silk elements turned my hair brown

favorc

I used silk elements a couple of weeks ago and my hair is high lighted brown. i always had black hair. i use to use the ors but i switched up because of the reviews of SE. i am going back to ors.

everyone notices the brown in my hair and it is really annoying me. my ends are really brown. I have mid back length hair and i don't won't to cut it and i don't won't to dye it because i'm scared it might break.

will my hair turn back to its natural color after a while?
I rinsed the relaxer out good and a use the nuet. shampoo 3 times to make sure it was all out. i basically did my hair the same way I've always been doing it and it has never turned brown until i used silk elements.

anybody have any suggestions or advice? please help!!:(

aileenadq

Are you naturally black or do you have color in your hair? I only ask because I've never heard of a relaxer bleaching hair, only lifting deposited color.

Is your hair broken or damaged in any other way? Damaged hair is lighter than regular hair, because the hair is "stripped".

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I have naturally black hair (not blue black, just black). I've been using SE Mild for about a year and a half now, and I've never noticed a change. (I HAVE noticed when I used demi-perm colors, like Beautiful Browns, a relaxer can lift the color- so I always colored two weeks after a touchup).

I hope this helps...

favorc

thanks for the response:) . i have just black hair too, not blue black. i don't think that my hair is damage because i don't get breakage a lot. this is what i do to my hair:

Pre conditon with lekair for 30 min
than i was my hair with either prosity control or silk elements stimulating shampoo

sometimes i use pros. control conditoner after shampoo and then rinse.

i let my hair air dry and i put it in a bun. i do not use heat. i have not used heat since 1997. my hair is really thick so i'm wondering if some got left be hind?:confused:

when i put my relaxer in i just put it on the new growth. I also have my older sister to help so that i won't overlap. as soon as we put it in we rinse it out with a neutralizing shampoo. then i deep condition, put moisturizer on my hair, wgo, and put it up in a bun. the ony time i comb is when i wash my hair, which is once a week.

do u think my regular color will come back?:perplexed . sorry if it is a dumb Q

Isis

Your question is a very good one.

Some relaxers, like some no-lyes have an ingredient that can turn one's hair more brown, sometimes auburn/brown. I vaguely remember a post about this. Usually, that's after repeated use and using it on all of the hair at some point.

I'm wondering how it affected the color of all of your hair and your ends if you only relaxed the new growth. :scratchch Was anything applied to the length of your hair and ends before relaxing?

sxyhairfetish

Even tho i didnt use use SE, I had the same problem with the Affirm Relaxer. My hair is also a Jet BLACK but when I used Affirm ONE time, it turned my hair brown also! The only thing I did was base my scalp with petroleum and applied the perm to the newgrowth. I now constantly rinse my hair black to get it the color it used to be. I now use ORS and Im happy with it.

Isis

sxyhairfetish said:
Even tho i didnt use use SE, I had the same problem with the Affirm Relaxer. My hair is also a Jet BLACK but when I used Affirm ONE time, it turned my hair brown also! The only thing I did was base my scalp with petroleum and applied the perm to the newgrowth. I now constantly rinse my hair black to get it the color it used to be. I now use ORS and Im happy with it.
So did you put anything on the length of your hair to protect it before relaxing the newgrowth? That's what I was wondering about, how all of the hair color changed.

favorc

nope. i just put the relaxer on my new growth. i applied it by myself so i think i messed up somewhere in the process. me sister did not help me on this one. i based my scalp and that's about it. i didn't put anything on the hair because i don't know of anything to put on the rest of my hair to protect it. if ya'll have any suggestions it will be appreciated. its not brown brown, it is like a dark brown, but my hair has always been black.
i heard that u can put prosity control conditoner on the rest of the hair to protect it but a i never tried it. i'm just always scared:p . i don't want to mess up and start all back over. thanks for the responses ya'll.:)

My hair turned brown after using no-lye relaxers for a few years. Now that I've switched back to lye, I'm noticing that it's darkening up again. Hmmm....I'll have to check to see if I notice any extra browning from my SE touch-up (1st time). Someone did mention they loved my "color" at church on Sunday, but I assumed it was just the leftover no-lye ends that caught some light as I haven't added any color.

Is it possible that the ORS had anything to do with it and now you're just noticing?

kbragg

It could just be sun bleached and people are just now noticing. :) My hair always turns brown/auburn in the summer months.

Isis

favorc said:
nope. i just put the relaxer on my new growth. i applied it by myself so i think i messed up somewhere in the process. me sister did not help me on this one. i based my scalp and that's about it. i didn't put anything on the hair because i don't know of anything to put on the rest of my hair to protect it. if ya'll have any suggestions it will be appreciated. its not brown brown, it is like a dark brown, but my hair has always been black.
i heard that u can put prosity control conditoner on the rest of the hair to protect it but a i never tried it. i'm just always scared:p . i don't want to mess up and start all back over. thanks for the responses ya'll.:)
When retouching, I always protect the length of my hair with any of my favorite oils. I actually saturate my length with oil so just in case any of the relaxer gets on it I can wipe it off and not worry about my hair getting damaged from it. Plus, as I rinse off the relaxer, the oil prevents it from getting to my hair.

CAPlush

I have the same problem. My hair is naturally dark brown, with a few highlights, and all relaxers I've ever tried turn it even lighter. I am hoping that amla oil will darken it some eventually. I will also be switching to a lye relaxer next go round.

JazzyDez

CAPlush said:
I have the same problem. My hair is naturally dark brown, with a few highlights, and all relaxers I've ever tried turn it even lighter. I am hoping that amla oil will darken it some eventually. I will also be switching to a lye relaxer next go round.

me too.....my hair is naturally dark brown and I think the relaxers lightened them up much more over the years because my ends are especially lighter. Its not due to sun b/c my hair rarely sees sunlight....

LovelyLionessa

Wow, I thought I was the only one obsessing about my ends! Relaxers have never lightened my hair, although my ends are brownish with red highlights. My roots are the darkest part of my hair. I'm thinking about getting some indigo to create a more uniform color in my hair.

secretdiamond

People used to alway ask me if I had highlights added to my hair and think my hair was very brown. Me not knowing any better, I tell them, it's natural and my hair just grew like that. :lol:

Coming to LHCF made me realize my stupidity and find out it was the no-lye I was using for years that caused it to happen. :lol: After I switched to lye and had a major cut, this stopped happening. My hair is far fom black, but it's darker. The 'natural' color and highlights were good while they lasted. :lol:

kally

I think this is what happened to me to. I have been doing good being natural for 2 years and decided to tex my hair with this from all the raves (bad move) now my hair has a brown tent to it and badly breaking. I guess I will now have to start over and grow my hair back out with braids.

favorc

kally, sorry about that. :( i know how u feel. i hate this barown tint but it not breaking. i'm just paying extra attention to my hair now so that it won't break. don't cut it all off. just do trims every so often. u don't know how many times i had to start over from bad hair experinces.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I remember reading that the neutralizing shampooo causes this (some of them). I cant remember the specific ingredient that contributes to this tho.