Silicon Mix and Sedal (Remix)

imani97

O.k. so I went and bought Silicon mix and Sedal anti-sponge conditioner today. I couldn't find the leave in, so I decided to use a little of the conditioner as a leave in. I pre-conditioned w/ Humectress, clarify conditioned w/ Rusk, and then applied the Silicon mix. After rinsing it out, it didn't have too much slip. I then applied a bit of Sedal and then Lacio Lacio and started rolling my hair. The consistency of my hair as I rolled was kind of sticky/coated so I sprayed more water on it and continued rolling. I am under the dryer right now and will update once I am dried. I am thinking that I should not have tried to use the Sedal as a leave in. I'm really kind of scared b/c I hate having to do my hair over again when it doesn't turn out right.

Update #1: My hair isn't fully dry yet :mad: so I can't post pics or give a final analysis. I've noticed that my hair is heavier. I've decided that next time I will just do the Silicon mix, although I suspect that that is the culprit. My hair is shiny and I do remember that it was easier for me to comb through my hair after I first rinsed out the Silicon. So, I am thinking that it was the Sedal that messed it up. My deduction... you cannot substitute the conditioner for the leave-in. Other factors, my hair was rinsed a couple of weeks ago and that alone changed the feel of my hair. I also kept my hair saturated while rolling with a mixture of water and glycerine. Hmmmm. Too much going on. Another problem... what to do about my inability to roll tight enough so that my roots don't go crazy. :scratchch I also am not good at detangling. Any advice would be great.

Update #2: My hair is finished drying and I've flat ironed my roots. Overall, my hair turned out wonderfully. I have resolved to only use the Sedal conditioner as a condtioner and not a leave-in. My hair feels wiry/brittle and I believe that it is b/c of the conditioner. My hair is quite shiny however. I added jojoba oil to my after taking the pic. so that my hair gets back its normal texture. The conditioner has formaldehyde in it so I think that that is the culprit of the brittleness now. I don't think that the leave-in has formaldehyde in it. I may have to rewash today b/c of the brittleness. :( I've updated my fotki w/ the picture.

Last edited:
Quote:
"The conditioner has formaldehyde in it"

Watch the labels girl. Dominican products, and products from other countries are not quite as closely examined as products made here. So they can slip in stuff that we wouldn't dare use.

My Silicon mix shampoo for dry damaged hair had the bi "F" in it too, I used it once and my hair was the most tangled dry mess ever.

First off, your hair looks beautiful!!!

Next time why don't you try to just shampoo (instead of using all of the other "pre" stuff) and then using the Silicon Mix and the leave-in without anything else. I think you used a lot of stuff and that could be why your hair felt sticky and then heavy after it dried.

Also, even though there are so many rave reviews about Dominican conditioners, out of about 10 different dominican products that I bought, the only ones that did anything for me was Nacidit Olive Oil Rinse (LOVE IT for my new growth!!!), Salerm Wheat Germ Mask, Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio. So it could be that they are just not going to work for you (hopefully that's not it though).

LiLi said:
First off, your hair looks beautiful!!!

Next time why don't you try to just shampoo (instead of using all of the other "pre" stuff) and then using the Silicon Mix and the leave-in without anything else. I think you used a lot of stuff and that could be why your hair felt sticky and then heavy after it dried.

Also, even though there are so many rave reviews about Dominican conditioners, out of about 10 different dominican products that I bought, the only ones that did anything for me was Nacidit Olive Oil Rinse (LOVE IT for my new growth!!!), Salerm Wheat Germ Mask, Salerm 21 and Lacio Lacio. So it could be that they are just not going to work for you (hopefully that's not it though).
I agree that I may have used too many products. I do believe that the problem was the Sedal b/c it wasn't the leave in and so it may be too harsh to leave on the hair long term. I also did some research and found that formaldehyde makes the hair brittle. I wish I'd done the research ahead of time. It's funny that you mention the Nacidit Olive Oil rinse b/c I haven't been to impressed w/ how it manages my new growth. Maybe I didn't notice. :ohwell: Thanks for commenting and for the compliment.

Well, For the last several weeks I have washed my hair, conditioned, then TREATED my hair with the Silicon Mix Capilar treatment, RINSED THOROUGHLY then rollerset it with a combo of Seda hydraloe leave in and Lacio, Lacio and my hair LOVES THIS! Matter of fact, the pic in my signature (bottom one) is right after using this combo.

I have suffered from no ill effects from using these three products and I'm quite happy because it's been a long time coming, trying to find products that work for me.

My hair has never looked so silky, felt hydrated and most importantly, behaved so well. i'm almost positive that I should be set as far as my hair growing and getting longer finally, from finding the products that it likes.

I truly believe that in the end, everyones hair is different and although some people may have adverse reactions to some products, others might not.

ETA: I do use the Silicon Mix Brillo Leave in as a daily moisterizer and I LOVE IT!!!!

Last edited:
Ok I am the Silicon Mix hater so I can say this proudly:
Sell your product to the desparate ladies that want it. It is not working for you :nono:

I am going to try the mix again. I don't think that that was the problem. The problem was that I was trying to use the regular Sedal conditioner as a leave in. I tried to change my frown on the post to a smile b/c overall, I am pleased w/ the results. So, I am not knocking Sedal or Silicon, just saying that it may not be a good idea to use the regular conditioner as a leave in based upon my experience.

CCD listed the ingredients for the leave in, so this is why I think that the problem may be the conditioner. There isn't Fermaldehyde in the leave-in.

The ingredients are

water, Cetearyl Achocol,Centrimonium Cloride, perfume, Glycerine, Hydroxyethylcellulose, mineral oil, metlyparaben, dmdm hyantoin, dimethiconol*,avocado extract ( persea gratissima*,arginine*, citric acid)

* components of Hydracate ( avocado ingredient)

Arginine :http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/aminoac...s/arginine.html

Persea Gratissima aka avocado oil: http://www.snoi.com/products/avocado.html

Last edited:
anky said:
Ok I am the Silicon Mix hater so I can say this proudly:
Sell your product to the desparate ladies that want it. It is not working for you :nono:

Hey Ank, I thought you liked SM. Didn't you get some from PR?

Im gonna go back to Botanica at some point this weekend to get my Silicon mix!!

Anyhoo...I washed with my Seda conditioner and did NOT like the results. My hair is HARD and while its nothing that Almond Oil cant handle I am ready to give it up. I like my Miss Key 10 en 1, Silicon Mix, BBD or Parvenu Deep conditioner with EVOO mix. Whoever wants the Seda let me know!

I pretty much did the same thing as Miss Jetsetter. I washed with Nexuus Therappe, followed by the Silicon Mix for 20 min. or so. I then rinsed well and rollerset with a bit of Lacio Lacio.....same great results!!!! I will clarify this week, to avoid the buildup caused by use of cones.

I'm also very thrilled with this product, because as I've stated before I've spent a ton of money on stuff that just doesn't work for my hair. So far the only things recommended on the boards that have worked for me are the Silicon Mix, Lacio Lacio, and NTM Serum. I was using Nexxus Therappe, Emergencee and Humectress before joining the forum, and I continue to have success with these products, but I'd like to have alternatives.

CookieLAD said:
I pretty much did the same thing as Miss Jetsetter. I washed with Nexuus Therappe, followed by the Silicon Mix for 20 min. or so. I then rinsed well and rollerset with a bit of Lacio Lacio.....same great results!!!! I will clarify this week, to avoid the buildup caused by use of cones.

I'm also very thrilled with this product, because as I've stated before I've spent a ton of money on stuff that just doesn't work for my hair. So far the only things recommended on the boards that have worked for me are the Silicon Mix, Lacio Lacio, and NTM Serum. I was using Nexxus Therappe, Emergencee and Humectress before joining the forum, and I continue to have success with these products, but I'd like to have alternatives.
So you didn't use the Sedal leave-in? I really wanted to use it b/c humidity absolutely kills my hair. Or atleast used to... actually, I think that I've been able to combat it with my jojoba oil maybe? See what happens when you are a PJ, you don't even recognize when something works! :lachen:

melodee said:
Hey Ank, I thought you liked SM. Didn't you get some from PR?

No, it was an ingredient in my PR mix :) My hair doesn't like it too much and I don't like the smell. I mixed it with a recipe i made recently and will try it soon.

The Silicon Mix conditioner and leave in works great on my hair I deep conditioned with the conditioner with my heating cap for 40 minutes followed by the Silicon Mix leave in conditioner these product really soften my newgrowth.
The Sedal Anti Sponge worked great on my hair also I used it after a co wash.

imani97 said:
So you didn't use the Sedal leave-in? I really wanted to use it b/c humidity absolutely kills my hair. Or atleast used to... actually, I think that I've been able to combat it with my jojoba oil maybe? See what happens when you are a PJ, you don't even recognize when something works! :lachen:

I love the sedal anti-sponge.I mix it with evoo on dry hair...and ntm and coconut oil(on my ends) on wet hair.I have used the silicon mix leave-in mixed with other leave-ins and it rocked for me.

My pj in training wanted to purchase the deep conditioner but the ingrediants scared me a little.They seemed a little to generic and harmful to the hair.

Have you ladies experienced any harmful effects with long term use with silicon mix?

HEy all....

I wanted to mention:

Seda and Sedal are 2 different products..

I have used the Sedal light conditioner and it was fine for me, what I raved about was the leave in to combat frizziness and repel humidity...which it does for me, I never left the conditioner in as a leave in, that might be tooo much for the hair

And, I think if you are going to use Silicon Mix, it would be necessary to clarify every few weeks.....I havent yet and somewhere it was mentioned and I think its a great way to prevent future issues....build-up and possible breakage

I have DAX VEgatable Oil Shampoo and its a clarifier that doesnt strip away color...if anyone has that issue to deal with.

IMANI....I hope you give Sedal Leave in a try, I use it as a styling aid....after I have roller set my hair..... The conditioner might not be good for you....my hair is rather thick so I like *heaviness*...it may not be a good or necessary thing for others

ccd said:
HEy all....

I wanted to mention:

Seda and Sedal are 2 different products..

I have used the Sedal light conditioner and it was fine for me, what I raved about was the leave in to combat frizziness and repel humidity...which it does for me, I never left the conditioner in as a leave in, that might be tooo much for the hair

And, I think if you are going to use Silicon Mix, it would be necessary to clarify every few weeks.....I havent yet and somewhere it was mentioned and I think its a great way to prevent future issues....build-up and possible breakage

I have DAX VEgatable Oil Shampoo and its a clarifier that doesnt strip away color...if anyone has that issue to deal with.

IMANI....I hope you give Sedal Leave in a try, I use it as a styling aid....after I have roller set my hair..... The conditioner might not be good for you....my hair is rather thick so I like *heaviness*...it may not be a good or necessary thing for others
Thanks for the clarification. I think that I also noticed that you raved about the Silicon leave-in not the deep conditioner right? Also, do clarifiers strip rinses from the hair? Also, I did clarify before I used the Silicon deep conditioner. Maybe that is why my hair was shinier the first time. I would love to try the Sedal leave-in, but I don't want to waist money by buying a whole container especially since I'd probably have to find it online. :ohwell:

Back