*SAFE* Amount of MSM?

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
So I have heard about some of the unpleasant effects some have experienced due to MSM. I would like to use it for some of the positive benefits.

Someone who is knowledgeable about MSM, please school me on what would be a reasonable amount of MSM per day. I am not looking for faster hair growth, so I am not interested in mega doses.

Also, is there anyone out there who took what you would consider a safe amount and still experienced negative side effects? How much were you taking?

Is it best to start with a certain (smaller) amount and then work my way up to a larger, still safe, amount?

Thanks in Advance!

hairdrama:{

I have the powder kind. For me a safe dose is 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon missed with orange juice so the Vit C can do its thing. Have not taken it for a while, when I did, I had no headaches, no breakouts, and no drama....:lachen:
Haven't tried the pills...:perplexed

mariofmagdal

MSM is a natural detoxer. Most of the complaints people have are actually detox symptoms that erroneously are taken as the product does not work for me. As with any product that detoxes the body, there are two ways to combat it. Lower your dose until you feel better, or simply go through it and increase your water intake so the toxins can be washed away. I started with 1g per day in capsule form, then gradually moved up to 12g where I currently am and will remain. I take the powder form now mixed in a juice. The good news about MSM is that you can't over do it, whatever the body does not need is released. 12g is a good medicinal dose. I have never had any negative results. I did go through the detox symptoms but worked my way through them. They included, headache, body aches, and a messed up menstrual cycle. Everything went away about as quickly as it came. It really helped with my menstrual cycle as it is now pain free. I can attribute a hair growth spurt and looser texture to MSM, but overall I feel great with its use. If I were you, I would start with 1g and slowly move up in dosage only as your body agrees. I hope I have helped.

Ivy Santolina

I take 3gms per day and I never noticed any negative side-effects. I have however experienced a lot more energy. I take 1 1500mg tablet with breakfast and 1 1500mg tablet with lunch. I also add MSM powder to my MegaTek mix. I can't say if it has helped my hair. I can say my hair isn't worse.

Nonie

Here's a chart that might help you in devising a schedule for building up to high amounts:

http://www.a1msm.co.uk/msm-suggested-use-charts.htm

And now some unsettling news. I love Distilpure and while I honestly can't say I've ever seen its effects on my hair, I have been comfortable ordering it...and trusted it was superior to others. I am a little saddened that one of the things that sold me on it was a lie (just saw this now): http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/03/12/distilpur-ads.html?ref=rss

mariofmagdal

I order mine from Kala Health. No problems, I have it on autoship. I purchase the OptiMSM Flakes and the OptiMSM skin and facial gel, maximum strength. (We live in the country, the gel is an awesome healer of the strange bites my kids get)

Check it out here:
www.kalahealth.com

Last edited:

Nonie

I order mine from Kala Health. No problems, I have it on autoship. I purchase the OptiMSM Flakes and the OptiMSM skin and facial gel, maximum strength. (We live in the country, the gel is an awesome healer of the strange bites my kids get)

Check it out here:
www.kalahealth.com

Thanks for the info. I do like the sound of this. For the record I never had any problems with Distilpure so I don't think it is the debil, but why lie unnecessarily about one thing? Why say it's from plant when it isn't? Makes it hard to believe other claims they make. I will stick to TriMedica Pure MSM which has been my other alternative and this Kala Health one...unless I hear something else about them that is untrue, then I'll just settle for a jar of Sulphur grease. Might turn out to be better than EVOO in food. :look:

mariofmagdal

I know what you mean. These marketing tactics often get companies into trouble for little to no reason, their product is usually good. Everybody wants to be number one, they should let the product speak for itself, surely there are enough consumers to go around.

naturallygoldie

I started with 1, 000mg then 2 then 3 then 4 in pill form. I had some of the detox symptoms for like the very first day and that was it. I haven't experienced any of the horrific effects that others have had. It is a natural detoxer and i continue taking it. I accidentally took one tablespoon instead of one teaspone (12, 000mg) and I didn't feel anything different. HTH