Should pulling fingers thru hair = breakage??? HELP!

Dymondz7

HELP! When I run my finger through my hair I experience breakage every time. I press my index finger and tumb together (very gently) run them through my hair and I get about 5 pieces of hair of all different lengths between my fingers each time. I'm not sure why this happens. Please offer any advice. I know if this continues to occur I will not see any length in 2005 and will have thin see thru ends - Yuck! Here's my hair history:

4a/b 7-8 inches
*Relaxed - use Motions Herbal Mosturizing Lye relaxer in mild every 10-12 weeks - currently 7 wks post relaxer (self relax)

*Did a heavy protein treatment 3 weeks ago - used Joico K Pak

*Shampoo 2-3 X's per week with ALLWAYS Moisturizing shampoo or Kera Care Hydrating shampoo (clarify with Suave about once a month)

*Condition with hooded dryer using Kera Care Humecto and every 3rd shampoo with ORS Hair Mayonnaise

*Daily moisturizers includes NTM leave in, Kemy Oil Shea butter pomade, jojoba oil, QP H-Two and sometime use WGO to manage new growth

*Daily style is usually a bun - twist out sometimes

*Cover nightly with a satin scarf and sleep on satin pillowcase

Take hair, nails and skin vitamin as well as fish, borage and flax seed - everyday. And I drink plenty of water.

*I trimmed about 1/2 inch on Nov. 28th, hoping this would stop the breakage, but it didn't!

Is there anything in my routine that could be causing this constant breakage? Please offer any recommendations on how I can stop the breakage. I want 2005 to be my year to grow beautiful, healthy strong hair.

That's a stumper :confused: Your regimen sounds pretty good...maybe it's the bun? Do you pull it back tightly? And how do you secure the ends of it? Maybe the pins you're using are breaking it off. That's why I had to stop wearing a bun as a daily protective style. The constant stress of being pulled back and held with pins caused it to start breaking off. Every time I ran my hand through or combed, it would show broken strands. Maybe someone else can better answer your question, but I think it may be the bun...

Hugs,
Crys

sorry to hear about your breakage.

Your regime looks good, but here are some suggestions. You don't have to do any of this, but this has worked for me :)

1. Try minimizing the frequency of shampoos (at least until the breakage stops/minimizes). For the time in between shampoos, focus on moisture, moisture, moisture as I'm sure you already do.

2. Eliminate the hood drying for that 3rd shampoo which according to your regime might be once a week... Could be too much heat for YOU. (Again, I don't know you, but either of these could be the culprit) ;)

HTH

I'm really sorry about the breakage. That's always a scare.

I agree with Andrea. Sometimes less is more. Some people are able to wash their hair more frequently, in fact NEED to wash/shampoo more often due to producing a lot of oils. Maybe your hair just cannot handle it.

Also, is it possible that you may need a trim?

ETA: I just read that you had a trim, so maybe that's not the problem.

Is your hair over processed? Your regimine seems really good...can't see why you'd have breakage.

It really sounds like you have split ends higher up the shaft. Something that I never realized that my dry hands (because of the winter) might cause some snags in the hair and break it off.

Also with all the daily moisturizers that you are using you might want to clarify once a week despite your frequent washing. I wash every day with (shampoo and condition) and I use Redken Cleansing Cream once a week to clarify. It is the most gentle clarifier that I have used and you only need a small amount.

Oh, also I thought I remembered someone saying that Joico caused more breakage around the summertime (I try to find the post(s)).

But I really believe that it is just split ends that are further up the hair shaft.

Thank you so much for the tips! I do use bobby pins to secure my bun, which might be contributing to the breakage. Also the frequency of the ORS Hair Mayo w/heat could be the culprit. Lastly my former beautician - until about 5 months ago - use to fry my hair by spritizing each piece with Sebastians holding spray before flat ironing. I went weekly and she would get it bone straight each visit. She also trimmed every six weeks during my touch up visit. The funny thing is - she blamed me for having dry hair and not knowing how to take care of my hair between visits!!! After finding out about LCHF I decided to fire her take care of my own hair.

So I am thinking my hair might be split higher up the shaft. Which means I might need to cut more. But before I pull out the siscors (sp?), I'll consider decreasing the number of shampoos and find alternate methods (besides pins) for securing my buns. Hopefully I can stop the breakage without having to cut too much more. Thanks again, I truly appreciate the recommendations!

When did you first notice this breakage?

As I mentioned in another thread recently, one probablilty is to check iron levels by getting a blood test. This reveals the red blood cell count. I've learned that a low red blood cell count (anemia) equals hair breakage every time. The remedy is taking iron and adding iron rich foods in your diet. If you decide to do this, check with your doctor first.

Dymondz7 said:
Thank you so much for the tips! I do use bobby pins to secure my bun, which might be contributing to the breakage. Also the frequency of the ORS Hair Mayo w/heat could be the culprit. Lastly my former beautician - until about 5 months ago - use to fry my hair by spritizing each piece with Sebastians holding spray before flat ironing. I went weekly and she would get it bone straight each visit. She also trimmed every six weeks during my touch up visit. The funny thing is - she blamed me for having dry hair and not knowing how to take care of my hair between visits!!! After finding out about LCHF I decided to fire her take care of my own hair.

So I am thinking my hair might be split higher up the shaft. Which means I might need to cut more. But before I pull out the siscors (sp?), I'll consider decreasing the number of shampoos and find alternate methods (besides pins) for securing my buns. Hopefully I can stop the breakage without having to cut too much more. Thanks again, I truly appreciate the recommendations!

Hi Dymondz ~
Sorry to read about your breakage. I know it can be disheartening - but good for you for kicking your negligent stylist to the curb and taking proactive steps towards stronger, longer hair! Have you thought about using silk scrunchies for your buns? (I buy them at the local drugstore but others have had success online with the ones from tenderheaded.com.) I also like Good Hair Day Pins, which I found out about here on LHCF. I know Allandra (one of the moderators) originally suggested them and believe me when I say her hair is :eek: gorgeous!:eek: (and waist-length :)). I couldn't find any in regular stores so I bought mine from hairboutique.com.

The only other thing that occurred to me is that even though you're using products that are supposed to be moisturizing, like KeraCare Humecto, maybe they're not moisturizing enough for your hair during the winter or during any season. What works for some (or even many) doesn't always work for everyone, so maybe a moisturizing search is in order?

I wish you the best of luck!

Thanks Nyambura for the tips - especially the fact that I might need more moisture. Although my hair was nearly waist length as a little girl, I've always had extremely dry hair. I just moved to Chicago and this is my first real winter so I think you might be on to something when you mention reevaluating moisture for my hair. I'll check out some old threads for recommendations.

Also if anyone with extremely dry hair has found success with maintaining moisture in a very cold climate - let me know.

i cosign with everyone who think the culprit is the bobby pins. if you're anything like me, you position and reposition the bobby pin(s) until your bun is perfect. you're undoubtedly snapping strands of hair when you do that. when you run your fingers through your hair, you're pulling out the snapped pieces of hair. i would suggest being more careful with the bobby pins and keeping your hands out of your hair! ;)

Back