Roller set breakage--pics attached

crispychris

Overtime I noticed that when I rollerset regularly my ends begins to thin. My hair turns out lovely when I rollerset however my ends always snap when wet (no matter how careful I am) and after I take out my rollers the sink and floor is filled with broken hair ends. I detangle with wide tooth comb, saturate hair with water, no setting lotion, and I detangle well in shower. I relax every three months, oil ends with jojoba at night and serum in the day, deep condition, Aphogee 2 min, and I wash hair only twice a month. I try to trim ends with relaxer every three months, but now it has been more frequent I am beginning to think overtime I lose more hair in rollersetting. So how much end breakage is normal with rollersetting or what are you doing differently to maintain your ends? First pic is rollersetting after three months post relaxer and dirty and second pic is about two months post relaxer, airdried in bun and flat ironing the next day...maybe rollersetting is not for me.

Attachments

• Hair Breakage.JPG
    Hair Breakage.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 214
  • No rollersetting.jpg
    No rollersetting.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Aww. Your hair still looks pretty healthy. You may need to trim the "rat tails" as my mom say but it's fine.
I read that the tension on the rollers cause breakage because wet hair stretch and then contracts as it dries.Thus you should loosely roll the hair.

Personally I got more retension from blow drying and flat ironing. I think I am going to start back again. My hair just looked a little better with the rollersets though.HTH

I don't get a lot of breakage when I rollerset. I get way more when I braid out. I wish someone could give me some tips to minimize that kind of breakage. Nonetheless girlie, I use my leave in moisturizer, water, and a dab of oil to set. I never experience breakage. I lightly comb through each section of hair with a fine tooth comb, very gently. I make sure the hair is securely on the roller, and flat to the roller, no fish hooks. Other wise you will have breakage. For maintaining the style daily, I merely wrap it at nights, and finger comb and go in the morning. Works for me.

Your hair is nice in your siggy by the ay.

I have no advice at all....just wanted to commiserate. I don't roller set for this very reason- hair all over the place. I was causing setbacks by rollersetting. I am so jealous of people that have beautiful rollersets. OP would you think about maybe air drying instead of roller setting? Your hair looks very beautiful. Good luck !

maybe you are pulling the roller too much when you roll the hair. Try not to roll pull too much. This use to happen to me all the time until I took the time to realize that wet hair stretches and when it dries it shrinks back to it's normal length

maybe you are pulling the roller too much when you roll the hair. Try not to roll pull too much. This use to happen to me all the time until I took the time to realize that wet hair stretches and when it dries it shrinks back to it's normal length

Good advice, tay luv! Love your hair -- it's absolutely stunning! :gorgeous:

Thank you for all your advice. As far as protein... I apply hard Aphogee treatment two weeks before three month relaxer. After seeing my photos I believe that I will no longer rollerset and try what works best for me.

OP, do you shed right after you take the rollers out? I'm wondering if you need to dust your ends.

The only other thing I can think of is washing 2x a month might be causing the problem. I have dry hair that constantly needs moisture. Maybe you should wash at least 3-4 x a month and add an oil to seal moisture. One last thing, how are you wearing your hair at night?

Thank you for all your advice. As far as protein... I apply hard Aphogee treatment two weeks before three month relaxer. After seeing my photos I believe that I will no longer rollerset and try what works best for me.
Maybe you should try to do a protein treatment more often. At least once a month. :perplexed

I use to notice too much hair in the sink too after rollersetting, i switched from the rat tail comb to a styling comb and it's a wider tooth comb so no hair pulling etc. also try not to roll too tight, it says when you roll too tight when the hair dries it shrinks and then snaps if it's too tight on the rollers,
keep this in mind, i don't roll my hair too tight, i try to pull it taut but not too much, and now there's no more breakage.

so try: wider tooth comb, not rolling too tight

hth

BostonMaria—1st week I wrap my hair at night 2nd week I sleep with a bun bc usually ends are oily
LongHairLover-I will try a wider tooth comb, for some reason I always thought it had to be a rattail comb--thanks

However, I am still confused about rolling tight because I put most tension on the root when rolling I can't see how my ends are rolled tight bc I just lay hair on roller and roll up tight--does that make sense?

Maybe you could try to rollerset on dry hair, thats what I do when I dont want to sit under the dryer. I blow dry using heat protectant and then use moisturizer on the length of my hair( silken child moisturizer and castor oil mixed) and then I roll using snap on rollers and sleep in them over night and the next morning my hair is soft, shiny, and bouncy with beautiful curls. I roll my hair every night for that fresh rollerset look.

I think you are pulling your hair too tightly on the rollers when rolling your hair around the rollers and hence stretching the wet hair. When the hair dries it snaps because it needs to shrink back to its original length and cannot do so because it is rolled tightly around the rollers. This used to happen to me.

Great advice! This used to happen to me as well until I tried this technique.

This is why I stopped rollersettig after my second attempt... just too much hair loss and breakage :ohwell:.
Maybe my technique is off, but I'm pretty convinced that rollersetting is not for me.

your hair looks good inthe second pic, I wouldn't have known that you were having breakage problems had you not said so, but anyway, have tried to use a leave in conditioner before you began your rollersetting process?

I do see a difference in the two pictures :ohwell: maybe slack up on the rollersetting for a while to see if that works while trying other protective styles.

^ I see a difference as well. I would also stop for now until you find a new method to try. If you take a close look at your ends....are they actually split ends?

OP are you using a creamy leave-in to set your hair with? I find it important to continue conditioning the hair with a creamy lotion. Also I agree ratails are a no-go. Maybe using a seamless wide tooth comb would also help minimize breakage, it does for me. Also continuing to re-wet the hair as you set.

Yup I know exactly what you are talking about, i notced it last week after my cousin rollerset my hair. I was freaking out, a bunch of short hairs and she's like oh you know you have to shed. Ugh no:nono: that was not shedding so Im back to bunning. I thought I could ride out the rollersets guess not.

I am going to rollerset one more time without tension because I believe I am heavy handed and I will keep you guys updated. Thanks everyone!

As far as breakage associated with roller-setting I experienced the same thing. Except my breakage occurred where the heat hit my hair when I sat under the dryer. For me that is just too much harsh heat coming towards my hair all in one spot. So I tried it once and never again. I think you should leave it alone too.

I've experienced this as well. At first when I used to get doobies I blamed it on the dominicans, then it would happen with I self-rollerset. My theory was that maybe it's those metal double prong clips that are getting hot while under the dryer......:ohwell:IDK, but I'm gonna purchase me some caruso steam rollers instead.

OP, do you shed right after you take the rollers out? I'm wondering if you need to dust your ends.

The only other thing I can think of is washing 2x a month might be causing the problem. I have dry hair that constantly needs moisture. Maybe you should wash at least 3-4 x a month and add an oil to seal moisture. One last thing, how are you wearing your hair at night?

I agree. Reading the original post that part jumped out at me. I don't think twice a month is enough for some folks. I know my hair breaks like crazy without washing at least once a week... it just needs that moisture that nothing else can provide. Try washing your hair once a week for a month and see if that doesnt' help you, OP.

And definately make sure your hair is braided up/bunned/tied some kinda way before sleeping.... either with a satin sleep bonnet or a satin pillowcase.

Hmmm have yet to experience this..I cant even get the rollers tight enough anyway and since my hair is naturally very curly I have a lot of elasticity.

Back