Shea Growth and Retention Regimen 2015

Babygrowth

I got it in the scent cake bake which smells exactly like its name. Yummy! Its thick but creamy and smooth. Will last me a long time because a little is all you need. It reminds me of HH Sprout if you ever heard of that. I don't use many butters so I don't have anything to compare it to.

IMO its not light and fluffy like you would expect a whipped butter to be. But its soft and creamy like you'd think there's water in it but there isn't.

Pennefeather

I love it! Lol.

PlainJane

PlainJane The Tropic Isle Living JBCO Hair Food has a faint smoky scent due to the JBCO. The products I use easily mask the scent (SM/NH, Darbur Vatika Naturals, OH Hair Dew, DB Pumpkin Seed & TN conditioners) Get Sunny Isle Lavender JBCO pomade if you're worried about the scent but still want a JBCO pomade. It's not heavy or greasy & smells good. CurlMart & Hattache sell it. Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.
Thanks I ordered the hair food yesterday because jbco was the first ingredient unlike the other pomade. Hopefully it works for me because raw shea butter is starting to get a little sticky and it's hard to braid my hair after I apply it.

LunaGorgeous

I'm definitely in!

I currently use a shea butter mix for my skin, and it didn't occur to me to create one for my hair and scalp! The shea butter mix I make works beautifully on the skin and I use it daily:

-Pure unrefined shea butter
-Raw honey (unrefined, tan, solid at room temperature)
-Coconut oil
-Olive oil
-A few drops lavender essential oil
-A few drops clary sage essential oil
-A few drops rosemary essential oil

I melt the shea butter and coconut oil, combine the two and add a hefty spoonful or two of the raw honey. Then I add in the olive oil and put the mixture in the freezer for about an hour. I noticed the raw honey never fully melts, so when you're cooling the mixture you will notice the honey sets in separate layer from the rest of the mix. This is normal, just whip it into the rest of the mixture when it's done and it will be fine from then on. I keep my mix in its container at room temperature and it re-solidifies after awhile but stays very soft and workable.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that my local Wal-Mart carries pure, unrefined shea butter in the facial treatment/body spray aisle, so that is my regular source for shea butter now. The quality is wonderful, and they offer a variety of scented butters too. I recently picked up a container to make another mix for my skin, and will get another to make a mix for my hair and scalp.

I plan to replace my current leave-in with the shea butter mixture once I figure out what ingredients I will use in addition to the shea butter since I will be applying this to my scalp as well.

Looking forward to incorporating this and seeing the results!

Last edited:

Leo24Rule

@imaginary
The scents are the same as the body & hair care lines. The Coconut-Hibiscus & Black Seed + Honey have the strong, lingering scents. African Black Soap is the weakest & dissipates quickly.

The consistency varies due to the added ingredients.
Coconut-Hibiscus is harder than shea butter. It emulsifies into a light oil.

Frankincense & Myrrh, African Black Soap and Indian Hemp + Tamanu are like pure shea in consistency.

Chai+ Rose is creamy.
Black Seed & Honey is like a pomade. Both melt instantly.

Using LHCF via smartphone. Can't see mentions.

Where are you buying these types of products?

Leo24Rule

Repost (my question went unanswered as of 11-02-14):

I love and see a difference the Shea Butter has on my hair with daily use since September 2014. How do you ladies combat with the oiliness on the back of your neck, shoulders, clothes, and pillowcases? Goodness sake, it even has a heavy greasy residue on thee satin hair bonnets....

ThatJerseyGirl

I love and see a difference the Shea Butter has on my hair with daily use since September 2014. How do you ladies combat with the oiliness on the back of your neck, shoulders, clothes, and pillowcases? Goodness sake, it even has a heavy greasy residue on thee satin hair bonnets....

I know for me, a little goes a long way. But did I do that last night? No lololol

So i tied my hair down with my bandana (my hair is two strand twisted and in a bun) and then another scarf. When I joined my twists together to make a bun, some of the sheamix was seeping through which means I used too much. It'll go away probably by the end of the week.

Hope that helped!

imaginary

Oh I don't really have that problem. I only use a touch per section since my mix can get pretty greasy quick (Shea butter+ castor oil). Maybe you're just using too much?

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Where are you buying these types of products?

Leo24Rule
I get them on the ground & online:

CVS,Target & Walgreens body care section for the SM infused butters. They sell out quickly.

Earth Fare, Honeyfig, Whole Foods, the Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, Publix supermarket (organic section) & any natural/health food store or co-op. They're more expensive (10-15USD) from these shops.

Online I buy from vitacost.com, iherb.com & drugstore.com. The butters are cheaper (<10USD) online.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado

Leo24Rule
I have several questions:
Do you have low-porosity, low density or fine strands? Are you using plain shea butter or a mix? Do you live in a hot climate? How often do you cleanse/clarify?

I have dense, coarse, low-porosity strands. I also live in a mild climate,have hard H2O & wash weekly/chelate monthly. My density & strand thickness allows me to use a lot of shea. I can't apply a lot at once or my hair will get greasy. Also the excess shea will melt with body heat.

This is my regimen.The frequency & amount of application depends on my mix:

Pure shea: On wash day divide hair into 6 sections & apply (only enough to coat my palms) from ends up. Reapply ( 2 pea-size amounts) to last 4" every other day.

Humectant-rich shea mix (e.g. hemp, castor & honey): Use “pure shea" method. Reapply every 3rd day.

Heavy shea mix (e.g. olive, tamanu, cocoa butter): Use “pure shea" method. Do not reapply until until next wash.

Light shea mix (e.g. coconut, grapeseed, mango): Use “pure shea" method and reapply daily.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Leo24Rule

@Leo24Rule
I have several questions:
Do you have low-porosity, low density or fine strands? Are you using plain shea butter or a mix? Do you live in a hot climate? How often do you cleanse/clarify?

I have dense, coarse, low-porosity strands. I also live in a mild climate,have hard H2O & wash weekly/chelate monthly. My density & strand thickness allows me to use a lot of shea. I can't apply a lot at once or my hair will get greasy. Also the excess shea will melt with body heat.

This is my regimen.The frequency & amount of application depends on my mix:

Pure shea: On wash day divide hair into 6 sections & apply (only enough to coat my palms) from ends up. Reapply ( 2 pea-size amounts) to last 4" every other day.

Humectant-rich shea mix (e.g. hemp, castor & honey): Use “pure shea" method. Reapply every 3rd day.

Heavy shea mix (e.g. olive, tamanu, cocoa butter): Use “pure shea" method. Do not reapply until until next wash.

Light shea mix (e.g. coconut, grapeseed, mango): Use “pure shea" method and reapply daily.

Hope this helps.

Bibliophile, to answer your questions:

I never really looked/followed much beyond hair type 3C. So, I had to look it up and it appears I'm low-density. I live in Southern California where it is both dry and hot. Cleanse and clarify you ask? That's something I don't do. I shampoo my hair weekly with Shea Moisture line.
I use according to you a light Shea Butter mix with grapeseed oil and apriocot oil which I apply daily to my several braids.

Babygrowth

Used my SM JBCO leave in, Jakeala nappy butter and parfait yesterday. I feel a difference in my hair already. :yep:

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Ugh...Double post due to LHCF App malfunction :-\

Last edited:

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Bibliophile, to answer your questions:

I never really looked/followed much beyond hair type 3C. So, I had to look it up and it appears I'm low-density. I live in Southern California where it is both dry and hot. Cleanse and clarify you ask? That's something I don't do. I shampoo my hair weekly with Shea Moisture line.
I use according to you a light Shea Butter mix with grapeseed oil and apriocot oil which I apply daily to my several braids.

I apologize for the delay Leo24Rule. You may need to clarify your hair or apply your shea mix less frequently.

Side note: The SM shampoos except for African Black Soap version has shea butter high in the ingredients list. Like you I used the SM shampoos exclusively. Over time the shampoos wouldn't rinse clean & I'd get build-up.

Now I rotate my cleansers (bars, Ayurvedic mudwash, SM/NH) with a very gentle clarifying/chelating shampoo (Redken Cleansing Cream).

Leo24Rule

I apologize for the delay @Leo24Rule. You may need to clarify your hair or apply your shea mix less frequently.

Side note: The SM shampoos except for African Black Soap version has shea butter high in the ingredients list. Like you I used the SM shampoos exclusively. Over time the shampoos wouldn't rinse clean & I'd get build-up.

Now I rotate my cleansers (bars, Ayurvedic mudwash, SM/NH) with a very gentle clarifying/chelating shampoo (Redken Cleansing Cream).

Right now sitting with coconut oil and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa on my head from overnight for my hair was extremely dry and tangled. I'm going to rinse it out followed by a green tea and coffee rinse.

Bibliophile: I think you're right about needing to clarify my hair. I'm looking into changing my hair regime to pre-poo with what's on my hair right now/mustard oil. No longer buying traditional hair Western hair products even though I want to try the Shea Moisture Jamaican Castor Oil Shampoo, but instead all Ayurvedic products. I've experimented with my local Indian store, but nothing like Henna Sooq (www.hennasooq.com). There I will buy Ayurvedic products: Organic Amla Oil for daily scalp massages and Sukesh Ayurveda (which I love). I have yet to push the submit button, but I have 8 items in my cart lol :lachen:. I wanna try the mudwash (Organic Rhassoul Clay/Powder/ Warm Flowers Argan Oil Rhassoul Mud), Organic Zizyphus Spina Christi (Sedr), Moroccan Clay Shampoo Bar, and Mad Moisture Shampoo and Body Bar. Have you used any of those products or something similar? And that goes for everyone :)

Going to baggie, incorporate the inversion method, do tea rinses, and tweak my Shea Butter mix. Will use an electric mixer to thoroughly blend apricot oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, and thinking of bone marrow to my mix.

Leo24Rule

Just bought some Nettle tea from Sprouts. And now I'm off to my local Indian store for some Fenugreek (Methi), Mustard Oil, and other teas. I'm serious about taking charge of my hair regime and nailing it! Ya herd!

imaginary

^^ I second clarifying. I have hard water where I live and it took me a while to figure out that my shampoo was way too gentle to manage it. I did use clays for a little while (Bentonite and Rhassoul) and I loved them, but they still left some build up. I think it may be because I don't have a water filter? Idk :confused:

Most of my issues got turned around once I started using a chelating shampoo to clarify. Good luck!

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Oh, ok. Thank you for that. Which is your favorite: Rhassoul Clay or Bentonite Clay?

I mix them together - 2 parts Bentonite 1 part Rhassoul clay. Bentonite is great on my scalp & rinses clean but is a strong chelator on my hair. Rhassoul alone doesn't remove the butters & oils on my hair. It's like a cowash. Mixing both clays I get an all natural conditioning cleanser.

Sorry everyone for derailing the thread. Leo24Rule Please send me a pm if you have more questions.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Right now sitting with coconut oil and Trader Joe's Nourish Spa on my head from overnight for my hair was extremely dry and tangled. I'm going to rinse it out followed by a green tea and coffee rinse.

Bibliophile: I think you're right about needing to clarify my hair. I'm looking into changing my hair regime to pre-poo with what's on my hair right now/mustard oil. No longer buying traditional hair Western hair products even though I want to try the Shea Moisture Jamaican Castor Oil Shampoo, but instead all Ayurvedic products. I've experimented with my local Indian store, but nothing like Henna Sooq (www.hennasooq.com). There I will buy Ayurvedic products: Organic Amla Oil for daily scalp massages and Sukesh Ayurveda (which I love). I have yet to push the submit button, but I have 8 items in my cart lol :lachen:. I wanna try the mudwash (Organic Rhassoul Clay/Powder/ Warm Flowers Argan Oil Rhassoul Mud), Organic Zizyphus Spina Christi (Sedr), Moroccan Clay Shampoo Bar, and Mad Moisture Shampoo and Body Bar. Have you used any of those products or something similar? And that goes for everyone :)

Going to baggie, incorporate the inversion method, do tea rinses, and tweak my Shea Butter mix. Will use an electric mixer to thoroughly blend apricot oil, almond oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil, and thinking of bone marrow to my mix.

Leo24Rule
Yes, my regimen is Ayurvedic-based using similar products. I'll send you a PM soon.

Leo24Rule

Where is everyone? Out shopping and enjoying family I suppose.

Yesterday I boiled my tea concoction of green, black, coffee, and nettle. My first time making a spritz. I just hope my experiment works and doesn't make my hair break off. My ends are soft and supple. I braided my hair up in 10 braids and wigged it yesterday. It was a long straight wig. My boyfriend kept complimenting me saying I should wear my hair like that more often...

Bunnyhaslonghair

Ebonics Queen
I'm still here and going strong! I need to get some more butter though because my Shea moisture is out. Money is tight right now though so I'm just using what I have. I deep conditioned last night and that optimum had Shea towards the bottom of the list. But better than nothing. I will seal with some Shea and jbco pomade today.

SweetlyCurly

For Black Friday I ordered two kinky kashmere all in one conditioners. They are shea butter based. Can't wait to try them.

PlainJane

I'm still here. Mostly using shea butter for stretching and bunning. I'm using jbco hair food as a styler because it's not as sticky. I also like shea butter because it's cheap.

Bibliophile

Hair toy Aficionado
Still here. I post in the Oils, Pomade, Butters etc. Challenge thread. I'll will post here in January.