Setting to Success 2014 Challenge

I know you all are probably sick of my post and pictures by now, but I has to show you the final results of my first real roller set. :)

I slept with my hair in 2 ponytails and 5/8" satin covered foam rollers and I even worked out this morning. I can't believe how curly it still is. I just need to make this last until Christmas.

Attachments

• image-2838431412.jpg
    image-2838431412.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image-2221246633.jpg
    image-2221246633.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I know you all are probably sick of my post and pictures by now, but I has to show you the final results of my first real roller set. :)

I slept with my hair in 2 ponytails and 5/8" satin covered foam rollers and I even worked out this morning. I can't believe how curly it still is. I just need to make this last until Christmas.

Girl please we never get tired of gorgeous hair!

Beautiful! Girl, I'll never get tired of pictures. I'm a visual person so I prefer people to show me instead of always talking about what they do. Keep the pics coming!

Got a head full of curlformers and I'm under the dryer. I tried to make my sections smaller, so I used 31 instead of 26 like last time. I plan to flat iron after I take these out

Current hair length: Chin length but my nape is longer
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd: Natural
Current Setting method and styling choices: I have several kinds of rollers.
Current Setting products: Lottabody until I find something better
Thing(s) you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve: Be good at setting my hair with different kinds of rollers
How long do you plan to set?: Once a week for 8 months; I doubt I will roller set over the summer.
Post a beginning picture I will post picture before new year.

Those look a lot less intimidating than the ones I usually see. I don't believe I've ever seen plastic ones like that before. Thanks for sharing! Did you get those from a regular BSS or did you have to order them from online?

I got them in a well stocked beauty supply store.

Okay I know I'm in thus challenge but I couldn't help myself and did my baby's hair using the curlformers. I wanted to see how they would look and it came out beautifully. I haven't seperated them or anything. I used Soultanicals Muru and then applied BASK 7 fold butter and JR Nurish and Shine. I used 103 rollers and let her sit under the dryer on medium heat for 25 minutes and then hair dried for 2 hours after that. I left 2 rollers in bc they weren't dry yet.

ForumRunner_20131224_152002.jpg

ForumRunner_20131224_152017.jpg

ForumRunner_20131224_152040.jpg

ForumRunner_20131224_152054.jpg

Okay I know I'm in thus challenge but I couldn't help myself and did my baby's hair using the curlformers. I wanted to see how they would look and it came out beautifully. I haven't seperated them or anything. I used Soultanicals Muru and then applied BASK 7 fold butter and JR Nurish and Shine. I used 103 rollers and let her sit under the dryer on medium heat for 25 minutes and then hair dried for 2 hours after that. I left 2 rollers in bc they weren't dry yet.

Gorgeous! But how on the world could you get her to sit through 103 rollers? I am struggling with 30+

Her hair looks great! How long did it take to put in 103 curlformers?

Wore a half up half down set for Christmas. The night before I moisturized then used a finger tip of Kinky Curly Custard on each section before doing 4 bantu knots. It came out soft and bouncy with a little hold.

Last edited:
Wore a half up half down set for Christmas. The night before I moisturized then used a finger tip of Kinky Curly Custard on each section before doing 4 bantu knots. It came out soft and bouncy with a little hold.

This is lovely!!! I wish my second day hair looks this good.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Wow, looks soo pretty! Curlformers are a God send for natural hair and especially for the little ladies!

This is lovely!!! I wish my second day hair looks this good.

Thanks but girl those bantu knots were 3rd day. My 2nd day hair was a hot fluffy mess. I went to sleep in a high bun without doing anything to it...but at least now I know that I must set it some kind of way if I plan on wearing it down. Don't laugh at what you are about to see.:nono: I know it may not seem that bad but I like a more tame sleek look so this was a no go for me.

Last edited:
Now that I have a new dryer i was finally able to set my hair. I used my largest mesh roller and the snap on caps. the caps really make a difference on my hair and getting the roots smooth. Now that i am fully natural I will never set without them.

It took me less than 30 minutes to set my whole head! I thought i was a bit rusty but setting hair like riding a bicycle. Once you learn you never forget!

Attachments

• dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520010.jpg
    dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520010.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 78
  • dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520012.jpg
    dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520012.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 93
  • dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520013.jpg
    dec%252013%2520length%2520check%2520013.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 85
Now that I have a new dryer i was finally able to set my hair. I used my largest mesh roller and the snap on caps. the caps really make a difference on my hair and getting the roots smooth. Now that i am fully natural I will never set without them. It took me less than 30 minutes to set my whole head! I thought i was a bit rusty but setting hair like riding a bicycle. Once you learn you never forget!

Looks really nice...wow under 30 minutes!?! I wish I could do that but I'm just sticking to my curlformers.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I want to try mesh rollers to get my roots straighter but I'm worried because they are mesh. I know I need to get over myself, but I'm still scared.

Napp

Are you still doing bkt? I feel behind on your blog, but your wets as always look great!

thanks! i havent done a bkt for a while. i just straighten my hair once a month, i plan on going back to them in 2014 though. my blog need to be updated. i have been so busy with school I havent been able to attend to it.

The Mohawk method of roller setting just doesn't seem to work for me. I always end up with tight curls in the middle and loose curls on both sides in the back. For some reason I can never get enough tension on the sides with the middle row of rollers is done first. Not sure why......:ohwell:

So I've been craving straight hair since I took my senegalese twists out however my regular stylist is STILL on freaking maternity leave and will be until late February. So I took the plunge, borrowed my step daughter's flat iron and did it myself. Surprisingly it went really well being that I haven't straightened my own hair in years! The results were ok..I sho nuff prefer my salon results to this and above else my roller sets to pressed/straight hair anyway. So nope, I'll continue to leave the heat up to my stylist.

I was pincurling as I went so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow. I did a total of 5 pincurls.

Oh I rollerset first then flat ironed letting the pre-sectioned hair from the rollers be my guide. I did 2-3 passes on the roots and 1 on the length.

Last edited:
So I've been craving straight hair since I took my senegalese twists out however my regular stylist is STILL on freaking maternity leave and will be until late February. So I took the plunge, borrowed my step daughter's flat iron and did it myself. Surprisingly it went really well being that I haven't straightened my own hair in years! The results were ok..I sho nuff prefer my salon results to this and above else my roller sets to pressed/straight hair anyway. So nope, I'll continue to leave the heat up to my stylist.

I was pincurling as I went so I'll see what it looks like tomorrow. I did a total of 5 pincurls.

Oh I rollerset first then flat ironed letting the pre-sectioned hair from the rollers be my guide. I did 2-3 passes on the roots and 1 on the length.

So thick and pretty!!

I'm going to join this challenge for dd and myself. We always set and when that wears out, we bun. We had a hard time last year and lost a lot of length when we moved to TX, so we're still trying to get that back. We hardly ever straighten, so I'll post a starting pic once the set falls nearly straight.

Back