Sew-In Weave/Wig Installation Tips

Laeri9

HELP!!!!! Sew-In Weave/Wig Disaster Tips

Hi Ladies,

This is my first post but I've been a lurker for a VERY long time. I'm having a bit of trouble and decided to post since my searching hasn't given me a straight answer.

I'm trying to make a sew-in weave/wig on a weave cap. I've literally started over twice. The first time my styrofoam mannequin's head was too small and so I couldn't actually put it on. I spend all morning trying again (after making a cast of my head to put over the mannequin) but I used too much hair... it doesn't look very good.

I've done a sew in once before, but it was on my head. I'm just looking for tips. For instance: I saw somewhere to place the tracks about 1/2 inch apart, but when I do that I need more than 2 packs of hair to finish (which is a lot since I'm using the Vibe Bohemian). Yet, I'm afraid of them being too far apart and then the tracks start to show.

Any tips/suggestion? Should they be space further apart in the back? I'm tempted to use glue on the mannequin to make it quicker, but I'm afraid of another mess up and then I won't be able to reapply the hair...

I only have TODAY to redo this... :(

TLDR: How far should I place the tracks so that I cover the head without using too much hair, but I also cover the tracks so they won't show?

Last edited:

Neala21

My sister has a YouTube of the wig she made I can ask her to reply to this thread to answer ur questions

Dommo

I use a stretch wig net when i make my u-part wig. I never measure it. It always fits because it stretches.

Tiye

I use a stretch wig net when i make my u-part wig. I never measure it. It always fits because it stretches.

Ditto. I always use stretchy net or mesh caps. Re: track placement it just depends on the hair. For curly hair you can get away with doing them pretty far apart in the back - i.e. even as much as 1+ inch. In the top you place them close together. I have two wigs made with Bohemian curl protein hair and that's how I made them. I don't have any tracks showing and if I'd placed the tracks any closer the wigs would be ridiculously big. I used most of two packs for one wig and maybe a little over one and a half packs for the second one.

The right track placement takes a little practice. You might want to get the cheapest synthetic hair you can find on sale and make a test wig using glue to get the hang of it.

Laeri9

Thanks ladies! I was using a stretch cap, but my problem was probably that I started sewing the track full circle too early and so the track itself didn't allow for much more stretch.