Should this bother me...?

michc

..because it does :sad:

http://www.premier.org.uk/features/Young%20Preacher.aspx

This year sees the launch of the very first Young Preacher of the Year Competition, a project run in partnership by Premier Christian Media and the College of Preachers. Our aim is to find the very best up-and-coming preachers from across the UK.

If you think you have got what it takes to impress our panel of adjudicators and you are aged between 18 and 30 as of 18th January 2010 then you are welcome to enter. Entrants must provide a sermon preached in an act of worship, in audio format with transcript. You must also have the endorsement of an ordained minister within your church.

To register your interest in taking part please complete you details below and press submit. Entries are open from 1st March - 28th May 2010, and the Awards will take place in November 2010.

..the bolded especially bothers me. Am I being too sensitive?

What do you ladies think?

Uber

Hmmm, I think I know what you getting at. I was discussing with my hubbie last night as to why the most popular preachers have a lot of showmanship. I personally think its better not to bother myself with these things and concentrate on serving and knowing God for myself. Let God be the judge!!

I think if they are very young kids it may not matter so much but I think a matured in the Lord pastor should not be concerned wih winning some contest. I would probably steer away from this contest if I were to be a Pastor and rely on God to promote me.

Last edited:

makeupgirl

I can see why this would bother you. I wouldn't worry about it though. They have to give an account one day.

michc

Hmmm, I think I know what you getting at. I was discussing with my hubbie last night as to why the most popular preachers have a lot of showmanship. I personally think its better not to bother myself with these things and concentrate on serving and knowing God for myself. Let God be the judge!!

I think if they are very young kids it may not matter so much but I think a matured in the Lord pastor should not be concerned wih winning some contest. I would probably steer away from this contest if I were to be a Pastor and rely on God to promote me.

That's it right there.

I just keep thinking it's so X-Factor/American Idol/Apprentice/reality show-ish/worldy and it just bugs me.

Guitarhero

..because it does :sad:

http://www.premier.org.uk/features/Young Preacher.aspx

This year sees the launch of the very first Young Preacher of the Year Competition, a project run in partnership by Premier Christian Media and the College of Preachers. Our aim is to find the very best up-and-coming preachers from across the UK.

If you think you have got what it takes to impress our panel of adjudicators and you are aged between 18 and 30 as of 18th January 2010 then you are welcome to enter. Entrants must provide a sermon preached in an act of worship, in audio format with transcript. You must also have the endorsement of an ordained minister within your church.

To register your interest in taking part please complete you details below and press submit. Entries are open from 1st March - 28th May 2010, and the Awards will take place in November 2010.

..the bolded especially bothers me. Am I being too sensitive?

What do you ladies think?

Maybe not. Good sermons are judged along many aspects and showmanship might not be one of those they are looking for. Effective communication, interesting, biblical etc. Some pastors lack experience or do not possess the best communication skills.

Previously, there were no online/television/radio ministries and things have progressed with the times. Same with worship styles in general. But if it's positive and allows for giving it all one has, then I don't see there's anything wrong with promoting excellence.

Last edited:

Uber

Maybe not. Good sermons are judged along many aspects and showmanship might not be one of those they are looking for. Effective communication, interesting, biblical etc. Some pastors lack experience or do not possess the best communication skills.

Previously, there were no online/television/radio ministries and things have progressed with the times. Same with worship styles in general. But if it's positive and allows for giving it all one has, then I don't see there's anything wrong with promoting excellence.

I hope the things that you described are what they will be judging. It just seems strange that there need be a competition to do all of this. Like being a Pastor was some sort of popularity contest.

Anyway tbh I don't want to get myself concerned with these things

michc

I hope the things that you described are what they will be judging. It just seems strange that there need be a competition to do all of this. Like being a Pastor was some sort of popularity contest.

Exactly.

Anyway tbh I don't want to get myself concerned with these things

Too true - I need to stop letting it bug me and just pray for those involved.