Sew-ins and Working Out/Swimming

Katt73

Hey, Ladies...I need some advice. I am beginning to train for a triathlon which means lots of sweating and lots of swimming. I will wear a swim cap, of course, but I know my hair will look a hot buttery mess. I am thinking of getting a sew-in to protect my hair and to ensure that I can still be cute (i.e., flat iron as often as necessary). So, I need to know from you swimmers and gymrats who wear weaves...what has been your experience? This will be my first sew-in.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
if you get a curly/wavy sew-in that's closed, as in requiring no blending, you'll have no problems. :yep:

cocoagirl

How often will you be swimming? Because I'm thinking that even if you are wearing a full weave, your hair under the weave will still be in contact with the chlorine when it gets wet, which will damage your hair if not properly washed out. Do you feel comfortable wearing a half wig, with cornrows underneath? This way you can still wash your cornrows on the days you swim, hood dry and slap the wig back on.

RubyWoo

How often will you be swimming? Because I'm thinking that even if you are wearing a full weave, your hair under the weave will still be in contact with the chlorine when it gets wet, which will damI age your hair if not properly washed out. Do you feel comfortable wearing a half wig, with cornrows underneath? This way you can still wash your cornrows on the days you swim, hood dry and slap the wig back on.

ITA! I swim 2x a week and considered getting a full weave but decided against it since I wouldn't have full access to my hair to wash out all the cholorine. I wear half wigs and keep my hair in plaits/braids underneath. I'm able to shampoo and deep condition after I swim without any problems.

Also, the swim cap will not keep your hair dry. The purpose of a swim cap is to keep your secured and out of your way. Your hair will still get wet with a swim cap. I usually wet my hair first, put conditioner in my hair and then put my swim cap on.