Salon Horror Stories

theprototype

I'm a DIYer except for my relaxer.

I've been going to the same hairdresser since I was 14 (I'm 26 now).

Within the past couple of years, every time I'm there, her son, who is about my age, maybe a little younger, comes in asking for money (for drugs. He hasn't SAID so, but she knows it and so does everyone in the shop). It's always the same thing - her saying no for 5-10 minutes, then her giving him a twenty just to get him to leave. It's so awkward, and actually pretty dangerous, to be honest.

taz007

I'm a DIYer except for my relaxer.

I've been going to the same hairdresser since I was 14 (I'm 26 now).

Within the past couple of years, every time I'm there, her son, who is about my age, maybe a little younger, comes in asking for money (for drugs. He hasn't SAID so, but she knows it and so does everyone in the shop). It's always the same thing - her saying no for 5-10 minutes, then her giving him a twenty just to get him to leave. It's so awkward, and actually pretty dangerous, to be honest.
Oh wow..:nono:

Bene

I don't have any, but when I was about 13, my mom took me in for a haircut, and the lady had a parrot who kept calling me "puta" :lachen:

Bird: Cawwww Puta! Puta!
Lady: *nervous laughter*
Bird: Puta! Puta!
Me: Did... did that bird just call me "puta"?
Lady: ..... She's saying "Coca" tee hee
Bird: Cawwww Puta! Puta!

Last edited:

taz007

I have two stories:

I went to a hair salon and the hair dresser was new to me as I had just moved to this city. Her natural hair was FIERCE! So why did she wash my 4BZZZZ hair, not put any conditioner in, put me under the dryer WITHOUT DETANGLING and then try to blow dry my DRY hair with a comb attachment. I walked out.

The next time, was THE LAST STRAW. A black, male hair dresser. :nono: I had all even, two inches below SL hair. I wanted this cut:

WHY DID I LEAVE THE SALON LOOKING LIKE:

I was beyond LIVID! :angry2::angry2: I asked him if he was blind??!! As I was getting in my car, the salon owner said "Oh, your hair looks cute" to make me feel better. I must have shot her the look of death 'cause she scurried her butt to the back of the salon.

Needless to say, that was my LAST salon visit.:nono:

BostonMaria

Well a few weeks ago I went to the salon for a Dominican blowout and the stylist blowfried my hair so badly that I was in pain, next morning I wake up and I have a scab in that area. It took a week before the pain went away. Mind you, I wasn't even going in for a relaxer! My hair is natural!

locabouthair

I went to a new salon searching for the perfect stylist:rolleyes: I let her relax me the first time because I needed a touch up so bad but I didnt want to go back to the previous stylist.

A week later I noticed my nape was gone. She didnt neutralize or wash out the relaxer properly. I was so heartbroken because I was trying to grow my hair out desperately. The thing was when she was applying it, she didnt overlap and was really gentle but she was careless enough that I was almost bald at the nape.

Lesson learned. Go to the salon for a wash and set first before you let them touch your head with a relaxer.

I've had a lot of bad experiences at the salon but I'll never forget that one.

Attachments

• Picture070-vi.jpg
    Picture070-vi.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 146

a_shoe_6307

I went to a salon and the stylist I went to was pretty good. The only problem I had with him was that he talked and gossiped too much. Well while he was gossiping on day he burns my ear really bad. He apologized ran around was doing stuff and turned me around and put some oil on my ear. I think I'm look fly with my swang going on. I get home look in the mirror and notice a huge blonde spot. I go to touch it and inspect it more close up and it falls out in my hands. He not only burned my ear, but also had burned about a 1 inch section of hair in the front of my head. I had to cut the rest of the burned hair off to about 3 inches when the rest of my hair was BSL. I was sooooooo upset. It would stick straight up & I would have to try to blend it and put tons of product on it to make it lay down. I looked crazy for about 3 to 4 months. After that I never went back to him. My neighbor who still went to him kept telling me he was asking about me and I told her I was doing my hair myself because I couldn't afford it. I knew she knew that I was lying, but I didn't care.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
My horror story would have to be getting burns on my scalp from having my stylist relax my hair and I let her do this every time because I thought relaxers are suppose to make your hair bone straight and that mine was too stubborn. I would have scabs afterward too. Coming to this forum has been a lesson learned and I will be learning to texlax my head at home.

LadyRaider

God protects fools and drunks so my salon horror story is the horror at a near miss problem.

I'd been going to JCP for relaxers for all of my adult life. Hey. I had a credit card there. I never really selected a stylist. I would just call when I was desperate for a relaxer and take whoever was available.

In the last few years I'd gotten a bit more selective. I'd found a lady I liked and saw the value of sticking with her. She moved on however and once again I was back in the tide pool.

When I called and asked for Rachel, I was told she'd moved and would I like Ms. So and So. The only problem with Ms. So and So is that she didn't speak English. I said no, I'd rather work with someone I could speak to. I was then given to a nice, if dull-styling, black lady.

Well eventually I called a few months later, and the black lady they'd given me to the time before as supposedly unavailable and the only person that could do it was Ms. So and So and she still couldn't speak English. I was desperate once again for a relaxer (I thought my dry, brittle hair was a sign that I needed a relaxer back then.) So I accepted.

It was weird because the black lady I'd asked for was indeed there. I told her I'd asked for her and she got this "Mmmmm hmmm" look on her face. I think the folks who answered the phones were peddling Ms. So and So because no one ever wanted her (because she didn't speak English.)

I guess it went okay. It was the second to last relaxer I've had. The black lady kept hovering and checking me and making sure things went right.

That was Nov. of 2008. In Feb. of 2009, I found the HHJ crowd. I didn't go back for another relaxer until the last week of April in 2009. The black lady I'd found before was gone, but I went to an older white lady who had cut my hair (SHORT!!!) in Dec. I liked her.

Anyway... she does my (very last) relaxer and all is fine, but she tells me that Ms. So and So had wreaked much havoc on people's hair. Lots of burns and hair coming out and screaming and very upset clients. She'd eventually been "let go."

I was horrified that that could have been me. I think the luck that the black lady was there that day watching over me saved me. Or like I said, God protects fools. :lachen:

I haven't been back. I went to the white lady in late June for color and she expected me back for a relaxer. But heck. I've since learned that a 6 dollar box of Miss Clairol Touch Up took care of my color issues, and I've learned that my hair needs moisture, not relaxers.

I know she's wondering, "Where's that fool black lady at? She was good for an easy 170 dollars for relaxer, semi-perm color and a cut. And a tip too!" :grin:

Last edited:

teysmith

I have two stories:

I went to a hair salon and the hair dresser was new to me as I had just moved to this city. Her natural hair was FIERCE! So why did she wash my 4BZZZZ hair, not put any conditioner in, put me under the dryer WITHOUT DETANGLING and then try to blow dry my DRY hair with a comb attachment. I walked out.

The next time, was THE LAST STRAW. A black, male hair dresser. :nono: I had all even, two inches below SL hair. I wanted this cut:

I was beyond LIVID! :angry2::angry2: I asked him if he was blind??!! As I was getting in my car, the salon owner said "Oh, your hair looks cute" to make me feel better. I must have shot her the look of death 'cause she scurried her butt to the back of the salon.

Needless to say, that was my LAST salon visit.:nono:

LMAO!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen: WOW! HUNNY YOUR HAIR LOOKED A HOT MESS!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAH!! SORRY:blush:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
:spinning:
I'd been going to this lady for a few years, and I had my hair flat ironed for the first time in years for a job interview. She told me it would look better if she trimmed a little, so I said okay. She trimmed, then told me that I should get it touched up by a professional because she doesn't know how to trim and it was uneven.

I was thinking, "Then why did you trim it in the first place?!?!" I was so mad.

wow, that made me crack out laughing, thats crazy. did you look back at her? i bet her face looked like this :spinning:<---literally.

Samory07

When I was much younger (12) my hair stylist decided to put a relaxer on top of my jerri curl because my mom didn't like how expensive it was and how much up keep went along with it. Nuff said :lachen: I'm happy to have hair to this day.

sharifeh

I'd been going to this lady for a few years, and I had my hair flat ironed for the first time in years for a job interview. She told me it would look better if she trimmed a little, so I said okay. She trimmed, then told me that I should get it touched up by a professional because she doesn't know how to trim and it was uneven.

I'm sorry, I'm rolling here! :rofl:

was she for real though? :rolleyes:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

coconow2007

Last time I went to a salon the stylist (who is a very nice lady) was in the middle of flat ironing the back of my hair when this gorgeous guy comes in to sell her some products. Needless to say home girl singed off my hair because she was so rattled by him standing next to her. I was like 'hey my hair' and she was really aplogetic and guy was trying not to laugh. I was mad but I had to admit it was funny and the guy was ridiciously good looking.

melissa-bee

I've only been to the hairdressers twice in my life but the last time i went about 2 years ago was appalling. I walked in and the girl didn't even introduce her self, i had a steam treatment done, so all she said to me was "stand up" "si down" so after my steam she blow dryed my hair and then some woman, who i don't even know if she worked there or is the woman's friend, came in and started flat ironing my hair. And then soon after she left. So i paid the first girl and i had £5 change and she was lingering on to the note when giving me the change like i owe her a tip.

hair4romheaven

I went to a stylist thinking since she was a forum member for over 7 years and everyone raved about her she knew what she was doing. uuuggghhh I was about 7 months post just took out a weave so my hair looked so thick like virgin hair. I asked for a relaxer not bone straight. she put a super relaxer in my hair then started combing it through to the ends. long story short I ended up with bone straight hair and cried for a long time. This happened last year in Nov. :-( seems like my hair was never going to be the same but I have faith.

LadyRaider

I went to a stylist thinking since she was a forum member for over 7 years and everyone raved about her she knew what she was doing. uuuggghhh I was about 7 months post just took out a weave so my hair looked so thick like virgin hair. I asked for a relaxer not bone straight. she put a super relaxer in my hair then started combing it through to the ends. long story short I ended up with bone straight hair and cried for a long time. This happened last year in Nov. :-( seems like my hair was never going to be the same but I have faith.

It's like new growth scares them, huh? Sends them into panic mode. She pulled a bazooka out on your hair in self-defense. :rolleyes: No wonder they want us to come back every 8 weeks.

LoveLiLi

You should have beat her over the head with your shoe!

hair4romheaven

It's like new growth scares them, huh? Sends them into panic mode. She pulled a bazooka out on your hair in self-defense. :rolleyes: No wonder they want us to come back every 8 weeks.

:lachen:LOL yes she did. Look at my avi that's 3.5 mths post so imagine how it looked when I went to her. It was my mistake I shouldn't have trusted her I have had stylist problem since being in GA so I should've known better. :wallbash:

LoveLiLi

My real horror story:
I went to a Dominican salon for high-lights and a trim. I showed her pictures of exactly what I wanted, subtle chocolate brown high-lights.

She was rough with my hair and my color came out an ashy blonde. To make matters worse, she also messed up my trim. When she was half-way through taking my rollers out I tilted my head slightly so I could get a glimpse of her in the mirror. She was trimming off hair with each roller she took out!

Needless to say, my hair looked choppy - I seriously looked like Raggedy Anne because my hair was so many different lengths. I was transitioning and she hadn't even blow-dried or flat ironed my hair before randomly snipping the ends. :nono:

My LHCF horror story (cause this would only be scary to us):
I was apl at the beginning of 2009. My lower layers grow faster than the rest and almost every time I'd grow past apl, a stylist would trim my hair right back to apl. :ohwell:

It's now almost 2010 and thanks to my recent trims I'm hovering right above apl again. :eek2:

Nya33

When i was 14 my dad took me to the salon for cornrow and the ends left curly. So the next day all of the front was coming loose so my dad took me back. The stylist said ill glue it down for her, dad was like i dont think so what else can you do? I ended up with a dodgy cornrow braid all along the front of my hairline. My mum said that is the last time your dad takes you to the salon.

FluffyRed

I had moved to DC after spending a year in braids.

My hair was below SL.

I had heard about DC stylists, so I set about finding the best one (which I thought meant "most expensive," being a teen). I found one called Bernard de Paris, I think, in NW. But they were a yt salon.

He took my natural napps and put a thio perm on them. I had no idea that was a JHERI CURL WITHOUT THE JUICE!!! My hair was fried to death. THen I had to find a good blk stylist to fix it. She worked with my for a year, trimming and relaxing new growth and kept me in a bob until all that crap grew out. EXPENSIVE!!!

The moral - ALWAYS get a referral. NEVER walk in to a salon of which you have no knowledge!

CurlyNue

IThe next time, was THE LAST STRAW. A black, male hair dresser. :nono: I had all even, two inches below SL hair. I wanted this cut:

Oh Lord help me. This is too funny. :lol::lachen:Not only do these two styles look nothing alike, but the curls is super tight. Looks like you were his very first client/hair cut since he passed the licensing exam.

skegeesmb

I have two. I went to a Dominican salon for a blowout. The stylist said she wanted to cut a little bit off. I said o.k. and told her JUST a little bit because the ends didn't seem bad to me.

I went from this:

To this:

The second one I'm still recovering from. I had just moved to Georgia and wanted to have a different style. So I decided to have my hair lightened. The stylist cut my hair into layers and dyed it Beyonce'ish blond. She did tight spiral curls and used SPRITZ on my hair. My hair was itching terribly and when I went to wash it three sections completely fell out on the floor. She had spritzed those areas and curled it with a curling iron to where the spritz fused with my hair. My hair that actually fell out looked like attachments you clip in, that's how much spritz was on my roots. I had to cut, so I went from this:

November 07:

to this: Feb 08

to finally this Jul 08:

My hair didn't stop falling out until July 2009. So I have been cutting every couple of months to cut out the damaged hair. I dyed my hair back to the brown due to growing out the color. I will never have a relaxer and lighten my hair at the same time again.

JMH1908

Went to a salon in Irvington, NJ that I've been going to off and on. They told me I needed a touch up before getting my doobie, so I said ok what the heck. Why did she relax my hair to the ends as if I had virgin hair..uggh!!! You said I needed a touch up, so why proceed to the ends:wallbash: . So needless to say, that was the last touch up I received from a salon. Even before then, I was always a DIYer but wanted to treat myself..HA! Never again! My hair was so damaged that I had to trim it every 4 weeks until it grew out..and I was APL too.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
skegeesmb, did you go back and show that woman what she did to you?!

If that was me...I don't even think I'd be sitting here right now. I'd probably be in jail, doing 25 to life. :nono: