Results Of 23 And Me Hair Analysis

almond eyes

Dear Ladies,

Two years ago, I did a DNA test for my mother. It wasn't to detect other races it was actually to pinpoint where in Africa did my mothers people originate from. My mother is African but originally not from the country she was born (I know Africa is not a country just for the sake of privacy). So, I wanted to see what her ancestral origins were. We always suspected and knew it was more East Africa rather than West Africa where she hails.

Recently, 23 and Me was allowed to conduct further tests on the DNA samples to detect medical issues and gene traits.

So, all my life my mother and I have battled over hair. My hair was always dense, fine, and a mix of tight and small curls. My mother always thought we had the same hair. My mother could do just about anything with her hair. Mum could put gel and her hair would turn to waves and she could straighten her hair with a pressing comb and the press could last for up to three weeks, she could comb it everyday with no issues. She always treated my hair like her hair and when she did my hair would always have major issues. We fought about it she would say my hair was the real African hair so you just need to be more disciplined. Years later after discovering the hair care forum and I realized my hair was fine and my mother replied, 'rubbish'

Well the 23 and Me tests ran some tests one of them on genetic traits in a section called hair analysis (by the way, they determined the genetic traits that they tested on and the plan to expand what other medical and genetic issues they can find within the DNA samples they also showed for sickle cell trait etc etc).

My mother's hair analysis showed the following: 1% very tight curls, 44% slightly wavy, 17% wavy and 31% straight hair. The other percentages were for big and small curls. Clearly if most of your hair is slightly wavy and wavy you will get waves but if you know that most of your hair has tight curls you will not bother trying to force your hair into styles or try to use products that just don't work in the same way.

For me it was finally the end of the debate with my mother that all Afro textured hair is the same and that she has a different grain of hair than I do. I haven't done the tests for my DNA profile yet but it is helpful in knowing that our hair isn't all one grade of hair and it can be helpful for naturals and the products and styles they choose. Like my hair will never get slick back into waves like my mother if I had known this the amount of money I would have saved on gels. And it is interesting that we can have up to six different types of hair grains. Now if someone is able to make a business analyzing this for black women so that they can better make a regiment that will make money. Knowing percentages of what grains of hair is on your head is better than this type system.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:
But surely by looking at a strand of hair you can tell whether it is curly, wavy, kinky or straight? I don't get this.

Back