Should Lye Relaxers Also Use A Chelating Shampoo?

vtoodler

Those who use no-lye relaxers are often advised to wash their hair with a chelating shampoo monthly since no-lye relaxers tend to leave calcium deposits in the hair.

Should lye relaxers also do the same as a precautionary measure?

If you relax with a lye perm, do you chelate your hair, and if so, how often?

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I never have. I just don't do all that extra stuff that I learned about when I first started on my Journey. My memory stinks and it's hard to remember that stuff so I try to keep it simple. I use a sulfate shampoo 2-3x weekly. I prepoo and Dc with every wash, and I also do an ACV rinse after every wash. This is pretty much my wash routine.

demlew

I use lye and I don't chelate because lye doesn't have the calcium deposits that chelate shampoos are used to remove. I use an SLS-free shampoo or a clarifier (as needed). My hair retains moisture better with lye relaxers, so now I can do less to maintain it.

Dposh167

using a chelator isn't just for calcium deposits from a relaxer.
calcium and mineral deposits can come from hard water....pipes....or your water source in general when u wash your hair.

so you can be lye, no lye, or natural and still benefit from a chelator

eta: i'm relaxed LYE..and i use a chelator. But more so for my hard water and old pipes. Sometimes sulfate poos just don't cut it

InBloom

In my new-growth
I'm relaxed, lye. I feel the need to chelate (Kenra) about once every two-three months or so. Its mainly for the hard water where I live. I have a Sprite filter, but I chelate just to remove whatever the filter may have missed. My chelating is not because of my lye relaxer.