SILICA: HOW MANY MG DO U TAKE?

MissFallon

I am going to start taking silica but I can't seem to find the avg amount ppl are taking. I am going to be using the Horsetail kind. How much should I take daily? They come in 11mg tabs.

Cien

Pink is my signature color
Is silica and silicon the same thing? I need to look that up..

But anyway..I'm taking liquid silicon.....actually, the brand is Biosil. I take the recommended amount which is 6 drops. 6 drops equal 6mg.

It is nasty as all get out,even when mixed with tomato juice, or any juice---but I'm going to stick with it to see if it helps!!

pistachio

I take BioSil also but I take 54 mg(54 drops) every other day, or sometimes two days in a row. Yeah I go through it alot quicker, but I'm noticing VERY smooth skin, and I think my hair is growing quite a bit faster too because it was only a little over a week since my last relaxer and I've got about 1/4" of ng!! It may not sound that great, but it seems as if I normally don't witness ng until like the fifth week post relaxer, and I witnessed it after week ONE!!:spinning::yep::spinning:

lotusspecter

I take BioSil also but I take 54 mg(54 drops) every other day, or sometimes two days in a row. Yeah I go through it alot quicker, but I'm noticing VERY smooth skin, and I think my hair is growing quite a bit faster too because it was only a little over a week since my last relaxer and I've got about 1/4" of ng!! It may not sound that great, but it seems as if I normally don't witness ng until like the fifth week post relaxer, and I witnessed it after week ONE!!:spinning::yep::spinning:

Wow, that is a lot considering there are only about 600 drops per bottle, not to mention this stuff is not cheap. I can barely stomach the six drops in my carrot juice, how do you handle 54? Do you split it into doses throughout the day?

To those who want to know, silica and silicon are essentially the same thing. With BioSil, they say it contains 600 mg of stabilized Orthosilicic Acid which is what horsetail has to be broken down to in order to be bioavailable. http://www.vitacost.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Biosil-30-ml
I always wondered why the actual amount of silica/silicon was so low compared to horsetail supplements. Has anyone switched from horsetail or bamboo to BioSil and noticed a difference?

MissFallon

bumping cuz I still don't know how much I should take. If they come in 11mg tabs how many do u think I should take?

cici22

I take 6 drops of biosil a day, but I'm going to start taking 20 drops each day since Pistachio has had better results with a higher dosage:grin:...

Last edited:

MissFallon

I went to both websites to order but couldn't find the Solaray silica on either one. Maybe they're sold out:ohwell: I guess I will just start out taking 22 mg of the horsetail silica for right now and later switch when this bottle is up.

What results are u ladies having with the silica? What does it do exactly?

Luvmylife

To the OP:

I found some info about dosing:

"Horsetail is available orally as capsules, tablets, and tincture. For adults, a typical oral dose of horsetail is 300 mg three times a day. Horsetail should be taken with a full glass of water. A tea may be made from soaking one or 2 teaspoons of dried horsetail in about 6 ounces of boiling water for 5 minutes and then straining out the solid particles. Up to three cups of horsetail tea may be consumed per day. No more than 6,000 mg (6 grams) of oral horsetail are recommended to be taken per day. Horsetail should not be taken continuously for more than 5 days."

Taken from this thread:
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/PrintablePages/herbMonograph/0,11475,4126,00.html

HTH!

Neroli

To the OP:

I found some info about dosing:

"Horsetail is available orally as capsules, tablets, and tincture. For adults, a typical oral dose of horsetail is 300 mg three times a day. Horsetail should be taken with a full glass of water. A tea may be made from soaking one or 2 teaspoons of dried horsetail in about 6 ounces of boiling water for 5 minutes and then straining out the solid particles. Up to three cups of horsetail tea may be consumed per day. No more than 6,000 mg (6 grams) of oral horsetail are recommended to be taken per day. Horsetail should not be taken continuously for more than 5 days."

Taken from this thread:
http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/PrintablePages/herbMonograph/0,11475,4126,00.html

HTH!

I've been taking one Puritan Pride Silica Complex tab per day = 500mg horsetail containing 7% silica which is 35mg silica per day. Been taking for 3 weeks straight now (for joints) and after reading the article, I will stop taking on weekends and only take mon-fri, with sat and sun off. Thanks for the info!

keluric

I take silica gel by Hubner. It's quite nasty but I take down the scoopful and immediately drink my MSM-spiked orange juice. A scoopful (scoop included) contains 420mg of silica.

The bottle is 17 ounces so it should last me a little while. This bottle is bigger than my old Body Essentials silica gel... and tastes nastier but oh well.

Last edited: