Review: Ouidad Rocks!

Tracy

Well I finally got my shipment of Ouidad products on Tuesday, and spent the week trying them out. For the most part, the products are excellent - tho not in a typical kind of way....

I purchased the following: Water Works Shampoo, and the starter kit which included the Curl Quencher Shampoo and Condtioner, the Botanical Boost Leave In, the Climate Control Gel and the Deep Treatment.

I tried everything but the CQ Shampoo so far.

Deep Treatment: This was a creamy conditioner, the consistency was roughly between Humectress and Keracare Humecto. It doesn't go ON creamy (like say Suave M&H or Kenra MC). But that was ok because I considered it, upon review of the ingredients and description, a mildish protein condititoner (although it does pack more of a protein punch than most creamy proteins based on the ingredient list). I sat under a heating cap for 20 minutes and when the time was up I slathered on some of the curl quencher conditioner, and waited 10 minutes for my hair to cool. Then I rinsed. That rinse out was normal.Not goo gobs of slip but not nearly as much wet hair breakage as I've been getting. I blowdried my hair right after tho, and NO hair came out which had me
shocked.gif
because that NEVER happens to me anymore with all this color damage I have. I went two days between washes (washed and blowdried on Tuesday) and then washed again today. Excellent conditioner. Really does what it says it will do - mend and protect the hair from damage and breakage. I'll re-order it once I have some money. It's expensive, but it's a superior conditioner IMO.

The Curl Quencher by itself was another matter. I used that today in preparation for a wash and go. I used it as a simple rinse out conditioner and I must say it's excellent. It's most comparable, I'd say, to Elucence MB cond. I could even comb through my hair without it under the shower stream.

Neither has cones, which is rare in a conditioner and I still got some decent slip. We're not talking LUST or Pantene level slip here...but you can get a comb through your hair. This is particularly true of the CQ conditioner as a rinse out on it's own.

Incidentally, I also used the Curl Quencher all day Tuesday and all day today in between dips in the pool. My hair didn't feel ratty like it has been lately from being out in the sun with chlorine baking into my hair. It felt soft and smooth all day.
smile.gif
And speaking of chlorine....

Chlorine was why I ordered the Water Works Shampoo. It's supposed to remove mineral depostis and chlorine. It only contains Sodium LAURETH Sulfate (and not the more harsh cleansers on the market) and cleans well without stripping. It's not a moisturzing shampoo, but if you're in the pool a lot, or have hard water, it's a nice basic shampoo that meets the needs of hair that is exposed to that kind of element.

The Botanical Boost was just ok. It also has no cones, and so didn't help me detangle when I washed on Tuesday - but after the Deep Treatment and the CQ cond, I didn't find I needed much detangling. My hair came out straight when I did use it on Tuesday though, and it's a heat protectant as well, which always helps. The best thing about it was that it smelled like baby powder.
smile.gif

Besides the DT and the CQ conds, the best product of them all was the Climate Control Gel. I used this instead of a serum on my hair for both the blowdry and a wash and go. the reduction in frizz was DRAMATIC on my hair. That may have just been because my hair is very damaged, but I was pretty suprised. The gel contains Vitamin E and some proteins pretty high up on the ingriedent list - which is also nice because I felt like I was treating my hair as I styled it.

Overall, it's a great line and I plan to restock both conditioners, and the gel.

As far as scores, I'd give the following:

Curl Quencher Conditioner --> 8/10 (losing points only for slip. I understand her whole "no cone" philosophy but I'm used to my slip....)

Deep Treatment --> 9/10 a good mild protein. great for reducing breakage.

Climate Control Gel --> 10. This plus John Frieda Dream Curls got me the best curls I've had in a long time. Curls on very damaged hair is next to impossible. This gave me a headful, and kept my hair super straight, 8 weeks post relaxer in ridiculous humidity.

Botanical Boost Leave In --> 6. I'm not overly impressed. The ingredients are fantastic, but again - there was no slip. I'm trying to get my head around the concept of not having perpetually slippery hair. This rating may be a casualty of that unenlightened state.
laugh.gif

Water Works Shampoo --> For what it does...an 8 out of 10. As far as shampoos go overall.... about a 6. If Lanza Deep Cleansing takes out chlorine (I still have to research this) I'll d ef go with that instead.

So - that's my (as ever) longwinded review! Ingredients, her curl philosohpy, product info etc. can be found here: at Ouidad's website.

wave.gif

Thanks for the detailed review, Tracy!!
smile.gif
up.gif

You're making me anxious to try mine... I just have so much other darn stuff to try...
blush.gif
But I'll get to the Ouidad stuff soon!!
wink.gif

Great review!

So you're natural I take it...what's your hair type?

I'm very interested in the gel and the conditioner! So you would recommend those two most of all? Is the deep conditioner worth the price?

[ QUOTE ]
buffalosoldier said:

Thorough review Tracy
smile.gif
Thanks..I'd like to try the deep treatment but Im not paying $50.
Have you ever tried the curls line?

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole line is for curls.

[ QUOTE ]
PhonyBaloney500 said:
Great review!

So you're natural I take it...what's your hair type?

I'm very interested in the gel and the conditioner! So you would recommend those two most of all? Is the deep conditioner worth the price?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not natural.

The Deep Treatment is off the hook!!! I agree with your ratings, the botanical boost is just ok, I haven't used the water works, but the curl quencher line and that deep treatment are definitely quality products.

The deep treatment IS expensive, but it is also some really good stuff!!!

I love it too. I have a ton of it in the closet. I stopped using it because some one on another board told me to stop using it.

I just ordered the sample kit for 15.00/21.00 with shipping. I can't wait to trry it!

Re: Review: Ouidad Rocks!

*crying* Stop telling me about gooodiesssssssss!!

I will not buy! I will not buy! I am strong! I will not buy!!

...for at least 3 more weeks....
smile.gif

Back