Resistant hair

mirrormirror

Hi everyone
Im thinking my hair could be now resistant. Because Ive been getting alot of comments about my hair being strong, and that my hair is not easy to penetrate. I get a no-lye relaxer about every 4 months. I havent used any form of heat appliances going on about 2 years now(except for the hood dryer). It just seems that no matter what shampoos or conditioner's I use I dont see a significant difference. Its not good or bad, my hair just seems the same. I was reading Shamboosie's book and he defined Resistant hair, and it seems like me.

Resistant hair
Hair that is very difficult to perm, chemically relax or permanently color is called resistant. It means that the cutical layer of the hair is very strong, and lies too flat and tightly against the hair shaft to allow moisture to enter. Many times the hair must be pre-softened to get the cuticle layer of he hair to open. This is also what what will happen chemically when you use the no-lye relaxer. It will cause the hair to resist everything- conditioners, shampoo, water and even another relaxer.

....just wanted to share that.

Allandra

Re: Ressitant hair

Since your hair is resistant, do you have a difficult time keeping it moisturized? Do you experience breakage?

My hair is strong, but it does a good job at holding moisture, and I don't have any breakage.

JenJen2721

So Mirrormirror,
Will you be switching to a lye relaxer? Also, what does he mean by this?

"Many times the hair must be pre-softened to get the cuticle layer of he hair to open."???

I don't understand what pre-softened means???

mirrormirror

[ QUOTE ]
Since your hair is resistant, do you have a difficult time keeping it moisturized? Do you experience breakage?

My hair is strong, but it does a good job at holding moisture, and I don't have any breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I never experience breakage, and my hair doesn't have a problem maintaining moisture and actually too much moisture makes my hair swell. I guess because I like to try different shampoos/conditioners I am always looking for a dramatice difference in my hair. Everyone's been telling me that I have normal hair.

mirrormirror

[ QUOTE ]
So Mirrormirror,
Will you be switching to a lye relaxer? Also, what does he mean by this?

"Many times the hair must be pre-softened to get the cuticle layer of he hair to open."???

I don't understand what pre-softened means???

[/ QUOTE ]

......I have been thinking of switching to lye. But because I havent had any problems with no-lye as far a health and grwoth and havent experience lye, Im nervous.

Im thinking pre-softened means to hot oil the hair.

Stormy

No lye relaxers tend to cause a calcium build up on the hair and this makes the hair more resistant and cause it to swell when wet. I know because this happened to my daughter's hair when a former stylist used no lye relaxers on her hair all of the time. I have since stopped taking her to a hair stylist and started doing her hair myself with lye relaxers. Her hair is doing much better now.