Seborrheic Dermatitis & Relaxers

browncrownQt

I have a dilemma!! I have been natural for three years. I have a color, but no other chemicals. I also have dermatitis of the scalp, which I have been able to control with OTC Nizoral & Selsun Blue. Unfortunately, because of my job, I find it easier to straighten my hair. However, due to all the heat, my hair has thinned out and broken off. I have a history of not being very good of taking care of my hair. I have grown & chopped off my hair three times in the last ten years. I am considering a relaxer again, but I don't know what would be the best one for my sensitive scalp. My hair is not in the greatest shape now, so I would probably wait until I nurse my hair back to health w/o the heat(flat irons, pressing comb). Does anyone have any suggestions? I would definately appreciate any and all!

senimoni

Get an Rx for Dermasmooth and heal/close the scalp first.. I've used Designer Touch and Affirm both with lye and I only get scabs or have issues if its flared up or I have been scratching right before.

Mystic

Affirm and designer touch burnt my scalp like fire. I always had to wash the relaxer out before time. I have been using Phyto 1 and 11 for 8 months now and index 1 never burn - no matter how long I keep the relaxer in. Index 11 burned a little because I went over the processing time. Phyto is a really great relaxer and for a scalp as sensitive as yours, I would try index 1. Before relaxing though, I would have a chat with the dermatologist. Relaxing might not be healthy for your scalp condition.

morehairplease

senimoni said:
Get an Rx for Dermasmooth and heal/close the scalp first.. I've used Designer Touch and Affirm both with lye and I only get scabs or have issues if its flared up or I have been scratching right before.

senimoni thanks SO much for posting this! I will ask my derm about this next month.

morehairplease

ivanay said:
Affirm and designer touch burnt my scalp like fire. I always had to wash the relaxer out before time. I have been using Phyto 1 and 11 for 8 months now and index 1 never burn - no matter how long I keep the relaxer in. Index 11 burned a little because I went over the processing time. Phyto is a really great relaxer and for a scalp as sensitive as yours, I would try index 1. Before relaxing though, I would have a chat with the dermatologist. Relaxing might not be healthy for your scalp condition.

my derm said the same thing. Although, he also advised me to wash my hair w/selsun blue everyday and apply nothing else....what a load of crap that was.:eek:

dynamic1

This was one of the reasons I stopped relaxing. I do not have nearly as many flare ups. When I was getting relaxers regularly, I used Derma Smoothe and Nizoral. I had a lot less shedding with this combo. The stylist would use the Nizoral once and the 2nd time she would leave it for 5 minutes. Then she followed with a moisturizing poo and deep conditioner. Her technique cut back on the dryness from the Nizoral.

byrdmail

Dermasmooth is an oil. If I recall (I am preggo and can't use it or any of the meds for my dermatitis and psoriasis), the primary oil is peanut oil. I think it might also have mineral oil in it. Although it is a bit messy, it gets the job done. I normally use Dermasmooth oil and either Loprox or Clobex shampoo.

I'm relaxed 4a/b. After I stopped putting oil/grease/lotions directly on my scalp, my dermatitis went away....

Relaxing at this point may cause it to worsen, but if you decide to do it, it will help not to put alot of stuff on your scalp that may cause excess build up. Maybe this way you can manage the dermatitis with the shampoos suggested.

sistawithsumthin

For those who use Loprox is it any better than using Nizoral? My daughter's insurance will only pay $2.00 on a $72.00 prescription. She still gets the scabs but with frequent washings it is not so bad.

If Loprox stops them altogether then I will have to break down and get it.

sistawithsumthin

Off topic a little but does anyone with dermatitis have flare ups on the face? My daughter was using Oxistat on her face and she is on something else now but is it all still related to the dermatitis on the scalp?

nicki6

sistawithsumthin said:
Off topic a little but does anyone with dermatitis have flare ups on the face? My daughter was using Oxistat on her face and she is on something else now but is it all still related to the dermatitis on the scalp?

I have flareups that present around my nostrils. The thing that works best for me is Luxiq. Its a foam steroid that is applied directly to the scalp. What I love about it is that it works within 2-3 days when used twice a day. I only use it when I notice scalp tenderness or a breakout around my nose.

CynamonKis

Wow--when I saw this post i recalled that in my younger years I was diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis in my face.....the white blotches in my face have since diminished greatly but i have not treated for it in years.

browncrownQt said:
I have a dilemma!! I have been natural for three years. I have a color, but no other chemicals. I also have dermatitis of the scalp, which I have been able to control with OTC Nizoral & Selsun Blue. Unfortunately, because of my job, I find it easier to straighten my hair. However, due to all the heat, my hair has thinned out and broken off. I have a history of not being very good of taking care of my hair. I have grown & chopped off my hair three times in the last ten years. I am considering a relaxer again, but I don't know what would be the best one for my sensitive scalp. My hair is not in the greatest shape now, so I would probably wait until I nurse my hair back to health w/o the heat(flat irons, pressing comb). Does anyone have any suggestions? I would definately appreciate any and all!

senimoni

I use the dermasmooth on my face too or otc hydrocortisone...but the ds works much quicker. I had it at the hairline, eyebrows, and creases of the nose and ear. Not sure why :knock on wood: it hasn't been back on my face for awhile, could be obagi, or fish oil, or msm...no idea. The scalp still tends to flare up at least 1x every couple of months.

Opal1821

Is there a way to cure it or is it just something we're supposed to deal with forever? My dermatologist said he has it and still uses Loprox every now and then years later

senimoni

From what I have read it can only be managed and not cured....strange b/c I never had issues until I went off to school at 17/18.

sistawithsumthin

senimoni said:
I use the dermasmooth on my face too or otc hydrocortisone...but the ds works much quicker. I had it at the hairline, eyebrows, and creases of the nose and ear. Not sure why :knock on wood: it hasn't been back on my face for awhile, could be obagi, or fish oil, or msm...no idea. The scalp still tends to flare up at least 1x every couple of months.

These are exactly all the places that she breaks out. Do you have any permanent scars from them? She is only fifteen and is worried about it.

BTW I personally wouldn't suggest for anyone to relax with this condition. There is just too much pain with the relaxer if you have a sore anywhere on the scalp and then have to wait for them to heal before getting a touchup.

brickhouse

Derma-smoothe is so great. I learned about it from this board. I just hate paying my $35 co-pay. I use prescription Nizoral but it does not work like the Derma-smoothe. The only time I burn with a relaxer is when I have a crusted scalp. When I do not have flare ups I rarely burn. My sure your scalp is clear first. I use affirm fiberguard with lye.