Self-relaxers: Did some of u go to beauty school to learn how to relax your NG?

BlackHairDiva

Those of you who self relax your own hair. Did you go to a beauty school to learn how to do your own touch ups?

I'm thinking about going to a local beauty school to learn how to do my own touch up. My issue is the application technique and I want to learn and practice it somewhere else before doing it on my head. :look:

Any tips and advice? Am I the only Hair styling challenged person in this board? :sad:

cuteazz1

I am natural but when I did self-relax I would just cover the already relaxed parts of my hair with conditioner so that i would not over process.

No beauty school.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
lol just be careful not to pick up the habits that made us stop going to salons and become self relaxers in the first place.

I learned by watching my mom do mine and now I do mine and when I go home I do my mom's

Evolving78

are you just going to school to learn how to relax. it takes away before you get to that part. i went to school and it is always good to learn and try different things, but do you plan on making a career out of it? beauty schools cost a lot of money and time. there is a sticky on how to self relax here. do you part your hair in sections and work on each section at a time? do you base your scalp and hairline? do you use plastic hair clips for each section? do you use a hair timer? do you use a comb to part your section? you should use an application brush too. someone suggested applying conditioner to the previous relaxed hair to avoid over processing. there are a lot of things that school won't teach you that you can learn from here. i say do a lot of research, get some cholestoral conditioner, a manniquin, tools needed to relax and practices with the timer. this is how they are going to teach you because you can't practice (using chemicals) on a human until you reach the clinic floor or reach 200 hours.

NYAmicas

Seeker
You're not the only style-challenged person by far and going to a beauty school isn't a bad idea. The relaxing kit comes with directions for no-lye and many ladies on here have posted their techniques. The best way to learn anything is to try and try again with plenty of research.

prospurr4

I've been self-relaxing for years and have made many mistakes. The information on this forum will teach how to self-relax successfully, avoiding most of the mistakes I made. If you do a seach, I'm sure you will pull up many threads on the subject.

The best tip that I learned here is to coat the previously-relaxed ends with oil or conditioner to prevent overprocessing when the relaxer is rinsed out. I used to read the instructions that came with boxed relaxer kits and never read that. I also never saw a stylist do that.

My self-relaxing technique gets better with practice, no beauty school required.

sunnieb

Nope, I just read and re-read all of the self-relaxing threads here on LHCF for about a year and a half.

My self-relaxing results are way better than the salon!

SuchaLady

Nope I am style challenged as well. I currently have no desire to relax my own head. Its just some things I'm not trying to learn :look:

Sent from my DROID2 using DROID2