4a3c Breakage & Shedding...help :(

eastafricangal

Hey ya'll, I'm new to the forum and I really need some help with my hair before I chop it all off. I've been dealing with some breakage and shedding. I suspect from my poor diet.

MBL Length
Type 4A3C
Low Porosity
Fine Strands
High Density
Super High Shrinkage

a.) If I try to use a braid out/twist out, my hair never turns out right.

b.) If I try a wash n go, it shrinks up below my chin and I have to re-moisturize it the next day. I also end up with a lot of tangles.

c.) If I try to keep it stretched with blowouts, my hair is manageable but dry.

d.) I like buns, but I wear them pretty loose... so I don't understand the breakage.

I attached some pictures. My hair when it was healthy, it's current state with breakage and shedding, and finally my insane shrinkage.

I'm desperate for help at this point :( Can I recover from this, or should I just chop?

Attachments

• IMG_0857.JPG
    IMG_0857.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    910.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1570 2.JPG
    IMG_1570 2.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1570 2.JPG
    IMG_1570 2.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1259.JPG
    IMG_1259.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

eastafricangal

Can you tell us a bit more about your regimen (what products you use, how often you wash, deep condition, use heat, etc)? That way we can suggest ways to tweak what you’re currently doing to get better results.

I used heat 3-4 times at the beginning of the year and then stopped all together. Recently blow dried my hair and did a trim (second picture of me in the pink shirt).

Weekly Regimen:

Shampoo: DevaCurl Low-Poo or Trader Joes Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemee Luxurious Moisture Conditioner (detangle with a wide tooth comb) or Aussie Moist
Deep Conditioner: TGIN Honey Miracle Mask & Olive Oil (under hooded dryer for an hour)
Leave In (varies): Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Curls Maker
Oil: Moroccan Argan Oil, Olive Oil

LCO method.

Then I let my hair air dry. Pull my hair back in a very loose bun the rest of the week because IDK what to do with it. I'll wet it in the shower every morning and apply a leave-in.

Products I've Tried:

Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioning Repair Cream
ORS Olive Oil for Naturals Butter Whipped Leave In Conditioning Creme
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen/Grow and Restore Leave-in Conditioner
Kinky Curly Knot Today

frizzy

I haven't been DCing regularly at all for the past year or so, so what I do is wet my dry hair with a leave-in and twist or plait overnight. I'll use Mane n Tail conditioner for protein. I add oils and butter accordingly.

Last edited:

Theresamonet

I would say start with a clarify with a sulfate shampoo because you could have buildup from the heavy cones in those conditioners. Then do a good protein treatment because your reggie has no protein in it. Then reassess from there.

@eastafricangal

This. Clarify and then do a hard protein treatment (followed by a moisturizing DC).

It’s not all about moisture. You need to maintain a good moisture/protein balance. Regularly include some strengthening products into your routine.

Also, and some may disagree with me, but I strongly believe that if you’re going to be using products with silicones in them, then low poo/no poo/sulfate free isn’t going to cut it, especially not for an extended period of time. I use a sulfate shampoo whenever I’ve used silicones or anything that heavily coates the strands. I use low poos/co-washes/sulfate frees when I’ve only used products that are completely water soluble. And I chelate every once in a while also. If you have hard water or have been in swimming pools this summer, you may want to as well.

Sarabellam

@eastafricangal

This. Clarify and then do a hard protein treatment (followed by a moisturizing DC).

It’s not all about moisture. You need to maintain a good moisture/protein balance. Regularly include some strengthening products into your routine.

Also, and some may disagree with me, but I strongly believe that if you’re going to be using products with silicones in them, then low poo/no poo/sulfate free isn’t going to cut it, especially not for an extended period of time. I use a sulfate shampoo whenever I’ve used silicones or anything that heavily coates the strands. I use low poos/co-washes/sulfate frees when I’ve only used products that are completely water soluble. And I chelate every once in a while also. If you have hard water or have been in swimming pools this summer, you may want to as well.

I agree with the above and will only add that I would still try to avoid Sodium Laurenth sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate when reaching for sulfate shampoos. In general I avoid silicones for this reason. dimethicone gets a pass when it’s in a great product but I’ve never even seen that in a truly great moisturizing product and I like my leave ins to be moisturizing. When you do apply heat to your hair, silicones should be high on the ingredients list in any heat protectant that you use. So it is especially important to cleanse well with a sulfate shampoo or highly effective clarifying non sulfate shampoo after straightening (if not the first wash, then the second if you wash once a week or more).

eastafricangal

I haven't been DCing regularly at all for the past year or so, so what I do is wet my fry hair with a leave-in and twist or plait overnight. I'll use Mane n Tail conditioner for protein. I add oils and butter accordingly.

So you dry your hair and then moisturize? You don't moisturize when it's soaking wet?

frizzy

Out of neglect and lack of time and not DCing regularly, what I'll do is soak my dry hair, clean or not so clean, in leave-in as a substitute for care. :lol: It adds moisture and pliancy for styling.

When I do wash it I do the same saturation deal with a leave-in because I've been washing it on a whim while showering in the morning for work. So no time for deep conditioning. :sad:

So in other words, instead of using a regular amount of leave-in, I use a lot!

I should be washing and deep conditioning now....

So you dry your hair and then moisturize? You don't moisturize when it's soaking wet?

Daina

You've gotten some really good advice. I use Redken Cleansing Cream which is a chelating and clarifying shampoo, works wonders for build up and hard water. Also wanted to add that shrinkage is normal. I have W'Hip length hair and just did a WnG yesterday and my hair shrinks to shoulder length. Try using JBCO for your edges to help thicken them up. I massage it into my scalp and edge area 2-3 times per week.

sunflora

Flowah Powah
Can you guys recommend a good clarifying shampoo? Also, I've heard that protein is bad for low porosity hair. Is this true?

I use Suave Kiwi shampoo to cleanse. I also use Malibu chelating treatment (you can get it on amazon, comes in little packets) to chelate. The Suave shampoo I mentioned is not too harsh, but you will not have ANY build up after you shampoo. You will NEED to DC afterwords through with moisture. Sulfates are necessary when you have as much build up as you appear to, as they are scientifically the only chemical able to quickly remove cones, mineral oil or petrolatum (other detergents can remove them slowly over time).

Heavy protein is bad for lo po. I'm lo po myself and don't use much protein. Something like Mane and Tale is a good protein treatment for me, or anything with coconut oil in it. I'm very careful with it. I wouldn't advise anything too strong for you.

VictoriousBrownFlower

I use Suave Kiwi shampoo to cleanse. I also use Malibu chelating treatment (you can get it on amazon, comes in little packets) to chelate. The Suave shampoo I mentioned is not too harsh, but you will not have ANY build up after you shampoo. You will NEED to DC afterwords through with moisture. Sulfates are necessary when you have as much build up as you appear to, as they are scientifically the only chemical able to quickly remove cones, mineral oil or petrolatum (other detergents can remove them slowly over time).

Heavy protein is bad for lo po. I'm lo po myself and don't use much protein. Something like Mane and Tale is a good protein treatment for me, or anything with coconut oil in it. I'm very careful with it. I wouldn't advise anything too strong for you.
I agree with this. You could also just use colorful neutral protein filler from sallys to add to a reg moisturizing dc and have as much or as little protein as you want.

eastafricangal

Which Mane N Tale product do you recommend?