Shedding and breakage

Meemee6223

Quick questions. This is the second week of my first hair journey and first attempt at taking care of my hair which is damaged from heat and relaxers.

I was wondering if since I am experiencing a lot of shedding along with some breakage is it better to leave my hair in a ponytail until I wash it or if it's better to continue combing out the shedding and breaking hairs and moisturize everyday? Also with 1 1/2 inches of new growth how can I keep it from breaking off at the two different textures? If my hair breaks at that point doesn't that also damage my natural hair?

Oh, I was also wondering about moisturizing and sealing. If I moisturize then seal doesn't the oil seal out moisture that I apply the next day???

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Prudent1

Meemee6223,

I was wondering if since I am experiencing a lot of shedding along with some breakage is it better to leave my hair in a ponytail until I wash it or if it's better to continue combing out the shedding and breaking hairs and moisturize everyday?
I would say low manipulation is the way to go since you already have damaged hair. A few days w/o coming your hair should not result in an abundance of shed, tangled hair:nono:.

Also with 1 1/2 inches of new growth how can I keep it from breaking off at the two different textures?
You will need to get your hair's moisture/protein balance in check. When I started on my HHJ, I did weekly protein treatments followed by weekly DC. I only CWed at that time. My hair was parched. I knew nothing about sealing but I knew how to do a strand test. Learn how to assess your strands and tell the diff between shed hairs vs broken hairs. All of the above will determine what steps you need to take next.:yep:

If I moisturize then seal doesn't the oil seal out moisture that I apply the next day?
Sort of, I mean it will if you do heavy sealing but, if you moisturize properly, you can go several days w/o adding additional moisture after sealing. It sounds like you are manipulating your already damaged hair a little too much right now. Try a simple reggie like CWing, apply a lv-in, seal, then PS maybe twice a week tops for now. Sealing on wet or partially damp hair helps too.
HTH

honeybearmommy32

Aphogee 2 step treatment stopped my breaking and shedding in its tracks....This resets your scalp to a healthier growing/retaining environment

Also, if ur into hair vitamins, my derm at the time, had me purchase Biotin from the local pharmacy. 3,000mcg worked like a charm...