REMOVE PERMANENT COLOR?

soslychic

I was in sally's yesterday and saw a product that said that it can instantly remove permanent hair color. What's up with that?
And if it can't do that, can it at least remove semi permanent?

Cindy70

You don't want to use a permanent color remover if you're only trying to wash out a semi-perm color. The permanent color remover will actually strip the color from your hair. Sally's does sell a bottle of semi-permanent color remover that they sell for $9.

I've found that dandruff shampoo works really well when I want to get rid of a semi-perm color. My favorite to use is the Queen Helene dandruff shampoo.

AFashionSlave

I agree. I am not a fan of color removers. Color removers are very drying and some contain heavy detergents. Clarifying Shampoos work well also to help remove semi-perm color. In the past my favorite was Paul Mitchell Tea Tree when I wanted to remove my semi or temp perm color.

What are you trying to achieve?
Are you trying to go back to your original hair color?
What color are you trying to change to?
What color is your dyed hair?

soslychic

Thanks. But does that product actually have the capacity of removing permanent color? I
thought nothing could do that?

Cindy70

[ QUOTE ]
But does that product actually have the capacity of removing permanent color?

[/ QUOTE ]

soslychic, if you're talking about the permanent color remover, yes, according to the label this product will remove permanent hair color.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But does that product actually have the capacity of removing permanent color?

[/ QUOTE ]

soslychic, if you're talking about the permanent color remover, yes, according to the label this product will remove permanent hair color.

[/ QUOTE ]

They will remove the color that is deposited but color removers will not remove the color left over from the bleaching process. For example if you bleached your hair blonde + used a red perm color on top of the bleached blonde hair. Color remover will remove the red but not the blonde. Color removers can't change your lifted hair color back to normal. They can only remove deposited color.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, with a permanent color can you get a lighter color without lifting?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are natural:
You can if you go darker in color & if you use a perm color that has no bleach or lifting agents in it :for example (Bigen or Jerome Russell). If you want to go lighter than your natural hair color you have to use color that will lift or lighten your natural hair color. If you do not lift - the color will barely show up on your dark hair. Almost all store-bought box color contains some kind of lifting agent in it like peroxide or bleach (a very strong peroxide).

If you are relaxed:
You may be able to use semi-perm color & get results that are similar to using a perm color. Because relaxers remove protein and break down hair semi-perm color may penetrate the same way a perm color would. You may not have to lift the same way you would if you are natural. When I used to relax; my hair color became a dark brown color. Now that I am natural my hair looks almost jet black in color. I do not recommend lifting the color of relaxed hair, but I never colored my hair when it was relaxed. Maybe there is someone here who relaxes & uses permanent color because I can't help you in the colored/relaxed hair department.

Crystal

I used that permenant color remover before. In the yellow box right? I had a hair color disaster and used it to remove the color but it didn't do like I thought I thought it was gonna return me to my natural color but it turned all my hair to this funky auburn color... and then I dyed immediately after that. Now this was at a time when I didn't know how to take care of my hair and did what ever to it. I don't think I'd do it again now unless it was an extreme emergency. But I don't recall my hair falling out or anythhing.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
Question: Does anyone know what a booster is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Color Boosters (AKA Color Kickers) are a special protein liquid that is added to the hair before you color. It improves the hair texture and gives your hair extreme shine. Color boosters force your hair reflect light therefore making your color look a lot more vibrant & intense.

Karonica

Thanks.

The last time I got my hair dyed, the lady told me that I needed a booster in order to get the color to lighten and that not everyone needs a booster. What was that all about? I had a regular bottle of permanent Miss Clairol. She mixed it in with the haircolor and applied it at one time.

Cindy70

The Textures and Tones permanent hair color comes with a color booster that you mix with the hair color.

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
The Textures and Tones permanent hair color comes with a color booster that you mix with the hair color.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting. It sounds easier than adding it to hair before you color. I know that feria has a line with a color booster inside. I wonder if you add it before or during the color process.

I got a color kicker once before in a salon. He added on the kicker before he colored my hair.

Karonica

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that with all the colors, or just the light ones? I know Honey Blonde had a booster, cuz I used it for my mother's hair.

Cindy70

I'm not sure if the color booster comes in all shades. It's been a while since I used a dark permanent color. I used one of the blonde shades the last time when I highlighted my hair.

I BLEACH MY HAIR ALLTHE TIME A BOOSTER IS GENERALLY BLEACH BECAUSE IF YOUR HAIR IS DARK BROWN OR BLACK AND YOU WANT TO GO MORE THAN 4 LEVELS ABOVE YOUR NATURAL COLOR YOU HAVE TO USE BLEACH RATHER THAN SAY JUST A REGULAR BOX BLONDE WITH PEROXIDE THAT WILL ONLY GIVE YOU THAT ORANGEY COLOR THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE TO USE A BOOSTER WHICH IS REALLY NOTHING BUT BLEACH WHICH CAN COME IN POWDER OR LIQUID HOWEVER BE MINDFUL ANY BLEACH ON RELAXED HAIR HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE VERY HARMFUL YOU CAN BUY FROM SALLY'S PROTIEN FILLERS WHICH YOU MIX IN THE BLEACH WHICH HELP TO REPLACE THE PROTIENS WHICH ARE REMOVED WITH THE HARSH BLEACHING PROCESS HOWEVER THIS IS A VERY POTENTIALLY DAMAGING PROCESS ON RELAXED HAIR YOU HAVE TO CONDITION !CONDITION !CONDITION! DEEP AND LEAVE IN'S HOPE THIS HELPS

ACTUALLY I'M NOT SURE BUT I THINK IT IS MORE NATURAL THAN RELAXED LET ME EXPLAIN SINCE I USE BLEACH ON MY HAIR I USE A RELAXER CALLED A BODIPHIER WICH IS SUPPOSED TO BE SOMEWHAT NATURAL AS THE MAIN INGREDIENT IS NOT LYE I SWITCHED TO THIS BECAUSE IT ALLOWS YOU TO CONTROL HOW STRAIGHT YOU WANT YOUR HAIR SND I DON'T STRESS AS MUCH ABOUT THE BLEACHING WITH THE PERM BECAUSE WHEN YOU WASH YOUR HAIR IT LOOKS NATURAL BUT WHEN BLOWED OR WRAPPED WITH HEAT IT IS STRAIGHT HTH JB

AFashionSlave

[ QUOTE ]
I BLEACH MY HAIR ALLTHE TIME A BOOSTER IS GENERALLY BLEACH BECAUSE IF YOUR HAIR IS DARK BROWN OR BLACK AND YOU WANT TO GO MORE THAN 4 LEVELS ABOVE YOUR NATURAL COLOR YOU HAVE TO USE BLEACH RATHER THAN SAY JUST A REGULAR BOX BLONDE WITH PEROXIDE THAT WILL ONLY GIVE YOU THAT ORANGEY COLOR THAT IS WHY YOU HAVE TO USE A BOOSTER WHICH IS REALLY NOTHING BUT BLEACH WHICH CAN COME IN POWDER OR LIQUID HOWEVER BE MINDFUL ANY BLEACH ON RELAXED HAIR HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE VERY HARMFUL YOU CAN BUY FROM SALLY'S PROTIEN FILLERS WHICH YOU MIX IN THE BLEACH WHICH HELP TO REPLACE THE PROTIENS WHICH ARE REMOVED WITH THE HARSH BLEACHING PROCESS HOWEVER THIS IS A VERY POTENTIALLY DAMAGING PROCESS ON RELAXED HAIR YOU HAVE TO CONDITION !CONDITION !CONDITION! DEEP AND LEAVE IN'S HOPE THIS HELPS

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe at home boosters are different than professional salon quality boosters. I have only used a booster in the salon. My colorist told me that it was protein. I color my hair at home all of the time but I have never bleached my hair at home.
I did a quick search on the topic and the only three links I found say that color boosters are protein.

http://www.bhbbeauty.com/description.shtml
http://www.tecnahaircare.it/booster_eng.html
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4266/color.html

The last time I had my hair professionally colored with booster and I loved the way it looked. I would love to recreate the look at home by using a booster myself, but I won't do it if boosters if they are indeed bleach.

@janisloren,
Thanks a lot for the info. What kind of booster do you use? I would love to try an at home booster but now you've got me scared. I don't want to put bleach in my napps.

diamondlady

I'm afraid of color. I had a real color disaster with bleach. I knew it was damaging but I was not prepared for losing all the bleached hair and starting all over growing my hair. Fortunately, it broke off gradually but eventually it broke and nothing I tried seem to save it. That was in 2001. It's growing back but I'm totally babying my hair and I'll always be careful with my hair from now on.

gvsugirl

I applied a semi perm color a few months ago and it never washed out. now its all pourous and dry like a sponge
and nothing I use will make my strands smooth again

hi , by booster i mean bleach if you read the ingredients you will see that most boosters are bleach they may call them something different but they are really bleach some are formulated with relaxed hair in mind but imho ist best to bleach on natural hair as bleaching and relaxing is a hit or miss type of things it may work and no problem or you may be like in the tina turner movie when all annie mae's hair washed down the sink and everyone was lookin crazy ( the stylist i mean)

don't give up you just have to read like i did peroxide isn't bleach it will lighten your hair but if your hair is dark it will only get to the orangey stage or the reddish brown stage if you read a bottle of developer such as 20.30 or 40 they are a type of peroxide and to lighten your hair above the orangey stage yei will need to add bleach like complements gel lightener which is a gel or clairol kaliedacolors which is a powdered bleach in conjunction with the developer(peroxide) hth jb