SNOODS (and all their variations!) Protective Style?

girlyprincess23

Are these considered a protective style? I mean your hair would not be brushing against your clothes or exposed to air/ wind. I am trying to find various protective styles to keep it interesting over the next year as I am transitioning. I am also trying to ease away from my comfort zone (braids and weaves) as at some point I will need to start taking care of my hair. I also think I will be able to retain more (this is going to be a looooong transition w/ BKT) without the damage caused by braids and weaves. Also does anyone know where one could find the variation where only half the head is covered and the length is in like a crochet sack sort of thingie? Links to pics are below.
http://www.totallyfashiontrendy.com/Rayon_Crochet_Snood_Hair_Net_Head_Cover_p/snr-000.htm (full head)

http://www.alizasboutique.com/snoods1.html (full head not crochet)
http://www.jazpizaz.com/hairbunnets (for buns only)

Candygirl

Candygirl
My daughter and wear the bunnets,but I'd love to buy some of the full and half cover snoods as well. I may order a few from the bunnet site...alot of them were really cute.

Ronnieaj

I would think they're a protective style, if not necessarily a low-mani one. I'm not a fan of the full head snoods, but I dislike hats and other full-head coverings as well. I think the bun ones are really cute though, and may be tempted to pick some up for this winter (PJism kicking in!). The prices aren't bad and there are a lot of options, which I've been looking for for the fall and winter. Thanks for the links! :grin:

Desarae

I like them and I think they are a protective style. Sometimes I baggy underneath them. They are especially helpful in the winter:

Me in a $2 snood from the BSS

meecee

I think they are cute and can be protective depending on the material or how you have your hair underneath. Some acrylic yarns can really dry out the hair so make sure you moisturize well underneath and protect your ends from rubbing against the hat.

If your snood is kinda see through its really cute to wear a lightweight silk scarf underneath. That protects your hair from losing moisture and gives a cute color contrast against the hat.

girlyprincess23

I think they are cute and can be protective depending on the material or how you have your hair underneath. Some acrylic yarns can really dry out the hair so make sure you moisturize well underneath and protect your ends from rubbing against the hat.

If your snood is kinda see through its really cute to wear a lightweight silk scarf underneath. That protects your hair from losing moisture and gives a cute color contrast against the hat.

Yeah I think they're really cute too. I was thinking about how to keep my hair fom contacting the yarn. The more expensive ones are lined.

meecee

Yeah I think they're really cute too. I was thinking about how to keep my hair fom contacting the yarn. The more expensive ones are lined.

Thats really good. I don't buy mine. My mom loves to crochet so I have tons of hats and scarves. If I don't wear a silk scarf underneath, I just make sure to use a heavy moisturizer and tuck my ends under.

cmw45

I love snoods. I think meecee is right, it depends on the material and what's going on underneath as to whether they are protective or not. I think they definitely could be if done correctly.

ETA: They are also a great way to strech relaxers or braids and still look cute. I just part my hair a little further up so that the snood covers the part (kind of like a swoop) and then my new growth is hid. (I wear the full head snoods so just the swooped part of my hair/braids is out).

Last edited: