Share Your Pre-Poo

Starburst954

Im new and i need a pre poo so can anyone help me and tell me your pre poo and how it works for you oppose to when you didnt use one

vevster

I use so many different conditioners as a pre poo. Sometimes I put castor oil on my ends etc. I would start with conditioners you want to use up and get rid off....

I switch it up often. Sometimes I'll use Keraphix as my pre-poo with an oil. Or I would use a conditioner that I want to get rid of mixed with an oil.

Leslie_C

I usually pre poo with alma oil. Sometimes I use any old conditioner laying around for a while.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I prepoo with olive oil or coconut oil. Just started doing that about three months ago. I put on a generous amount of either oil the night before I wash. It really helps with the detangling process the next day.

ravenmerlita

I use mostly Ojon Restorative Treatment or coconut oil or olive oil. Sometimes castor oil. I usually slather the oil on in the evening and wash out the night before. I have used conditioners I wanted to get rid of. I don't like sleeping with the conditioner in overnight, so those I'll usually put on dry hair under a plastic cap 30-60 minutes before washing.

aloof one

Typically coconut oil.

But I also try to use up my old crap sometimes whether it is conditioner, leave ins or daily moisturizers (anything is fair game... I am just not one to give stuff away:look:)

zora

Pre poo with heated ORS protein plus coconut oil. The oil offsets the protein's drying effects. Works like a charm.

Proudpiscean

I use any random conditioner that I want to get rid of and add oil to it. Apply it to dry hair and use heat for 30 min-1 hour.

2bmrspotts

Would someone please explain to me what "pre poo" is? (as you can see im a newbie)
Ive been reading through this board trying to find out what it is and its benefits but cant seem to find anything.

kellie7777

Would someone please explain to me what "pre poo" is? (as you can see im a newbie)
Ive been reading through this board trying to find out what it is and its benefits but cant seem to find anything.

pre = before
poo= shampoo(ing)

so prepooing is using some type of treatment on your hair before shampooing.
like oil rinsing

Last edited:

caramelcutieinva

Suave Humectant conditioner, honey, and soy oil

Suave Tropical coconut conditioner, coconut oil, honey

Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Creme, Olive Oil, Honey, Suave Coconut Conditioner

Avocado, Honey, Olive Oil, Cinnamon

kiesha8185

I prepoo with olive oil or coconut oil. Just started doing that about three months ago. I put on a generous amount of either oil the night before I wash. It really helps with the detangling process the next day.

Like Healthytresses says (hey girl!) sometimes I put any ole conditioner to my hair first if I'm trying to get rid of it, then take a shower and rinse out the conditioner. Then I put the oil in my hair and leave the oil in overnight. Putting the oil in my hair in the warm shower helps with it penetrating my strands, and also helps with messy application (don't have to worry about oil getting everywhere).

I use a whole bunch of oils though...I can never decide on which one I wanna use, so I just mix them all together :grin:

coconut oil-softeness/shine
amla oil-maintains my dark hair
olive oil-conditioning
shikakai oil-strengthening
castor oil-strengthening and thickening the hair
wild growth hair oil-stinks, but makes my hair very very soft and shiny

I always wet my hair before adding the oil. Not only does it allow you to use less oil, but my hair seems to absorb it better this way. I saturate my hair and scalp with it and leave it in overnight.

MissMusic

I use Aubrey Organic's Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner or Burt's Bee's Avocado Pree-Shampoo Treatment as conditioning (for moisture, not protein) before shampooing and deep conditioning.

nappity

I use Aubrey Organic's Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner or Burt's Bee's Avocado Pree-Shampoo Treatment as conditioning (for moisture, not protein) before shampooing and deep conditioning.

me too- this conditioner moisturizes! On the rare occasion that I must use shampoo- like tomorrow cause I have to do the smelly aphogee- My hair wont freak out!!! But since Im doin AAA Ill have to prepoo with coconut and Vatika oils to stay within the ayurvedic realm . I hope it goes well! If not back to Aubrey's before Aphogee treatment!

growth2come

I pre poo with coconut milk mixed with honey and a bit of coconut oil....the shine and softness unbelieveable!

Lady Esquire

EVOO, coconut oil, coconut milk, honey, and a cheapie condish on dry hair. This is my favorite concoction. I sit under the dryer sometimes.

Sometimes EVOO alone overnight.

Other faves:

avocado oil,
jojoba oil,
castor oil,
cholesterol,
hair mayo (if I need a protein treatment, and sometimes i'll add an egg if i need intensive treatment).

Just experiment. You can leave it on anywhere from 10 minutes to overnight (depending on what it is). Remember, if its overnight to lightly coat the hair, as to prevent over-conditioning.

Last edited:

n_vizion

I like to use both oil and a conditioner and a method to warm the oils. Alma works well on my hair even though the smell is atrocious. Adding this step to my routine has done wonders for the moisture levels of my hair.

RubyWoo

When I prepoo, I prefer to use olive oil. I've used conditioner as a prepoo once and my hair became over moisturized. After that incident, I stick to using only oil. It's hard to say if I notice a big difference. I mainly prepoo to get the conditioning benefits of olive oil.