Sister needs help, Bad braid job

leona2025

My sister had her hair braided for highschool reunion tomorrow. It's braided into a bun.

I looked at her scalp and it it swollen and red and looks like it's been bleeding in some areas. :nono:

The hair is pulled so tight. She is going to take the braids down tomorrow after the reunion. Is there anything else she can do to it.

I got a qtip and swabbed her scalp with peroxide, but I'm not sure that's what I should have done.

The pictures don't show it clearly.

MrsHaseeb

Tomorrow might be too long. Those things need to come out now to void damage to her follicles. I'm sure she can find another style. It's not worth losing hair to try to keep the braids another day.

Urban

I'd be taking them out now, not tomorrow. Who knows what other damage the braids are causing. She can't take them out and get herself a wig?

leona2025

I will tell her to take them down immediately. Is there something we can do to treat her scalp after taking it down. It looks like it is getting infected.

CaraWalker

ugh one time my best friend braided my hair. she braided it so tightly i had a blinding migraine and couldn't make it through my shift at work later the same day. i went home and took that crap right out of my head. idk why people think they have to pull the hair that tight.

just looking at those pictures makes my head hurt! :blush: i agree, she needs to take those braids down ASAP!!!

Platinum

My advice to your sister: Don't wait until after the reunion. Take those braids out now!! A cute hairstyle is not worth the risk of permanent hair loss.:nono:

She may want to try Neosporin on the inflamed areas of her scalp.

danniegirl

she can wet her hair ie like she is washing let the water run over it that will loosen up the braids and elevate some of the tension it may not look as good but it will give her instant relief.

Tell her not to take it out if she can stand it take out the braid or braids that is too tight then let her head rest for a day or two then go back and make them redo those braids for free.

when she does take them down i wouldn't worry about "treating" her scalp i would "let it breath" tell her to do absolutely nothing give it time for the stress to be relived for a day or so . you know how when you feet swell and hurt all it needs is for the shoes to be off. all she really needs is the braids out.

eta tell her not to worry to much she will not be snatched bald nor will this ONE TIME occurrence cause any type of traction alopecia. i have had this happen to me and i have actually done this to people also we all survived hair line in tack.

Last edited:

Soratachi

Take the braids out with gloves.
Wash with water and disinfect with Q-Tip.
Seek medical care.
Go to the saloon and raise hell.
Make sure you sue them or get your money back.