I need help with hair styling decision, please.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
*sigh* I'm trying to decide whether to get my hair flat ironed professionally (because mine doesn't come out to great) and wear it out for our family reunion or whether to braid it up.

Most of my family haven't seen me since I started my hhj and only remember me at SL. Some have seen pics online and are surely gonna be all up in my head when I get there (and have already warned me). And since most of the women in my family are bold Divas, there's no question that there will be too many hands touching my hair and checking my scalp. :rolleyes: That's why I'm considering braids. But braided hair may incite some complaints, which they have no problem expressing. None. :nono:

So my choices are, wow factor with lots of attention...and lots of hands in my hair, or braided for convenience and protection but having to defend my decision?

What say you?

I love my family and can't wait to see them but, I have to make a decision now.

Oh, and I'll be in Vegas a couple days prior to the reunion. Factor that in.

Thanks. And...........

Go!

@NJoy, it really depends what you're going for and trying to achieve.

If you're wanting to showcase you're length to prove a point to family, then flat iron, braid out, roller set or something that allows your hair to hang. You will just have to endure the heat and the hands.

If you could care less about proving a point to them and the heat is to much to deal with, then maybe a juicy bun, braids or some other protective style.

The bun option will give you an opportunity to take your hair down and prove your length if the bold divas insist. ETA: Plus a bun might keep hands out of your hair. Bold family members will touch your hair regardless so I don't think your style of choice will remove that nagging possibility.

HTH

Last edited:
It's hot. I'd probably go with braids. Or you could flat iron and wear a simple bun that you can take down for those who want to see.

A Bun for styling convenience, easy to do or redo, keeps people from having easy access to your hair.

NJoy, if you flatiron, please be sure that you go to someone with a good track record like Reniece. You don't want to damage your hair with one salon visit and not enjoy your hair after the wow factor or even not get to experience it.

I think the braids with your own hair might be an easy do that takes little time to bun or style or just leave loose. If you wanna showcase your length, you can undo one of them and let them see it's all you.

Alternatively, you can do the bun and let your hair down to show those who want to see, then put it up in the bun. You'll have to make sure your hair is fully moisturized (with a DC) before you go for the flatiron and you have to make sure no product that will burn is applied during flatironin but only a heat protectant, preferably a serum that will seal your hair well. Good thorough application is important to ensure there are no gaps in your hair that would allow moisture in and cause poofing. The other good thing about wearing a bun is even if humidity does get into your hair, you can still look elegant with your hair up and can still stretch to demo and then bun again to look polished.

So consider how much work you want to put into styling your hair and if you really want to have more fun than work, do braids. If you don't mind styling your hair every day and maybe having to restyle later in the day and then having to put it to sleep "safely", then go for the flatiron idea. But whatever you do, bunning should be how you show up and then bun again after the demo.

I vote braids. It's hot. I don't know about your family reunions but mine involve a lot of running around so pressed hair would be worthless. Come to think of there were a lot of braids at our last family reunion.

Braid or twist. I just don't trust stylist, none. You can do cute braid/twist styles that show your length. You may even want to try it on blow dried hair for maximum umph :)

Gosh, this is a tough one. Since you are transitioning, and are cutting your hair anyway, I say blow it out, and do the diva bun drop! :yep:

I say flat iron that hair, and have it blowing in the wind...whipping people in the face, and causing rivers of envy!

But that's just what I would do...because I'm a show off. :look::lachen:

Back