Self-Relax....I think I'm going to do it!

TrendySocialite

I used to self-relax back in the day. And now I'm trying to live within my means again and that means I'm going to have to minimize salon visits. I'm really nervous about doing this as I've been going to the hair salon weekly for about 10 years. But I'm really good about keeping and maintaining my own hair between salon visits and have relaxed friends' and my mom's hair. I've read the self-relaxing thread and printed a couple of articles. I'm still not sure which relaxer I'm going to use as I have used Design Essentials, Essations and Influance during my salon days.

Does anyone know of a relaxer that is comparable to the brands I've mentioned above? I'm thinking of ORS perhaps.

TIA!

MarieB

I self-relax, but the only high-end relaxer I've ever used was Phyto, but after the second touchup, I decided to stop using no-lye because a)it wasn't straightening as well as I wanted and b) my hair was far dryer than it should have been. I switched to Silk Elements Lye with Shea Butter, and I love it, but I really have no idea how it compares with the relaxers you mentioned. HTH.

Lava27

You can do it! I got help with my first self relax about 8 weeks ago, but it's so empowering not having to pay the stylists for it anymore!! :) (I used Phyto II btw, don't know bout the others)

TrendySocialite

If that Silk Elements is anything like the heat protectant, which I love, I may try that. The Influance that my stylist used was no-lye and my hair was bone straight (almost too straight) for the longest....it's a good one.

Shows you how long it's been since I self-relaxed, didn't even know you could get lye relaxer OTC....LOL Thanks for the help!

LushLox

I'm bumping, because I've also been thinking about this a lot lately too. I like my stylist, but no matter how many times I tell her she still over processes me by slapping a lot of relaxer on my ends which is just going to kill my hair eventually. :nono:

I'm going to make the step, and I'll think I'll try Phyto. The cost wont make a difference to me, because doing it this way will be less than what I'm paying my stylist.

Pray for me y'all! :D