Should I do an in-between trim???

taylokc

Hey guys, what do you think about this??? Im about 2hours away from my stylists. (Im in college) I only go to her about every 8 weeks or so and she gives me a trim when I get my relaxers done. I know that this is what she's supposed to do because I have 8weeks of split ends for her to cut, but I was thinking that maybe I could go to one of the salons down here (Regal, JCpenney etc.) and let them clip my ends around 4weeks post my relaxers and let my regular stylist back home clip my ends every other visit. Do you think I can retain more length this way? I want to be MBL by December.

P.S. Im about 3inches from BSL, 4a/4b
P.S. I just ordered Gro Aut Sample kit :grin::grin::grin:
P.S.S I attend college in a majority white town, there are no black stylist that's why I said Regal or JCpenney salons. Thats all we have to choose from:rolleyes:

Kurlee

Don't believe the hype (from your stylist). If you are taking care of your ends, you shouldn't need a trim every 8 weeks, let alone sooner than that. You're cutting off all ur progress basically. How damaged is your hair?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I cut my ends ends every 6 months, when I go to the stylist to get my relaxers..If your ends are hea her cut ya healthy keep it that way, and dont let cut good hair off!

taylokc

OMG!! That's what I thought. I thought if I come to her and I have at least 2inches of new growth and she cuts off what I call an inch (at least one fingerbreath of hair) isn't that cutting off my progress. That's why I joined the 3month challenge on LHCF because I figured since my last relaxer was the second week of January then my next relaxer could be in June. I just hate when I get my ends clipped becuase it feels like all my hard work and money gets clipped way:sad:. I don't know what to do.:perplexed:perplexed Should I tell her to clip my ends every other visit (every 6 months)??? because my hair grows very fast and I feel like I can reach my goal of MBL if I don't get my ends clipped even if I do have a few that are split. Please respond

taylokc

Im just to the point now where I don't care how uneven my hair is I just want length.....AAAAHHHH!!!!

Hair Iam

once a year trims ..dusting in between unless I have damed or split ends . Every 8 weeks sounds like a scissor happy stylist to me ..I know that doesn't answer your question but I disagree with what she's been doing to your hair.

taylokc

Thanks next time I go to her Im going to tell her that I only want her to cut my hair once a year. She's like a second mother to me so she should understand.

Kurlee

Every other touch up sounds good to me. Nobody's hair grows even and as soon as your hair grows it will be uneven again. Uneven hair does not =unhealthy. Its just that different parts of your hair will reach mbl faster because, think about it this way, ur nape is closer to ur mid back, than the top of your head right? So it has a "longer way to travel". she may cut it even at a touch up, but the hair underneath will always outgrow the hair higher up. I hope im making sense. Anyhoo, i say every other touchup and baby your ends, and when you do go for a trim, don't let her cut more than an inch MAX. Some stylists will bug you and expect you to cut your hair off because you haven't had a trim in a long time. Everyone I know who goes to a stylist regularly, even though their hair is very blunt, it stays the same length, for years. only cut when there is damage.

Last edited:

taylokc

Wow....great advice, girl. I going to try to think about it that way. My nape is only about 2inches long. That's what Im really trying to retain becuase the hair in the middle of my head goes all the way down my back until about 3 inches above BSL. That's why I wanted to grow my hair MBL, hoping that my nape catches up one day. Keep it coming ladies............