Revelation! for me anwyay. I just finished reading SistaSlick's regimen

cocoagirl

Articles. She is talking about the different options to choose from for moisturizing/protein conditioners as well as leave ins. And I saw that the two products that I use for daily hair moisture (Elasta QP mango butter and Profectiv Break free) she has listed under PROTEIN leave ins. She also dicusses cones, which I am familiar with as far as pro’s and con’s but it just re”hit” me that the Elasta has cones in it and also the Alter Ego energizing conditioner that I also use as a leave in sometimes has a lot of cones in it. I am wondering if all of this had lead to why my hair is so dry, especially at the ends? Because I am just coating and recoating my hair everyday with cones and protein instead of moisture?
I do read labels before I buy products but admit to not knowing what half of the stuff means, I pretty much look for water as the first ingredients and usually think the product is “good to go” if it is, but an now thinking I need to revamp all of my products so that I am truly using a moisturizing product when I want to moisturize and a protein product when I want protein.

Questions:

Has anyone had to revamp their whole hair care product line because cones or protein based products were building up on there hair?
And is there an ingredient list somewhere that tells what the commonly used ingredients “mean”.?
Also for those that use Elasta and Profectiv, are the protein ingredients in there enough so it doesn’t really moisturize the hair properly?
What are you now using that is truly moisturizing for conditioners as well as leave ins? (i.e no protein, little cone)

I am in the process of reading all of the Conditioner recommendation threads but when I look up the ingredient list, they either have too many cones or too many heavy oils..I am in confusion mode a gain…It sucks that I have to find some new products now…
Any suggs or help appreciated!!!!!:)

sunbubbles

Bumpity bump bump! I wanna know more too! What's some good JUST moisturizers for natural hair? I started using aloe vera gel mixed with glycerin ( which is the BOMB DIGGITY) but I also heard that aloe vera has protein.

Odd One

the QP mango butter is proteeeeiin????.. dang

I would like to get answers too.. but i remember a popular poster saying that its good for a moisturizer to have a little protein in it because the protein helps retain moisture

cocoagirl

the QP mango butter is proteeeeiin????.. dang

I would like to get answers too.. but i remember a popular poster saying that its good for a moisturizer to have a little protein in it because the protein helps retain moisture

Hmm I just don't know in what ratio protein,cones etc. are good. I'm sure a little doesn't hurt, now I am trying to figure out in what way to use my Elasta so it benefits my hair, and looking out for a new product to replace it.

simplyhair

I too have notice daily moisturizers (creams or liquidy) I recently bought had cones that made my hair sticky...especially at the ends. In fact, it was the Profectiv (pink jar) & QP Recovery. I had to return them to Sally's.

Now, I'm back to BB Oil Moisturizer and NTM Silk Touch Leave in. With a little bit of oil to seal them. I don't remember if the NTM Silk Touch has cones though. The BB does not have any cones but it does have mineral oil. Of the two evils, I'd rather have the mineral oil than the cones.

I noticed a few broken hairs I'm sure from not having a good balance of moisture and protein. My goal is to balance both on a daily basis. I'm currently doing a test on my hair at night this week.

I am taking Rosewater mixed with a dab of Aphogee Leave in & a dab of Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin in a small spray bottle from Sally's. My hair is split into sections cuz I wear two buns throughout the day. I lightly mist the hair from the top to the ends...lil' more on the ends not real wet though. Then I sealed (lightly) with Kemi Oyl, then very lightly with Vitapointe (took very tiny dabs/scrapes of the Vitapointe).

This morning, I took down the buns to check and I had very nice & moist (not greasy) hair. No sticky ends and no broken hairs when I manipulated...you know, just trying to feel my hair. I did not moisturize this morning. Just bunned my hair again.

I usually don't add extra "oil" type products after I seal but I wanted to try Chicoro's seal method. I think she says to use an emulsifying product at the end of the process OVER the oil. Hopefully, the Vitapointe would be considered "emulsifying".

Why did I use the two Aphogee products? Well, because, I really like how my hair felt when I used them together as leave in's (from Ateyaa & Traycee). Super soft and strong in my air dried hair. So, I felt like a light touch of protein in rosewater (supposedly moisturizing) would be a good fit/combination.

So, for me, I am too watching the cones in my DAILY products. But I feel like I need or actually like cones in my conditioners (ORS Replenishing Conditioner old formulation though). I do not like the way my hair feels when I wash out a conditioner that did not have cones.

HTH

Last edited:

simplyhair

For me, I consider myself a QP girl. I so wanted to like the QP Mango but the protein was too much...and it was SO thick. I don't know why it works for some and not others.

I tried the Profectiv Healthy Ends. I saw it in Tee's album and she gave it a thumbs up. Her ends look really healthy. But when I tried it...it just didn't work.

cocoagirl

I too have notice daily moisturizers (creams or liquidy)
Now, I'm back to BB Oil Moisturizer and NTM Silk Touch Leave in. With a little bit of oil to seal them. I don't remember if the NTM Silk Touch has cones though. The BB does not have any cones but it does have mineral oil. Of the two evils, I'd rather have the mineral oil than the cones.

I noticed a few broken hairs I'm sure from not having a good balance of moisture and protein. My goal is to balance both on a daily basis. I'm currently doing a test on my hair at night this week.

I am taking Rosewater mixed with a dab of Aphogee Leave in & a dab of Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin in a small spray bottle from Sally's. My hair is split into sections cuz I wear two buns throughout the day. I lightly mist the hair from the top to the ends...lil' more on the ends not real wet though. Then I sealed (lightly) with Kemi Oyl, then very lightly with Vitapointe (took very tiny dabs/scrapes of the Vitapointe).

HTH

Yeah I find my hair doesn't like mineral oil, couldn't use that Keracare Humecto for nothing...Well for now I am sticking with AO HSR condish and I have a dominican leave in, Aceite de Olive' that seems to be ok and only has like 7 ingredients so those should do for now, although either can be replaced without hesitation...! One day I will have my holy grails and this continuous searching will be over...well...until something to die for is released, lol

*closer*2*my*dreams*

I am curious too...as far as a moisturizer, I make my own. I have a liquid spray & a solid that I use depending on what I do to my hair.

The liquid spray is a mix of glycerin, honeyquat, silk amino acids, and water.

The solid is pure unrefined shea butter mixed with glycerin, honeyquat, silk amino acids, & water.

I love it!! My hair is always soft and moisturized and a little fluffy too!!

I will caution that if you decide to use it, make a mixture that won't leave the "sticky" feeling that glycerin & honeyquat can leave.