ROLLERSETTERS......(doobie pros)

mahogany_horizons

Can you recommend a product that can give me a bit of a softer set. I am using one of those bargin basement products right now diluted with oil and a bit of water. It's sort of liquidy but it is not a mousse or a creme (I think it's called fantasia). Because I got a brand new dryer, the Tourmaline tools, I will probably set my hair again this weekened. I am looking for a product that will give me soft curls. I don't necessarily care about hold, in fact, it' be better if it would "not hold so well" if that makes sense, since ultimately I would like to comb it out into a wrap without it being so hard. I like this stuff, and would use it with rods, but I really want something so that I can make a "doobie" rollerset combed out, and this stuff makes my hair too stiff.

Any recommendations?

Also does anyone know any good doobie tutorials.

I do a good job with my sets, and I like this lotion, but it's makes my hair a little too hard.

Also, can you do a good doobie just by combing out a rollerset with a wide toothed comb, and maintain it by wrapping?

TexturedTresses

This is what I do. I deep condition my hair. After I rinse the deep conditioner out. I take a dab, about a quarter sized... my hair is too thick for a dime size, and put it back into my hair. Sit under dryer. If i want a sleek set, I use gray rollers. If I want curls, I use purple. If I use the grey rollers, after my hair dry, I put a dab of jane carter nourish and shine... whatever moisturizer you use should be fine... in my hair. I then wrap it REALLY tight and put saran wrap around it. I sit under the dryer for five minues. When it finishes it looks like the first picture in my pikistrips. I also like nexxus headress as a leave in too and normally get a shiny rollerset from this. However, it gives your hair volume and I have enough of that. If I use the purple, I pin curl right after and wake up to sexy version of shirley temple.

dlewis

I dilute my setting lotion, maybe 40% water 60% setting lotion and it works fine for me. My sets are never hard.

PinkPebbles

I like soft sets too! I only use Lacio Lacio Dominican leave in conditioner....shiny, soft and bouncy hair with this stuff!

Solitude

Your leave-in might be too heavy because you are mixing it with oil.

I used Garnier Fructis smoothing milk & Chi Silk Infusion. My result (after my set & saran wrap) is in my siggy.

Brooklyn72

I use giovanni leave in, a little bit of mango butter and one pump of Kera care foam wrap setting lotion. My hair is bouncey and not hard at all. Yes, if you don't want to saran wrap your hair, you can just wrap it and put a scarf on it over night. I would assume for your hair the oil probably is weighing it down a bit, I would skip that step next time. You could also put a tiny bit (size of a pea) of oil on your hair right after you take out the rollers if need be.

silkii_locks

You should check out macheriamour's rollersetting tutorial on healthytextures.typepad.com . I think she just sets her hair with a little leave in conditioner and plain water. I use a little Keracare wrap foam and plain spring water. I get perfectly soft bouncy sets every time:yep:

Esq.2B

Have you tried brushing your hair with a paddle brush after you remove the rollers? I mean, literally brushing all of your hair back, then start from the middle brushing it in circular motions until all of it is in a wrap. Then tie it down with a scarf. I learned that trick from a Dominican stylist I used to go too. When I comb my hair down, it's straight and sleek.

As far as setting lotion, I use Lacio, Lacio (it's a leavin but it also holds the curls softly), and at times I use ORS setting lotion in addition to the Lacio.

Last edited:

daydreem2876

carpe diem
My sets come out bouncy, silky, and shiny when I use a foam wrap solution especially Keracare opposed to regular setting lotion and I had to learn to not use so much procuct when putting in my leave ins! :spinning:

PuddingPop

I agree with all the ladies that mentioned Lacio lacio. I tried ift for the first time on Sunday and my roller set was sooo sotf. A little too soft for my taste.

mahogany_horizons

Your leave-in might be too heavy because you are mixing it with oil.

I used Garnier Fructis smoothing milk & Chi Silk Infusion. My result (after my set & saran wrap) is in my siggy.

I actually don't just set with my leavin...I was using a setting lotion...but if I am reading what you ladies say correctly, I'm thinking that I can just use my leave-in.

Is this correct? Now I want to try it again this weekend, instead of my original plan to go right back to bunning. I think my hair will be so much softer and supple instead of using that serum stuff that gives hold. I don't like my hair to feel hard.

I think that is what is makign my hair feel harder.

mahogany_horizons

You should check out macheriamour's rollersetting tutorial on healthytextures.typepad.com . I think she just sets her hair with a little leave in conditioner and plain water. I use a little Keracare wrap foam and plain spring water. I get perfectly soft bouncy sets every time:yep:

Thanks for this tip :)

mahogany_horizons

Have you tried brushing your hair with a paddle brush after you remove the rollers? I mean, literally brushing all of your hair back, then start from the middle brushing it in circular motions until all of it is in a wrap. Then tie it down with a scarf. I learned that trick from a Dominican stylist I used to go too. When I comb my hair down, it's straight and sleek.

As far as setting lotion, I use Lacio, Lacio (it's a leavin but it also holds the curls softly), and at times I use ORS setting lotion in addition to the Lacio.

AFTER READING YOUR POST I TRIED IT LAST NIGHT, AND IT DID MAKE MY HAIR LAY DOWN, AND loosened the curls. I liked the effect. I've almost got my rollersetting completely down, if I can just make them so they are not stiff.

I think just using a leave in instead of a setting lotion may be key.....

so I can just use my leave in, and a dab of oil to set?

M.