So I came across this growth product today...

Kinkyhairlady

http://www.amazon.com/African-Formu...5PIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329619234&sr=8-1

I was so tempted to buy it but I overcame the urge because I have so much products I don't even use consistently. Has anyone here heard of it? The ingredients look pretty good as well.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Wild Bee Honey, Coconut Oil, West African Shea Butter, Virgin Olive Oil, Basil, Safflower, Cottsfoots, Horsetail, Calendula Blossoms, Rosemary, Onion Juice, Vegtable Proteins, Biotin, Allantoin, Panthenol, Natural Glycerin, Na-PCA, Vitamins A, B, C & E, Natural Preservatives and Vegetable Aroma

Jas123

The Star of a Story
http://www.amazon.com/African-Formu...5PIW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329619234&sr=8-1

I was so tempted to buy it but I overcame the urge because I have so much products I don't even use consistently. Has anyone here heard of it? The ingredients look pretty good as well.

Ingredients: Purified Water, Wild Bee Honey, Coconut Oil, West African Shea Butter, Virgin Olive Oil, Basil, Safflower, Cottsfoots, Horsetail, Calendula Blossoms, Rosemary, Onion Juice, Vegtable Proteins, Biotin, Allantoin, Panthenol, Natural Glycerin, Na-PCA, Vitamins A, B, C & E, Natural Preservatives and Vegetable Aroma
great ingredients... i know the bolded ingredients are definitely hair growth promoting... possibly some of the others too...

DesignerCurls

I have used this products the first time I went natural. It is more like a gel. It has a very nice hold and doesn't dry hard. Reminds me of Let's Jam Shining & Conditioning Gel. I can't say it did much for growth because I didn't use it consistently.

Kinkyhairlady

I have used this products the first time I went natural. It is more like a gel. It has a very nice hold and doesn't dry hard. Reminds me of Let's Jam Shining & Conditioning Gel. I can't say it did much for growth because I didn't use it consistently.

I read some reviews and the ladies stated they were using it as a gel but when I read the directions it stated to put it on the scalp and massage. I think i'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.

GIJane

I read some reviews and the ladies stated they were using it as a gel but when I read the directions it stated to put it on the scalp and massage. I think i'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.

Kinkyhairlady Sounds great. Let us know how this works out for you. I think that I would use it as a gel as well since it has the honey. I used honey, avj/avg, oil to hold my hair like a gel before. This would definitely be a better substitute if I get the benefits of growth. Please keep us posted.

RayRayFurious

I'm too afraid to use anything with placenta. Read bad things about its link to cancer. I'll pass...

Not trying to risk anything...

southerncitygirl

ETA: deleted info

when i've seen this product in the beauty supply its been much cheaper.:nono: the placenta would def be a no-go. i didn't realize it was listed on the front label.

Last edited:

Kinkyhairlady

I ended up getting this and then came back to this thread. What's wrong with placenta extracts? I used it and love how it lays and softens my hair but if it's dangerous I'll stop.

RayRayFurious

I think I commented on this from another thread, but I said I wouldn't use it because I've read about placenta's possible links to cancer. Placental products can mimic estrogen in the body (Please review this Cornell University website for more information if you are interested: http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/research/endocrine/videos/makeup.cfm). From my personal health experiences and family history, I have decided not to use such products. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. If it works for your hair and you like it, then use it.

People make decisions on their hair care from research and experience. Just in the same way that some women don't use parabens because of its possible linkage to cancer, I have decided to avoid certain ingredients for certain reasons. Just in the same way that some women have decided against using sulfates, mineral oil, etc. for whatever informed reason, I have done the same.

Hope that helps a little to know where I was coming from.

aicramphoto

I've used this as a base for adding sulphur since I do not always want to use oils. It's fine for me, my hair does grow, but as I have stated too many times here, my issue is not growing, it's retaining (going back to cornrows for that, hope it helps). I'm going to keep using this to help with growth. By the way, it's no where near 30 bucks in NYC, it's in a few BSS. I think I paid 6 or 7.99, maybe, don't remember.

Kinkyhairlady

I think I commented on this from another thread, but I said I wouldn't use it because I've read about placenta's possible links to cancer. Placental products can mimic estrogen in the body (Please review this Cornell University website for more information if you are interested: http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/research/endocrine/videos/makeup.cfm). From my personal health experiences and family history, I have decided not to use such products. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. If it works for your hair and you like it, then use it.

People make decisions on their hair care from research and experience. Just in the same way that some women don't use parabens because of its possible linkage to cancer, I have decided to avoid certain ingredients for certain reasons. Just in the same way that some women have decided against using sulfates, mineral oil, etc. for whatever informed reason, I have done the same.

Hope that helps a little to know where I was coming from.

I totally agree with what you said. I'm going to finish what I purchased because I can't return it. got it from a korean store and you know they won't take nothing back that has been used already. I don't want to take such risk either but I'm sure in the months I use it there should be no harm. I still use Parabens in some products but for some reason this Placenta thing makes me feel slightly more uncomfortable. I just need a replacement now.

Kinkyhairlady

I've used this as a base for adding sulphur since I do not always want to use oils. It's fine for me, my hair does grow, but as I have stated too many times here, my issue is not growing, it's retaining (going back to cornrows for that, hope it helps). I'm going to keep using this to help with growth. By the way, it's no where near 30 bucks in NYC, it's in a few BSS. I think I paid 6 or 7.99, maybe, don't remember.

The 4oz jar is cheaper. I ended up getting the big one 16oz because that is what the bss had. I am regretting that now after finding out this info.