Should I buy a hair steamer?

JudithO

I finally got rid of my hooded dryer, so I can justify getting a steamer... Hair is really dry naturally, and can use the moisture BUT

1. I've had a steamer in the past... I used it twice.. returned it... my scalp was sore from the steam opening up my pores and hair was harder to detangle but I probably wasn't using the right products. Also maybe I can steam for less time..

2. I don't mind overnight DC'ing.

3. I only plan to use it once per month... I'm generally in braids/twists and redo hair once per month

4. Hair is fine - dense - 4z

5. I don't know if the $114 for the huetiful is worth it. Don't have the space for the stand up one..

Given all the factors above, if you were in my shoes, would you buy a steamer and why?

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I wouldn't given your bullet points. I have a standing steamer, use it more often, and only have had positive effects from it. I can't DC overnight, so if that method works for you, a steamer would not be worth it for a monthly treatment.

Nonie

@NappyNelle How do you steam more often? you are always in braid/twists too...

@judy4all, not Nappynelle here but why do you think braids and twists would prevent one from sitting under a steamer? (When we baggy--which a lot of us in braids and twists do--the "greenhouse effect" as some have called it is similar to being under a steamer...only the "moisture" that condenses inside the baggy comes from hair and scalp not from a machine. It doesn't affect the braids or twists but actually seems to penetrate them for proper moisturizing of all strands.)

JudithO

Nonie I would think that the steam will make the braids all fuzzy and cause it to even tangle more at the bottom... more than just cowashing your hair... maybe i'm wrong.

NappyNelle

judy4all Yep... I steam in my twists. Lately, I've been bunning, so I've washed and steamed every week for the past three weeks (too lazy to twist). In the summer, I would steam 2x a month in twists or with loose hair.

I use my steamer pretty often. I'm always looking for an excuse to use it. LOL

Nonie

@Nonie I would think that the steam will make the braids all fuzzy and cause it to even tangle more at the bottom... more than just cowashing your hair... maybe i'm wrong.

judy4all What I find the "steaming" from baggying to do is make twists even neater. The condensation causes the flyaways to shrink back and lie on the twists as if pulling into the twists. I hope these examples help to show you what I mean:

Here's a pic of my hair cornrowed with flyaways and an untidy hairline (I'd used Curlformers on the back):

When I brushed that hairline and baggied my head for the night (plaiting the back as I always do to loose hair), my hair shrunk as is expected so I had a puff the next day but notice how neat the cornrows looked:

Here's another example. Notice how fuzzy my twists look?

Well, if I go to bed with a baggy--doesn't even have to be Saran wrap which is a sure way of setting a style; even a regular plastic bag or plastic shopping bag will work--the condesation causes that fuzz to lie down so that the hair looks fresh in the morning. Although it's hard to see, I assure you these twists look as if freshly done:

If I remember to take pics specifically for a demonstration of how baggying can keep braided or twisted styles looking fresh, I will do so. Right now my twists don't look fuzzy enough for you to be able to see the difference.

IMO what makes braids or twist fuzzy is:

- if your hair was straightened first before you put them in so that moisture causes shrinkage that causes an accordion effect on the braid;

- if you rough the braids or twists up like some people might when washing;

- if either braids or twists were not done firmly enough so that moisture makes the shrinkage make shorter hairs stick out; (with twists, twirling each section before wrapping it around the other would be one way to ensure firm twist that can withstand moisture w/o becoming untidy. I have previously posted this image of 4 week old twists that had been washed 8 times. The fuzz you see would contract against the twists and look so neat after baggying.)

JudithO

@judy4all Yep... I steam in my twists. Lately, I've been bunning, so I've washed and steamed every week for the past three weeks (too lazy to twist). In the summer, I would steam 2x a month in twists or with loose hair.

I use my steamer pretty often. I'm always looking for an excuse to use it. LOL

NappyNelle LOL .... And your twists still look okay after steaming?

Ann0804

No I wouldn't since it didn't work well for you before. I am stuck with a huge steamer now after realizing that steaming just dries my hair out.

NappyNelle

judy4all I think so! lol But they do frizz, condense, and unravel in the back a bit. Here's a pic of styles twists after steaming:

(Sorry the pic is so dark)

JudithO

Nonie How do you baggy that it comes out so smooth? Just moisturize, plastic cap and sleep? Do you scarf then baggy? Or baggy then scarf?

Nonie

@Nonie How do you baggy that it comes out so smooth? Just moisturize, plastic cap and sleep? Do you scarf then baggy? Or baggy then scarf?

judy4all I probably get the neatest results when I use Saran wrap to baggy--which is what I do when I want to create my style the night before so that I don't have to do anything in the AM but take it out and head out the door. Saran wrap works both as a scarf and baggy.

Here's a pic of me using Saran wrap. I don't use any products whatsoever on my twists, so I baggy bare:

In the morning, I just took it off and add the clip to the back and was ready for work:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Based on your bullet points, you should consider the home grown steam method. I love my standing steamer and get good use out of it. Much like @NappyNelle, I have achieved positive results from using it.

ETA: including home grown steam link.