Silicones and daily moisturizing----I NEED INFO!

gissellr78

Ok so i read online that silicone based products seal the hair...So my question is....

If i use silicone based shampoo and conditioner, when i apply my jojoba oil or coconut oil at night is it getting in to the hair shaft? or just coating it?am i moisturizing????

LaidBak

Daily use of cones-for years- caused me to have terribly dry hair even though I washed every three days. I was using NTM Healing Shine Serum exclusively. I will never do it again.

I would vote "no" your oils are not penetrating. But I'm no expert.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I don't think jojoba oil gets in there at all. I don't think it's one of the oils that is absorbed into hair. I could be wrong though..I'm still learning which ones do what. :spinning:

As for the coconut oil, I think it depends on how much silicone you're using as well as how often you're clarifying. If you're using cones every day, then your hair probably is not getting the nutrients from the coconut oil.
But if you just use shampoo and conditioner with cones in them and clarify your hair periodically, I think you should be okay. Stuff can still get past the barrier that it forms, you just have to be careful not to let the silicone build up to the point where they choke your hair.

And even that point is different for everybody, due to differences in hair density, thickness, texture, condition of the hair, etc.. You just really have to listen to your hair and let it tell you when.

I believe that when your hair is coated, you'll know...it's just a feeling. When my hair is coated, she feels greasy and slick, but still dry dry dry. I don't know how it feels for your hair, but I'm sure you do. As long as your hair isn't getting that feeling often, and is happy with what you're doing, (and your hair sure looks happy to me :yep:) then I don't think you need to be worried.

Oh yeah...and I don't know if you're moisturizing or not. In my opinion, coconut oil is more of a sealant than a moisturizer, even if it is partially absorbed. But once again, I could be wrong...stillll learnninngg...:drunk:

I hope that was helpful.

MilkChocolateOne

Your hair is beautiful and healthy. Whatever you are doing keep doing it. Your products and methods are obviously working for you. If i were you, I wouldn't make any changes to your existing regimen or over analyze it.

shtow

Cones are not indestructible barriers. They get a bad rap, but anything can build up on the hair. Matter of fact, with my hair, I get build up much quicker with oil. Cones chip and rub off of the hair all the time. I think as long as you are only using 1-2 cone products, your coconut oil will do you just fine. I wear my hair straight, so I use my heat protecting serum and have no issues with my coconut oil absorbing, as long as I don't overdo it with the cones.

Also, I read an article that said most cones build up after 3 uses. So usually, I clarify every three washes/weeks because I use 1-2 cone products on wash day.

gissellr78

Thanks all...I guess we are all still learning. :look:

I noticed my poo and DC have cones but i love them lol and i do use coconut and jojoba oil and sometimes biosilk during the week..I clarify once a month.