SHOULDER LENGTH 2011 CHALLENGE!

Since you are transitioning I'll tell you that as a natural, my hair is now thriving in the area where it used to break off! I think the reason I was having a problem there is because the hair back there is finer and more fragile. It couldn't take the abuse and so it simply broke off. Now that I'm natural and properly moisturizing my hair on a regular basis, I think it's actually growing faster and maintaining better than the parts of my hair I thought were more resilient!!

Actually my hair is already all natural in that spot. the back half of my hair doesn't have any relaxer left. It is still fragile and thinner than the rest of my hair, but so far it has not been breaking off. My scalp still gets tender or irritated in that area occasionally, but not as much as before.

Tody Ill deep condition my hair under the steamer ill use this mixture(honey, jojoba oil, coconut oil, mustard oil) then ill cowash with ginniani and rinse with rose merry and horse tail

I want to join too please!!!

What is your current length?
About NL

Relaxed/natural/texlaxed/transitioning?
Relaxed

What is your goal date to make SL?
Summer 2011 - I have about 3.5-4 inches to go.

How do you plan on getting to SL?
Continue with my current regimen - Protective styling/Low manipulation styles - Braids/Twists and/or braid outs; Relaxer stretches - I do about 12 weeks now but my goal is to only get one between now and next summer; Don't use growth aids but I do take multivitamins; Minimal heat - air dry my hair and reduce use of flat iron

What's your long term hair goal?
APL

Why is your hair currently short?
It has always been short. I was natural until high school but it was never longer than it is now.

Was it intentionally cut or from a setback?
Both I guess. Until recently, I've have scissor happy hair dressers. In their defense my ends until recently have always become raggedy due to excessive heat and overprocessing.

Will this be your first time making SL?
Yep. *Fingers crossed*

Last edited:
between neck and shoulder length in the back...like almost chin length on the sides, and the very front comes to my nose when stretched

natural

March 2011...but i'll just say Spring 2011 (that includes April & May just to be safe lol)

protective styling and low mani...i'll be wearing a weave from mid january, till march...i dont use heat

WL...but realistically BSL/BSB or MBL

BC'd March 25th 2010

intentionally

nope...as a child my hair was atleast MBL...relaxed my hair was always either stuck between shoulder length and apl, or just slightly below my shoulders

How often are we going to show update photos? Also pn the subject of thin edges it may just be you have thin hair their.....my hair is thick but certain spots of my scalp are just thin...same with my mother and sister.

I would like to join this challenge. I have not been shoulder length since 9th grade. lol
neck length

March 2011

relaxed

How do you plan on getting to SL? (ie. Protective styling, no heat, stretching relaxers, growth aids, etc)
I will take vitamins each day, try to use little heat, stretch relaxer at least 10 weeks.
Whats your long term length goal?
I just would like healthy hair.

How often are we going to show update photos? Also pn the subject of thin edges it may just be you have thin hair their.....my hair is thick but certain spots of my scalp are just thin...same with my mother and sister.

I didn't specify a length check timetable bc I know a lot of ladies r in those hide your hair challenges or braid/weave challenges and already have dates planned that they straighten and/or length check. But I will gladly add a length check timetable to the challenge guidelines if that is the consensus of the challengers.

I've been pondering when exactly will I claim SL bc I have scoliosis and my right shoulder is a lot higher than my left shoulder. :lol::drunk:

If I go with the right shoulder I'm very close. :scratchch

Hey count me ladies in since this is my current goal

5 1/2-6 1/2 in.

Natural

May 2011 Just in time for the summer :)

Continue with my current regimen - Protective styling with Low manipulation styles - Braid outs,Plaits, Bantu Knots; Apply a moisturizer every 1-2 days, Low poo 1x a month, D. Co-Wash every 2 wk, Steam whenever hair feels dry, Air dry my hair and NO HEAT

Waist length baby! :yep:

I BC Late July 2009 but before then I was relaxed with no more than neck length hair

Both. My BC of course is the 2st time but I damaged my hair once without having the knowledge to not try to comb dry un-stretched hair. This resulted in a deep trim :cry2:
Yes! I'm so excited :grin:

Will update pic in Dec.

Last edited:
This may be a not so smart question but, what constitutes as shoulder length hair? Touching the shoulders, or hanging on the shoulders?

I'll join!!! Even though I'm really bad about posting in the threads!

Layered neck length.

FEB 2011

Relaxed.

How do you plan on getting to SL? (ie. Protective styling, no heat, stretching relaxers, growth aids, etc)
Going to the salon and get a rollerset weekly. Take my ultra plus vitamins.

MBL- WL

Attachments

• IMG00100-20101017-1847.jpg
    IMG00100-20101017-1847.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 68
This may be a not so smart question but, what constitutes as shoulder length hair? Touching the shoulders, or hanging on the shoulders?

I don't think this is a... "not so smart" question! :lol: I've wondered the same thing! Still though, I plain on claiming SL when my hair comfortably touches my shoulders without being pulled! :yep:

I've seen a wide spectrum of different variations of what people claim to be SL, then its even more shaky when u take into account layers and hair that grows in U's and V's or shorter on the sides.

Nonie posted this diagram in a thread last week or so about going from SL to APL. I've seen some people claim it at the first line of the chart, but I won't be claiming it until I'm at the second line.

Attachments

• NonSkeletalHairGrowthChart-vi.jpg
    NonSkeletalHairGrowthChart-vi.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Thanks that is a very good chart! I agree with you, the second line is what I will claim as SL. Another question (lol) for those who are natural are you claiming SL stretched? unstretched?

I'm in!!!

Ear length - growing out a short cut

October 2011

relaxed

supplements, deep conditioning, protective styling (sew-ins and quick weaves)

MBL

What is everyone's regime? I'm such a nosey person

here is mine: I co wash everyday with either motions, or herabl essence. After i towel dry i put beemine sulfer on my scalp. Then I add infusium 23 moisturizer in my hair and then seal with an oil. I will seal with olive oil, castor oil, or doo gro oil. I DCand hot oil my hair once or twice a week. I started taking vitmains this week. I take a multi, flax, and biotin. And I wear wash in go's everyday. I alos sleep with my bonnet everyday.

here is mine: I co wash everyday with either motions, or herabl essence. After i towel dry i put beemine sulfer on my scalp. Then I add infusium 23 moisturizer in my hair and then seal with an oil. I will seal with olive oil, castor oil, or doo gro oil. I DCand hot oil my hair once or twice a week. I started taking vitmains this week. I take a multi, flax, and biotin. And I wear wash in go's everyday. I alos sleep with my bonnet everyday.

I'll share!

I'm kind of doing an experiment. I was getting salon flat irons weekly (at a salon that does only natural hair), and my hair was showing progress but sometimes it just seemed kinda limp and dry. So I did a total 180. No heat, no cones, no mineral oil/petrolatum, no sulfates. When I straighten in February, I will then assess if this has helped my progress.

So, I prepoo with EVOO, wet and detangle with my fingers first, then a wide tooth comb, then my wider spaced Denman (forget the number), then the basic D3. Shampoo, DC under steamer, and braid and/or twist under half wigs. I just moisturize and oil throughout the week; a comb or brush never touches my hair except on wash day. I shampoo weekly.

Last edited:
ill be claiming it at the second line full coz now one layer is already there waiting for the rest to catch up (am adating chicoro's book methods)
today i recieved my rice bran oil and my heempseed oil am so excited ill start ceramide tonight hope it will work with evening my layers :)
ill prepoo overnight with rice bran and cowash in the morning and seal with heempseed i can't stand it on my scalp

I'll join this.

Current length: neck length with natural layers.

I wanna claim shoulder length by september 2011

My long term goal is bsl

I'm natural

I don't really ps but I do stick to my regimen consistently.

I wash with elasta qp creme shampoo once a week. I dc with con argan oil treatment once a week. 2 min keratin treatment every 2 weeks. I moisturize with either my version of kimmaytubes leave in, s curl or shea butter moisturizing detangling lotion. I mainly wear twist outs to prevent ssks. If I get bored I'll have my little sister cornrow my hair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Long Hair Care Forum App

Let's see. Well right now I wash and DC (with heat) on a weekly basis, alternating between moisturizing and protein shampoos & conditioners, and clarifying as needed. I also do protein treatments as my hair needs them. I moisturize and seal with oil everyday. I've significantly decreased my use of heat to once a week and try not to comb excessively and don't really use a brush. I am going to be wearing braids soon to give my hair a break though. I'm also taking a multivitamin daily. I'm relaxed so this past year I was doing 12 week stretches and am going to try 14 for this coming year.

Last edited:
I want to join in :)

I'm in!!!

Neck length

May 2011

texlaxed

supplements, growth aids, deep conditioning, protective styling (braids, sew-ins)

MBL

i have a little dilema. My hair in the back matts like crazy! I co wash everyday and still my hair matts by mid-day. I'm losing hair over this. I hate to say it but I may be relaxing my hair as soon as this coming Wed.

Off topic, but I see ur in the Atl area, will u be attending the meetup next wknd?
Yup this will be my first one, I'm excited! Just hope I don't get lost trying to get there, I'm on the south side so I really don't know that area

I'd like to join this challenge too..if not too late..

layered neck length. Same as OP

April 2011

Relaxed

I stretch my relaxers, currently 16 wks post..Had cornrows put in at wk14 and will keep them in till the end of this month. will relax in Jan. I wash 1x a week/alternate btwn moisture/protein DC..heat only used when DC'ing..usually air dry and bun.

Why is your hair currently short? I wanted a change..Never had my hair cut short (bob)..Have been mbl years ago, cut it to sl in high school..always floated between sl and apl..I've decided to grow it out because I don't like being locked into "one look". DH loved the look, but I've gotta go back to growing now..it was fun while it lasted.

Back