Setting to Success 2013

Blairx0

Deep conditioning now. Going to install some curlformers afterward. I want to get back to regular rollers, but I need something I can sleep in tonight

Blairx0

I swear you can never have enough curlformers. I ended up with flexi rods in the front. Sigh. I have some more on the way, but I want to get back to regular rollers ( when I have the dry time) as they have more styling options

GrowAHead

Sooo....I'm officially a PJ/Hair Stuff Junky -- After ONE use of the mesh rollers I went online an purchased a larger size mesh roller as well.. can we say JUNKIE??!!

Observation: I may be wrong but I don't feel the length of my hair is as "smooth" as it is after a magnetic roller set ... I normally don't get shedding when I comb out my curls and there were some hairs in tha comb.. :perplexed not cool.

Blairx0

Leave ins: Mizani conditioner leave in D'Tangle and Chi Keratin mist
setting lotion: Nairobi foam

That's all I put in... I find that when I load too many products my curls just drop

I have been wanting to try the nairobi foam wrap. I am currently using the Jane carter wrap and roll. I want to try the other as it looks good, but I am have been nervous. Do you like it

Blairx0

So for ladies that are natural or have NG that is mostly natural do you feel as though there is a big differenc ebetween magentic rollers with no snap on covers and rollers that do have snap on covers? I am looking for a way to smooth my roots, some next time I set. Any suggestions?

GrowAHead

I have been wanting to try the nairobi foam wrap. I am currently using the Jane carter wrap and roll. I want to try the other as it looks good, but I am have been nervous. Do you like it

I love it - super moisturizing with medium hold

Blairx0

I think I'm going to try Diane rollers with the snap covers today after work.

I'm hoping for a smoother set. We shall see. By the end of this challenge I'm going to have too many damned rollers

Blairx0

Under the dryer now with a head full of rollers. Will post pictures if the set comes out decent

Blairx0

So the results are in and I am here to say covers made all the difference. Using the snap covers allowed for my hair that normally come out textured like a light blow dry to be much more straight. My hair is tightly curled, so this less puffy roots is big for me. I have included some pictures so you can see what I mean.

Texture shot:

ForumRunner_20121114_215607.jpg

When I used traditional rollers my with metal clamps these are my results:

ForumRunner_20121114_215821.jpg
ForumRunner_20121114_220152.jpg

These are my results today using rollers with covers. In some areas, in addition the covers I need metal clips for extra tension. But my roots are much smoother. I also used larger rollers for a less tight curl.

ForumRunner_20121114_220532.jpg

ForumRunner_20121114_220504.jpg

Can't wait to keep experimenting with this!

Mitre

[*]Current hair length = 6 inches

[*]Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd = Natural dyed golden brown

[*]Current Setting method and styling choices= Set 2x week using Annie snap on magnetic rollers and roller setting using the mohawk method. I wear it straight using silk wrap method or curly for 2 days

[*]Current Setting products = Salerm 21, Nairobi wrapp it shine mix with aloe Vera gel and water. Would like to add hemp seed oil.

[*]One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve= Healthy hair that is style most of the time. I need to work on getting my ends and root straight.

[*]How long do you plan to set = for the length of the challenge

[*]Post a beginning picture = will do

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Rozlewis

I want to join.

Current hair length
-----> Shoulder length

Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd
-----> Relaxed

Current Setting method and styling choices
-----> I use "magnetic" rollers and my Pibbs hooded dryer

Current Setting products
-----> I use Luv Naturals leave-in and PM Super Skinny Serum

One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve
-----> Improve the health of my hair and increase retention

How long do you plan to set?
-----> From now through March I will roller set consistently at least 3 x per month. Once it gets warmer I will probably roller set 1 x per month

Post a beginning picture
-----> This is a current picture. I will post another picture later today or tomorrow after I roller set.

Wish me luck. This is only my second roller set. The first one did not turn out good. This takes some practice.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 90

GrowAHead

Rollerset results! This is my first set with the plastic mesh rollers - they are smaller than the rollers I normall use. I usually set on a combination of the magnetic purple and grey rollers but the curls are great!

Another thing to note - I'm not sure that the roots are as straight as they are with magnetic.

Biggest plus of this set - 45 min under the dryer and I was COMPLETELY dry! Amazing.

Since I set my hair on the new mesh rollers last week I decided to use magnetic rollers this week for comparison.

While I do get 20 min less time under the drier with the mesh rollers I still think I get a smoother set with magnetic. Also - a couple days after my set last week my hair seemed a little "rougher".

I will still use the mesh when I'm short on time, but for normal wash days I'll use magnetic.:yep:

Attachments

• 2012-11-17_10-19-51_403.jpg
    2012-11-17_10-19-51_403.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 2012-11-17_11-22-43_637.jpg
    2012-11-17_11-22-43_637.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 2012-11-17_11-23-09_392.jpg
    2012-11-17_11-23-09_392.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 2012-11-17_11-24-36_869.jpg
    2012-11-17_11-24-36_869.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 116

GrowAHead

Question for you ladies! I love Nairobi foam - unfortunately up here its a lot harder to locate than it is down south. So I bought 2 back up foams - I just keep punking out when it's time to use them.

I purchased ORS foam and Elasta QP foam -- Thoughts on either?

In the back of my closet (PJ closet) I have some left over Keracare foam and prob some Mizani foam, but I was hoping to give a new less expensive foam a shot

Blairx0

GrowAHead.

I agree with you ion the mesh rollers. I liekd the dry time, but b/c opf the pattern on the rollers it also left more of "pattern" on my hair if that makes sense. I basically got too much texture using mesh rollers.

In regard tot he foam I like the Jane Carter Wrap and Roll which is on sale at target and a little cheap than the Narobi foam. I have also heard great things about the Keracare. I think keracare is on my list to try next. Hopefully others can chime in!

Great results by the way

GrowAHead

GrowAHead.

I agree with you ion the mesh rollers. I liekd the dry time, but b/c opf the pattern on the rollers it also left more of "pattern" on my hair if that makes sense. I basically got too much texture using mesh rollers.

In regard tot he foam I like the Jane Carter Wrap and Roll which is on sale at target and a little cheap than the Narobi foam. I have also heard great things about the Keracare. I think keracare is on my list to try next. Hopefully others can chime in!

Great results by the way

Blairx0 From the RAVE reviews on mesh rollers I thought there were going to be the bomb.com - they are bomb... just no .com. I have to go to target today anyway so I'll check out the jane carter and maybe use it next week

DominicanBrazilian82

GrowAHead said:
Since I set my hair on the new mesh rollers last week I decided to use magnetic rollers this week for comparison.

While I do get 20 min less time under the drier with the mesh rollers I still think I get a smoother set with magnetic. Also - a couple days after my set last week my hair seemed a little "rougher".

I will still use the mesh when I'm short on time, but for normal wash days I'll use magnetic.:yep:

Absolutely lovely :)

DominicanBrazilian82

So since my DH knows how important my hair is to me, he decided to step up my appliance game for my birthday yesterday. He grabbed me the Pibbs Kwik 514 and a Heutiful Steamer. I love my LCL, but Pibbs just gives me life! I roll on the magnetic rollers. Been watching my family rollerset for years, so doing it myself is like cake. Will be back shortly (when I get to my laptop), to update you with my challenge info :)

Blairx0

I was going to set, but ran low on time. I plan to set tomorrow after a dc and cassia treatment. I will be back with pics.

Altruisticoam

Im new to setting but I need it so I would definitely like to join

Current hair length - almost shoulder length
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd - relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices - setting with magnetic rollers and flexi rods
Current Setting products - not sure yet but someone recommended lotta body and a bonnet hair dryer
One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve - hoping to retain length
How long do you plan to set? - with the except of my wedding in April 13 I want to set the entire year
Post a beginning picture - will post a pic later this week

Blairx0

Im new to setting but I need it so I would definitely like to join

Current hair length - almost shoulder length
Relaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd - relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices - setting with magnetic rollers and flexi rods
Current Setting products - not sure yet but someone recommended lotta body and a bonnet hair dryer
One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve - hoping to retain length
How long do you plan to set? - with the except of my wedding in April 13 I want to set the entire year
Post a beginning picture - will post a pic later this week

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials. Hopefully setting will get you to your wedding goal

Altruisticoam

Blairx0 said:
Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials. Hopefully setting will get you to your wedding goal

I hope so too. I have a lot to learn. Just brought a bonnet dryer. Now I have to go to the store to get the rollers and setting products.

Blkrose

Current hair length SL in some areas barely EL near the middleRelaxed/Natural/Texlaxed/Loc'd Relaxed
Current Setting method and styling choices Just brush back into a ponytail
Current Setting products Regular mosturizing products i.e infusium
One thing you would like to work on/are hoping to achieve To retain and maintain length and healthy ends and hair overallHow long do you plan to set? 6 mths off and on
Post a beginning picture Will edit in pic lata

Blairx0

So far for magnetic rollers I've been seeing 12 for $4 at Sally's. We don't have many beauty supply stores in my area

Sallys around me has the one with snaps for 3.59 I think. I picked up some today in a different size for 1.29 so I BSS is must cheaper if you can find one. But relative to other tools they are still cheap I think. And they last! I'm excited to see your results

Altruisticoam

Blairx0 said:
Sallys around me has the one with snaps for 3.59 I think. I picked up some today in a different size for 1.29 so I BSS is must cheaper if you can find one. But relative to other tools they are still cheap I think. And they last! I'm excited to see your results

Me too. My first set will be dec 1st. Until then I'll just be lurking, looking at everyone else progress :)

Blairx0

Okay I am rollersetting tonight. I mean it. I bought some new rollers in different sizes, got my cassia obtiva powder ready and some DC on hand. It is happening!