com

Vintageglam

OP I think its a beautiful thing you are doing for your sis :yep:.

I wish I had someone who could have helped me so young. I would not have damaged my hair so much.

Also I agree with jjamiah at that age pics are so motivating. I would space the pics every month apart so that she can see for herself the progress she is making.

Also keeping it real simple will make her goals all the more attainable.

:up: Well done OP !

ETA: If poss I would make sure the braids are not too small and maybe only texlax every 4 months while she is in the braids.

Lady Esquire

So my lil sis is 13 yrs old and Im really worried about her hair. Shes about NL, shes over pressed, thinning and breaking. I felt kind of bad because my hair is making so much progress and my lil sis will always tells me "Oh your hair is so long" "your hair is so pretty" etc. and her hair isnt getting any better. She knows about LHCF and my practices, yet she refused to follow a new hair regimen. IDK Why? Teenager I guess:lachen:Anywho, Right now Im really trying to fight back the tears because I love my lil sis and I dont want her to feel insecure about her hair, Hence making her feel insecure about herself:sad: After months and months of trying to convince her and my mother about my hair care techniques, they are finally listening:grin: So heres what I made for her.

She going to get braids and twist etc every 3-4 weeks
After the 3-4 weeks she'll take them out
Clarify with a clarifying shampoo and ACV with baking soda
Use a good protein Con ( havent figured out what Con yet)
and braid back up again
While her hair is in braids I plan on making her use

Jamaican Mango & Lime No More Itch Gro Spray or Jamaican Mango & Lime Maximum Relief Medicated No More Itch Gro Spray For moisture????:look:
(Is that ^^ ok)
She has 4b hair and its really dry. She likes to use a small teeth comb to comb through her 4b NG:spinning::drunk:( Yes it drives me crazy):nono:
I guess having her hair in braids will prevent breakage and she can stretch longer. I plan on having her relax her hair ever 3-4 months too. Cant wait to see her 8 month progress:grin:.....But I hope she follows it:perplexed Wish me luck!!!!!

( sorry no pics she kind of ashamed:look:)
Any suggestion?
Especially a good protein con and keeping the hair moisturized while braided?

I admire what you're doing for your little sis. Make her throw away the small tooth combs and all tools that have the potential to damage her hair: curling irons, bad products, harmful accessories, etc.

My and my eldest DH both are 4b and its all about regular conditioning.
-Prepoo with oil or condish on dry hair, this step I usually use protein.
-Wash/DC in sections to prevent breakage/tangling, this step is moisture.
-I plan on purchasing a steamer and I know her hair will benefit from it too.

Good luck and keep us posted.

lizzyb168

Definately do a protein treatment and then a moisturising treatment before putting her in braids.

Im in natural plaits right now and a good leave in i used to use was the original mane n tail. It doesnt cause alot of build up etc.

Also try the cantu leave in range. That will be good for getting her hair stronger as well as keeping it moisturised. I love that range.

She'll soon see improvements. Cant wait to see the before an after :)

Adaoba2012

Awww this is a very nice thing you are doing for your sister. Once her hair turns around and starts to get healthy you are really going to feel good for helping her. I think the advice these ladies are offering should help her out alot. Her being so young the crown and glory method should be her best bet...but I just wanted to say thanks for being a good big sis..its gonna mean alot to her when she gets older..trust me :yep:

KittyMeowMeow

She's so lucky to have you helping her! What a wonderful gift for you to help your sister achieve for herself- a gorgeous head of hair.

Not sure if anyone mentioned nutrition/vitamins/water. If she's not already doing so, you might encourage her to take a daily vitamin (they have gummy vitamins for adults which are tasty and will be easy to stick to- just make sure she understands they should not be eaten as a snack since excess amts can cause problems) and drink more water, and maybe drink a protein shake (spirutein is tasty mixed w/ milk or juice), esp. if she is not getting enough.

Good luck!

angenoir

Great that you're helping her!

I have no suggestions except to say that just keep the reggie simple, products few and focus on good techniques and practices.
If you have a too complicated reggie she may be overwhelmed and as we all know, less is more!

She is lucky to have you! :yep:

locabouthair

Thats very nice of you!

When I was in braids I retained a lot of length by just using a braid spray every day to keep the hait moist. if she decides to relax PLEASE make sure she waits two weeks after the braids are taken out.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I can't wait to hear an update on her hair. If she takes care of it properly and starts seeing some progress it will get her even more geared up to take care of it. Keep us posted.

JerriBlank

I think it's the sweetest thing that there are members here looking out for their little sisters' hair:yep::yep:

I agree with the poster that said to keep it very simple.
When i was relaxed and doing the crown and glory method,aphogee products worked wonders for my braided hair.
I was using the pro vitamin-b leave in everyday,and the green tea keratin spray every other day if i'm not mistaken.

I think the biggest thing to watch out for with people with type 4 hair and braids is the moisture level. The pro vitamin stuff helped to keep my hair soft,and i would apply some oil sparingly all over my head after using it.My hair would be soft and strong when i took my braids down.
If she's not game for co-washing in braids(a lot of people aren't) then i suggest using a damp cloth with a dab of shampoo or condish and wiping her hair down with it about once a week.It helps to keep the braids neater than co-washing would,if this is an issue for her.

Good luck to the both of you guys,and i,like the other ladies,look forward to seeing her progress when she's more comfortable with the length/health she starts to gain:grin:
Great job Big sis!!!

rosalindb

I used to clarify with ACV and baking soda but read afterwards that ACV seals the cutile and baking soda raises it so stopped using that concoction. I then just used AO White Camellia shampoo and baking soda to clarify and would just use ACV after deep conditioning.

Aubrey Organics GBP is my staple protein treatment and I also use Aubrey Organics Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Mask twice a year for a stronger protein treatment.

I keep my hair in cornrows without extensions and once a week co-wash with diluted Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner which helps to keep my hair moisturised. I use a stocking cap to prevent my hair getting to frizzy.

Not sure about the quality of Jamaican Mango & Lime products as when they were taken over by another company, I remember someone complaining about the change of ingredients to inferior ones. Look at how the ingredients changed for the Jamaican Mango & Lime Cactus Leave-In Moisturizer

Old Formula: Cactus Blend Extract, Cactus Blossom Cactus Seed Extract, Cactus Root Extract, Cactus Flower Oil, Carrot Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Shea Butter, Aloe, Jojoba Oil, Essence of Lime, Essence of Mango, Methy-paraben, Fragrance

New Formula:
Deionized Water (aqua), Mineral Oil, Glycerin, Glycol Disterate, Polyquaternium 37, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methlyparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (parfum)
:

Last edited:

mariofmagdal

You are a great big Sis. You have a plan, if followed, you and sis will be very happy. Much success to you both on your journey.

Bettina

I wish your sister much success on her hair journey, she is very lucky to have a caring older sister like you. :)

Soliel185

I love this braid spray -

It has a nice smell, good ingredients, and it makes my hair very soft. I don't use it much anymore b/c I started mixing my own moisturizer, but it was great during my transition.