Shea aloe butter (or shealoe)?

greenandchic

I recently mixed raw shea butter with aloe vera gel about 50/50 and I really like the results so far. I keep the mixture in the fridge because I know it will eventually separate and/or start to mold.

Does anyone have a recipe for shea/aloe butter that doesn't separate and will have a safe shelf life? I wouldn't mind purchasing emulsifiers and preservatives separately.

Or

I am also willing to purchase ready made shea aloe butter as well, but not sure where the best place to purchase it.

winona

I recently mixed raw shea butter with aloe vera gel about 50/50 and I really like the results so far. I keep the mixture in the fridge because I know it will eventually separate and/or start to mold.

Does anyone have a recipe for shea/aloe butter that doesn't separate and will have a safe shelf life? I wouldn't mind purchasing emulsifiers and preservatives separately.

Or

I am also willing to purchase ready made shea aloe butter as well, but not sure where the best place to purchase it.

How do u mix it? What type of blender? I notice my immersion blender works better for these type of emulsifications than my reg blender(kind u use to make cake). When my mixtures contain more water/avj it doesn't really matter

I use an immersion blender and I don't have much problems with separation (I only make about 4oz at a time ). 45%shea 45%avg and 10% avj or distilled water. This formula comes out very creamy. My favorite preservative is germall plus but FNWL has something on their website that gives details on all the preservatives on one page (i will give the link when I get home)

greenandchic

How do u mix it? What type of blender? I notice my immersion blender works better for these type of emulsifications than my reg blender(kind u use to make cake). When my mixtures contain more water/avj it doesn't really matter

I use an immersion blender and I don't have much problems with separation (I only make about 4oz at a time ). 45%shea 45%avg and 10% avj or distilled water. This formula comes out very creamy. My favorite preservative is germall plus but FNWL has something on their website that gives details on all the preservatives on one page (i will give the link when I get home)

I use a hand mixer. I don't want to use my blenders because I know it will be difficult to clean all that butter out...

I didn't use any aloe vera juice or water in my mix. I can see just a little separation in the container I have so far.

winona

I use a hand mixer. I don't want to use my blenders because I know it will be difficult to clean all that butter out...

I didn't use any aloe vera juice or water in my mix. I can see just a little separation in the container I have so far.

I notice I get separation with emulsifiers if there is not enough water or too much emulsifier. I tend to use 8-10% emulsifier but u really can't tell with avg bc it is premix. I hear u about the cleanup. I use a sterilized plastic spreader thingy to get most of it off my blender then run the blender under hot water to get most of the rest off. Dishsoap does the rest without much effort. I always sterilize my blender in boiling water before starting any project( I'm a germaphob lmbo) but like the other poster said I'm sure it is much easier just to buy it already made. The whole process is just calming to me;)

winona

this mix is shea,avg,avj and African musk fragrance

greenandchic

I notice I get separation with emulsifiers if there is not enough water or too much emulsifier. I tend to use 8-10% emulsifier but u really can't tell with avg bc it is premix. I hear u about the cleanup. I use a sterilized plastic spreader thingy to get most of it off my blender then run the blender under hot water to get most of the rest off. Dishsoap does the rest without much effort. I always sterilize my blender in boiling water before starting any project( I'm a germaphob lmbo) but like the other poster said I'm sure it is much easier just to buy it already made. The whole process is just calming to me;)

I have a really old Vitamix (2200) and afraid of putting the whole bowl in boiling water (probably not a rational fear), but I'm able to do that with my mixer attachments and Pyrex glass bowls before and after.

winona

:lick::lick:

I love how creamy it is! Where did you get the shea butter to mix this with?

I got it awhile back from lotioncrafters but I am not doing business with them any longer. It was shea nilotica . Sometimes I do the same mix with raw shea but the formula is always the same. Btw I use 1 tsp or 0.2oz fragrance oil to 4oz of product so it isn't too overwhelming.

greenandchic

I got it awhile back from lotioncrafters but I am not doing business with them any longer. It was shea nilotica . Sometimes I do the same mix with raw shea but the formula is always the same. Btw I use 1 tsp or 0.2oz fragrance oil to 4oz of product so it isn't too overwhelming.

Heck, I might just buy it from you. You sellin'? :grin:

winona

Heck, I might just buy it from you. You sellin'? :grin:

You are silly. No ma'am but I will help anyone who wants to make it;). I am starting nursing school at the end of the month and I doubt I would have time to run a business. These lhcf ladies go hard if they don't get their ish and it would be unfair to my customers.

greenandchic

You are silly. No ma'am but I will help anyone who wants to make it;). I am starting nursing school at the end of the month and I doubt I would have time to run a business. These lhcf ladies go hard if they don't get their ish and it would be unfair to my customers.

Cant blame me for trying. :spinning: I will try it with AVJ and emulsifier next time to see how it goes.

Good luck in nursing school!

BraunSugar

Or

Hey, are you using the food grade AVG?

nzeee

@winona:
:lick: super lush! makes sense that it's shea nilotica you used to give you that creaminess. that stuff has changed my life (used to hate shea).

question: why no more lotioncrafters? i love them after just one order so far. is there a general (non personal) reason to be overly cautious w/ them?

Last edited:

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
@winona:
:lick: super lush! makes sense that it's shea nilotica you used to give you that creaminess. that stuff has changed my life (used to hate shea).

question: why no more lotioncrafters? i love them after just one order so far. is there a general (non personal) reason to be overly cautious w/ them?

+1
I want to know too, I've been looking at them and a few other companies to mix my own stuff.