Scalp Stimulating Oils vs. No Oil on Scalp

soslychic

I no longer oil my scalp and my scalp is still never dry and certainly never itchy like before. However, I was wanting to start using a few stimulating oils to encourage hair growth. Does anyone do this? Is even these few amount of oils bad for the scalp and have potential to clog it? Has anyone gotten good resutls from doing this ?What oils have this effect?

Nonie

Soslychic, I've done the stimulating oil thing so infrequently, but I do want to share what I do, just in case you're as averse to applying oils or anything to your scalp as I am.

In the past, I have made an overnight preshampoo stimulating treatment using jojoba oil or avocado oil with a few drops of either peppermint EO (stimulant) or rosemary EO (another stimulant) and applied it to my scalp. I then slept in a plastic cap allowing my head to enjoy wonderful tingles through the night. In the morning, I shampooed away the oils and did my final rinse with ACV so I could make sure my scalp was squeaky clean. This way I got the stimulation without having to leave the oils in my scalp after the shampoo.

Another thing you could try -- and I say this from my experience with UBH conditioner -- is perhaps add a few drops of the stimulating EOs to your conditioner. Cathy Howse's conditioner has peppermint in it, and so it gives those tingles during deep conditioning, which is probably why I don't do the pre-shampoo treatments as often since I don't miss them tingles.

St Ives Intensive Moisture Treatment doesn't seem to do much for my hair -- although I haven't used it long enough to give an accurate review -- but it does give your scalp the tingles too, due to the rosemary and mint in it. I have only recently started using it and I only apply it to my scalp. BTW, you use it after your shampoo.

And now my FAVORITE tingles inducer: Aubrey Organics Rosemary and Sage Hair and Scalp Rinse. You use this after your shampoo and before your conditioner. Not only does it remove shampoo residue and prepare your hair for conditioner, but for the few minutes you have it on your scalp before rinsing it off to apply conditioner, you get this OUT OF THIS WORLD feeling. My final rinse is always an ACV one, but I'll tell you, even though my scalp always feels clean after ACV, it feels so much more alive if I use this AO rinse between my shampoo and conditioner. The AO Rinse is for normal to oily scalp... so can you say SQUEAKY CLEAN STIMULATION GALORE?
[I wish they made a bigger bottle!]

OK...nuff raving f'now.

eripmaven45

i've heard alot of good things about primrose oil in a spray bottle w/ water and wutever else you like(eg. peppermint,jojoba).

26INCHHAIR

Have u heard of ORS Dry hair oil, I used it on my hair and I think its a good product for stimulation. Does any one else use this and do they get good results?

angellazette

Stimulating oils as in strictly essential oils? I think that would be too harsh on the scalp alone, they need to be mixed with carrier oils...so putting stimulating oils on the scalp would still be oiling the scalp.

There are a few oils that I like to keep in rotation, the first definately being coconut oil. Coconut oil softens the hair and conditions the scalp.

Next would be avocado butter. "Avocado butter is a very rich, moisturizing treatment for the hair and skin, and it has some natural sunscreen properties." "This oil is rich in vitamins A, D and E; contains proteins, lecithin and amino acids. This highly therapeutic oil is said to have healing and regenerating properties. High percentage of unsaponifiables.Heals scaly skin and scalp."

I use castor oil here and there, and just started again with black castor oil. "Castor oil is rich in fatty acids. It is very soothing and lubricating to the skin. It acts as a humectant attracting moisture to the skin." It's also good to use with eo's as it helps the eo's penetrate.

Lastly, wheat germ oil. I really don't like the smell but I use it because of it's high vitamin e content. "Wheatgerm oil is rich is vitamins A, D and more importantly, E. It is often used sparingly to prolong the shelf life of massage oils and will discourage oxidation within the unsaponifiables in soap. It is also very nourishing to the skin. Wheatgerm oil prevents moisture loss from the skin, and it soothes irritated, sunburned, or burned skin. "Strong aroma, use sparingly. Unrefined Wheatgerm oil is a pungent oil with preservative qualities that extend the shelf life of other carrier oils and only a few drops are needed. This is a heavy oil with a deep penetration to repair skin damage skin, and is absorbed into the deeper skin tissue, and so is popular in beauty care. Very good for healing scar tissue and burns. Add a few drops to other oils for dry skin care. "

I also add peppermint, rosemary, and lavendar eo's to oils above.

"Rosemary and Lavender are excellent for all types of hair. Rosemary helps stimulate hair follicles and promotes growth, helps retard premature thinning and graying, and soothes and conditions the scalp. Lavender stimulates hair growth, balances oil production and replenishes the hair and scalp. "

Last edited:

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
My mixture of EVOO and peppermint EO is what I use near the new growth and throughout my hair. I feel the tingle when is applied to the area. I don't put oil on my scalp, though. I took some conditioner and added the peppermint to it and, Whoa, Nellie, my hair was doing the deep conditioner tingle shuffle!

Besides the rosemary, peppermint, and the lavender EO, cinnamon, bergamot, and ginger also stimulate the scalp as well. My next shopping list will be the lavender and the rosemary EO, along with the jojoba and avocado carrier oils for my scalp massage oils.

BC