Setting to Success 2015

niknakmac

I buying some perm rods this week to give my hair some stretch and curls. I need a change from the twist out. I will be back to let you ladies know how it goes after I watch 50-11 youtube videos.

faithVA

I found a happy median between twists and roller sets. I am flat twisting the back and sides and doing a perm rod set of the front for a nice bang type effect. So I get the best of both worlds. The twist last longer for me and are easy and convenient to maintain. The curls at the front make the flat twist look more like a style.

So the combination of flat twists and perm rods sets will be my go to for a while. I will throw in the occasional roller set for special occasions.

FlatTwistPermRodGoTo.jpg

Last edited:

winona

Sitting prepooing for another set:) I'm doing a set with my halo rollers. I plan to flat iron my hair for a trim in April and I'm trying to figure out what will give the best non stretched set

girlonfire

I attempted to set with the Strawllers I bought .... but that was a fail because I couldn't even get them to stay on smh. I ended up blow drying my hair after that. I will try again with hair pins maybe to see if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

...what did you use if not pins or roller covers?

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
What size did you get, the strawllers in? I think you said green right? I used magnetic roller covers that were covers for rollers the same diameter of the strallers and smaller.

girlonfire yes I got the green ones, the 8" size. The magnetic covers I used were too big. I might be better off using pins but idk. I'm not going to give up yet, I need to find a way lol.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF please excuse typos

Blairx0

I couldn't sleep last night at 4am I had flexi rods on the brain. I didn't feel like doing an entire dc regimen, so instead I hopped in the shower and lightly cowashed. I oiled my scalp and I now o have a head full of flexi rods.

These things will not dry! I sat under the dryer for an hour, threw a scarf on and slept for 3 hours and they are still damp! I am back under the dryer now and plan to to give it 30 more mins of heat.

Do you ladies find flexi rods dry slower than rollers or is it more likely the way I rolled

davisbr88

Hi! I want to join in. I finally got a successful Caruso set, and I want to do it more often!
I think I will just keep my hair in Carusos until the end of the year.

ETA:
Current hair length: MBL
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: Caruso sets on stretched, airdried hair.
Current Setting products: Water (I follow the water only hair regimen).
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Consistency with setting/protection from humidity.
How long do you plan to set?: Until the end of the year (possibly)
Post a beginning picture: See above! My length is in my avi.

Last edited:

davisbr88

How often is everyone setting? I am used to rinsing my hair near-daily so I am wondering if I should try to stretch that a little bit or if anyone else sets daily. My Caruso set only took about 20 minutes to do.

winona

How often is everyone setting? I am used to rinsing my hair near-daily so I am wondering if I should try to stretch that a little bit or if anyone else sets daily. My Caruso set only took about 20 minutes to do.

I set weekly. If after 4-5 days my hair feels dry I Cowash and wet bun(once) which normally holds me until it is tjme to set again. Using combs more than once a week on my ends make them very unhappy

divinerae

I currently set once a week but would like to start deep conditioning twice a week. I only get about three decent days out of my roller sets anyway.
Right now I'm sitting with DC in my hair and I think I'm chickening out on the strawllers set. I will probably just do curlformers like usual and try out the Nairobi wrap foam I got in the mail yesterday.

divinerae

Done with todays set! I know I have to use at least 45 rollers to get the barrel curlformers as texture free as possible, but of course laziness got the best of me this was probably done with about 36 rollers, so there is some texture like you can see in the middle picture. I LOVE the Nairobi wrap foam and my hair feels great after shampoo, conditioning, and DCing with the L'Oreal Repair 5 line. I also sprayed It's a 10 for my leave in.

Last edited:

faithVA

Okay everyone, I just want to let it be known that I am no longer past wl. I got a deva cut yesterday and I am now bsl.

I expect that my sets won't take so long now and I'm actually looking forward to that :).

We need some pictures fast. We need to see. I know it looks good.

girlonfire

Oh btw yall. During my appointment guess what my stylist told me. She said I had FINE hair. I was like wut? All this time I thought my hair was coarse like down there hair. What a shock.

girlonfire

We need some pictures fast. We need to see. I know it looks good.

:grin: yaass I love it. I thought I would have cried because having really long hair felt like part of my identity but that's all my past. I feel good (nana nana nana nah, I knew that I would now).

I certainly will provide pics. I can't guarantee tomorrow or tonight bc I am hella tired and I work all day tomorrow but don't fret, I'll get ya'll some quality pics!

davisbr88

I did a 2-ponytail rollerset with the teal perm rods and it actually came out cute except for the left side, so I ended up putting it in a bun. This is so much easier than Carusos for me, and I don't have to wake up early to style. I think I am going to just do this once a week, and then maybe refresh with a Caruso set midweek. I think my hair can use a little break from daily rinsing.

niknakmac

I was too lazy to wash, dc and rollerset my hair this weekend so i ended up twisting it as I watched a movie. I did texlax and roller set DD hair last night though. I did it using perm rods. She wanted spirals but even though rolled them vertically she got lots of curls but not spirals. We ended up throwing it into a fauxhawk.

Are the roller too small? What went wrong? I was using the purple and cream perm rods.

divinefavor

I tried something different today...I finger coiled my hair after a wash and deep conditioning. I'm sitting under my Pibbs dryer now. I plan to do a coil out, but I might leave the coils in my head until tomorrow morning. I've never done finger coils myself. I had them done once by my stylist back in December. I hope it turns out well.

winona

Doing my weekly set:)
Used less leave in and oil so hopefully I will be done in my usual 1hr. Last week I used too much leave and oil and it took FOREVER to dry:)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-1749522066.jpg
    image-1749522066.jpg
    471.4 KB · Views: 50
  • image-251264397.jpg
    image-251264397.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 52

divinefavor

Here's my finger coil out, I didn't take pics on Monday. Today it looks a little better, not too bad for my first try. I will try this again with maybe a different combination of products.
Finger Coil Out Front 3.25.15.jpg

Finger Coil Out Left Side B 3.25.14.jpg

Finger Coil Out Right Side 3.25.15.jpg

PlainJane

So because my natural hair is getting longer I can't just put it in Bantu knots to stretch it before flat ironing so I did an impromptu ponytail rollerset. Im going to need to watch some YouTube videos on this method because it seemed harder than a regular roller set.