Relaxed who were natural, what gives?

secretrose

Relaxed-->Natural-->Relaxed again, what gives?

Are there any relaxed-->natural-->relaxed again heads who acheived length when natural and then relaxed? If so, what were your challenges/decision that prompted you to be relaxed again? Do you regret your decision and do you think you will go natural again?

disclaimer: I'm not a natural nazi.

Last edited:

sareca

My mother has never had a touch-up. She'd get a relaxer let it grow out completely then get another one. When I was in college I got my first relaxer then followed the only example I knew... I let it grow out and got another one a few years later. :ohwell: About 3 months after joining LHCF I did my first touch-up (2005). I still do 4-12 months stretches tho. If at the end of one of those I decide to chop off the relax ends (like I usually did) then I'll be natural again. Natural ain't nothing but a hairdo. I change it when the mood strikes me.

ETA: I probably won't go back to natural until the natural nazi phase dies down. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

secretrose

My mother has never had a touch-up. She'd get a relaxer let it grow out completely then get another one. When I was in college I got my first relaxer then followed the only example I knew... I let it grow out and got another one a few years later. :ohwell: About 3 months after joining LHCF I did my first touch-up (2005). I still do 4-12 months stretches tho. If at the end of one of those I decide to chop off the relax ends (like I usually did) then I'll be natural again. Natural ain't nothing but a hairdo. I change it when the mood strikes me.

ETA: I probably won't go back to natural until the natural nazi phase dies down. :rolleyes:

I know right :lachen:, I come on the boards and feel like an outsider now. Everyone and their mama is going natural. Literally, my mom is going natural :eek: and she knows nothing about this board.

secretrose

I want to hear from those who were natural and decided relaxed was better for them. Then, maybe we can get an unbiased opinion from ppl who had the experience of both.

Evazhair

Re: Relaxed-->Natural-->Relaxed again, what gives?

Are there any relaxed-->natural-->relaxed again heads who acheived length when natural and then relaxed? If so, what were your challenges/decision that prompted you to be relaxed again?

In a nutshell, tired of dealing with the limited styles/shrinkage of midback length natural hair. I wanted to wear my hair straight, without all of the time that a biweekly press and curl with reversion issues/maintainance in between requires.

Do you regret your decision and do you think you will go natural again?

Nope. No regrets at all. This is the first relaxer in my life that my hair has consistently done well. I know what I am doing now. I know eventually I will grow out the relaxer but it will be a long time from now. No more BCs. Thanks to LHCF I even know how to successfully transition. Right now I am loving every minute of the relaxed life.

Empress Yahudah

I was natural then relaxed then natural now relaxed again.
My reasons were because of sheer change and boredom.
At some time in my life I wanted to wear my hair natural more so wash n go's and straighten only sometimes...
in other times of my life I wanted to wear my hair straight almost all the time more so and do roller sets silk wraps, and so on.
Ive been relaxed this go round about 2 years now
Who knows how i'll feel down the road. I like both ways

Country gal

I wasn't aware we had natural nazis on the board. I can show you some real natural nazis on another site.

I was relaxed and have been natural for 4 years. I love being natural. I love wearing my hair straight too. It has been challenging getting use to straight hair and trying to work out. I can completely relate to the reversion issues with pressed hair. It seems everyone loves straight hair on me. I love having natural hair and havign the option of wearing it straight or kinky.

This year I have been committed to gettin in shape. I have been working out like crazy in the gym. My hair is looking at hot mess. I have to go back to my wash and gos and will have to limit my straight styles. Getting Perm would seem like a good alternative. I just don't want to deal with the chemicals. I am interested in seeing the feedback from the customers.

PanamasOwn

I think what I may do once my hair reaches about BSL (stretched) is tex-lax it...so that I can have the versatility of both...I dont want to have to worry about burning my texture straight, or working out and reverting...I still wants my curls, just with more length...

secretrose

Thanks ladies! Keep the comments coming. I know there are others out there.

I love the natural look though - all this talk is slightly making me want to go natural in a small way. 6 of my friends are natural 4B's. 2 don't have locks and they spend and inordinate amount of time twisting and rebraiding and detangling ect! My gosh all that work. I cowash 3 times a week and spend so little time compared to them and still have "that girl look" on a daily basis. I'm just trying to see the postives and negatives.

Traycee

I had braids for about two years and had bsl hair and cut my relaxed hair off...I was natural ...when I first cut my hair was maybe a inch or two past shoulder length...

I was natural for about a year...I went to the hair shop every week and I was happy...Things went seriously wrong when money got tight and I could no to my stylist any longer .....I did not know how to take care of it ...I couldn't get my hair as straight as my stylist....It started breaking. (Wish I knew about LCHF)...

So I relaxed and I'm happy!!!

Fine 4s

I think what I may do once my hair reaches about BSL (stretched) is tex-lax it...so that I can have the versatility of both...I dont want to have to worry about burning my texture straight, or working out and reverting...I still wants my curls, just with more length...

For the first time ever since 1994 I've been thinking about perming or specifically texlaxing. IF I ever do such a thing, I would most likely leave the chemical on for less than 5 mins. I was thinking maybe more than one person would apply the product in my hair to go faster. But first, my understanding of textlaxing is basically, underprocessing or leaving the perm in for a VERY little amount of time. Am I correct? Before I would textlax, I would have to grow out all of my heat damaged ends. As of now I can claim BSL but with the stringy, heat damage ends and knowing some sections are unhealthy annoy the heck out of me!

secretrose

I had braids for about two years and had bsl hair and cut my relaxed hair off...I was natural ...when I first cut my hair was maybe a inch or two past shoulder length...

I was natural for about a year...I went to the hair shop every week and I was happy...Things went seriously wrong when money got tight and I could no to my stylist any longer .....I did not know how to take care of it ...I couldn't get my hair as straight as my stylist....It started breaking. (Wish I knew about LCHF)...

So I relaxed and I'm happy!!!

well that's understandable. But now that you do know how, would you consider it again?

sunshinebeautiful

I was relaxed, then natural from 2004-2006, and now relaxed again.

Honestly, I was tired of dealing with my hair natural. I just wanted my hair to lay down instead of being "out to there" all the time. I wore my hair in three styles: twists, when I could afford to have a professional do them for me (mine didn't come out looking nearly as cute), braidouts, and twistouts. Once I tried to press my hair, but managed to burn a section completely straight. :rolleyes:

My reason for going natural was because of the breakage and damage when I had a (it was overprocessed AND colored after looking back now) relaxer. I had learned so much from the hair boards that I decided to take the plunge again, knowing better how to care for my hair.

I'm totally happy with my decision. I understand some of the "natural hysteria" - for a lot of Black women, they don't even remember what their natural hair texture looks like, that's how long they've been relaxing. It was freeing to NOT have to go to a salon - a habit I've carried over because I still don't go to the salon now that I'm relaxed again either. :look: I have no patience to be sitting up in someone's salon half the day anymore.

ETA: If I were to go natural again, I would definitely lock my hair. :yep:

Last edited:

secretrose

I was relaxed, then natural from 2004-2006, and now relaxed again.

Honestly, I was tired of dealing with my hair natural. I just wanted my hair to lay down instead of being "out to there" all the time. I wore my hair in three styles: twists, when I could afford to have a professional do them for me (mine didn't come out looking nearly as cute), braidouts, and twistouts. Once I tried to press my hair, but managed to burn a section completely straight. :rolleyes:

My reason for going natural was because of the breakage and damage when I had a (it was overprocessed AND colored after looking back now) relaxer. I had learned so much from the hair boards that I decided to take the plunge again, knowing better how to care for my hair.

I'm totally happy with my decision. I understand some of the "natural hysteria" - for a lot of Black women, they don't even remember what their natural hair texture looks like, that's how long they've been relaxing. It was freeing to NOT have to go to a salon - a habit I've carried over because I still don't go to the salon now that I'm relaxed again either. :look: I have no patience to be sitting up in someone's salon half the day anymore.

ETA: If I were to go natural again, I would definitely lock my hair. :yep:

Thanks for this! Also about the locking, i think this would be my route especially sisterlocks :) YOU can do it on relaxed hair. How amazing is that!

Traycee

well that's understandable. But now that you do know how, would you consider it again?

Deep question......Probably not...I wore braids to transition the last time....and I don't ever want to wear braids that long again...I missed my hair....I'm too hair obsessed to do the big chop and my husband HATES short hair...I have a lot of excuses don't I .... I tried to stretch this last time and it didn't go well I only made 9 weeks...I'm scared to transition.

secretrose

Deep question......Probably not...I wore braids to transition the last time....and I don't ever want to wear braids that long again...I missed my hair....I'm too hair obsessed to do the big chop and my husband HATES short hair...I have a lot of excuses don't I .... I tried to stretch this last time and it didn't go well I only made 9 weeks...I'm scared to transition.

Thank you! i think those who are on the fence really need to read these responses. Being natural is not all a fairy tale of perfectly shaped coils, there are hardships whichever route you choose!

pearcey

8/3/03-3/31/06 natural; 3/31/06-6/24/06 relaxed; 6/24/06- 10/20-07 natural;
10/20/07-??? relaxed

I go back and forth because I am a very black or white person, no grey. Right now, I am missing my naps, but have been threatened by many at my work, that if I cut my 'long hair' again, that they 'wished they had' I will be in trouble.

I love my napps when they are no more than 6 inches, I love feeling them, caressing the coils, etc. BUT, when I desire a change, I can't hot comb, I don't like all the heat, so I relax. But alas, the last ten years, relaxers that used to relax bone strait, my hair laughs at, ALL OF 'EM. SO I am left with a very curly texture which makes 'straight' styles hard to comb, almost as if I were trying to comb through dry natural hair.

So that's where I am at now. It is relaxed, but not straight, so I can't do it myself. I love doing my own hair. But my stylist is excellent and very caring and hooks it up. Karen, owner of Dove's Dynasty. I promised my man and those around me, this time for the first time, if I do opt to go natural again, I will transition, not chop and do a baldie like I ALWAYS do, esp. since I have gained a significant amount of weight.

Right now it is just hair. Back in '03 I was very fanatical about my natural hair, but when I felt I was not being so forthright and testifying with fervor about the risen Jesus Christ, I had to back up off the hair. Right now it is just hair, but I miss my short natural. I am older now, at 33, I think I will just grow it out, since the relaxers don't get it straight, where it can be curly sometimes, and hot combed the others. It takes 2 years for shoulder length, 3 years for bra strap. I have done it so much, I have it down. Thanks for listening to me ramble, I love hurr, and talking about hair, I have stalked so long, and my paypal was so screwy, I finally stopped procrastinating and called the paypal office and got it straight. Thanks for listening, you can check out my journey starting at www.fotki.com/pearce1974. Peace and love!!!!!!

Last edited:

kblc06

Not to sound like the natural nazi, but knowing what I know about my hair, from both a healthy relaxed & natural perspective, I'm not going to say never, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT I will ever perm my hair again. There's just too much I can do with it-I'm like a kid in a candy store every time I see a new style or accessory-because I know that my hair is capable of doing just about everything under the sun in its natural state:grin: without extreme amounts of manipulation. And besides, even when I was relaxed, I always did braidouts & twistouts, etc in an attempt duplicate what I already had.

Or it could be the successive good hair weeks that I've had recently that's making me think this way :lachen:. My hair is probably going to decide to get stupid since I've made this post :yawn:

secretrose

Not to sound like the natural nazi, but knowing what I know about my hair, from both a healthy relaxed & natural perspective, I'm not going to say never, but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT I will ever perm my hair again. There's just too much I can do with it-I'm like a kid in a candy store every time I see a new style or accessory-because I know that my hair is capable of doing just about everything under the sun in its natural state:grin: without extreme amounts of manipulation. And besides, even when I was relaxed, I always did braidouts & twistouts, etc in an attempt duplicate what I already had.

Or it could be the successive good hair weeks that I've had recently that's making me think this way :lachen:. My hair is probably going to decide to get stupid since I've made this post :yawn:

interesting post! Well for me, I had natural hair until i was 12 or 13 and I haven't had any experience with it since ecxcept during long stretches. I don't relax bone strait and I am able to do straw sets to get a natural look from time to time. It's great. PPL thought I was still natural when I was wearing an old straw set.

locabouthair

secretrose I love your hair!

to answer the question, I was relaxed and transitioned because my hair kept breaking off. Was natural for four years and I had to keep dependign on people to braid my hair and when it wasn't braided, it was always in a scarf or hat, not very cute:ohwell: Plus I was going to grad school and I know I wouldnt have the time to be finding a braider or trying toi style my hair, so now I'm relaxed again.

This board inspired me to wear my hair natural and also inspired me to relax again.

Twisties

This is interesting question as I am in midst of changing my mind about chemicals and haircare. I have been natural for years because of sensitivity to chemicals and I learned to love my twists, coils etc. If I was not allergic, I would probably texlax.

Recently been having major time with my niece's hair and considered texturizing it to ease her tangles and pain. All of my sisters are successfully relaxed and growing (with tips I share with them from this board) so I know it can be done. Especially with the examples at this site. Right now I am GRATEFUL for that PRESSING COMB:yep:!. If your natural hair is tangling and causing more stress and issues....rethink some things-:look:. I will be lightly pressing my hair and hers every 2 weeks during this winter to see how it goes. I think it's helping both of us.

I recognize both sides of the angle now and just think chemicals and pressing combs are simply a hair management tools.

I hope I wasn't a nappy nazi, but could have been:perplexed.

Last edited:

Twisties

OT: Twisties, your neice's hair is absolutely divine.

This is a great thread, I am not alone :)

Thanks, I love it too, but the tangles, the tangles! I am hoping a light press will keep working. The piece in the back was lightly pressed. This picture was taken back in the summer after she had gone to the beach and had sand in her hair. That was last time I washed her hair completely loose and if God be with me, I won't have to do that no mo' for both our sakes:grin:.

SandySea

I was relaxed from the age of 10-17, then I wore braids for a year after my hair started breaking--many years before learning about C&G method. After that year my natural hair had grown to SL and my parents talked me into staying natural. Admittedly, I wore my hair pressed most of the time and in braids the other. Did this for 4 years until I let people convince me that I might as well relax if I was going to keep pressing. Never take advice from people who's hair is fried, died, and layed to the side :nono:. It's been a struggle ever since (5 yrs), and now my hair is falling out from overprocessing thanks to my over-zealous hairdresser. Now I'm considering going natural again. Even with weekly heat, back then my hair was healthy and I got compliments all the time. I'm now in braids, so I have time to think about it. If I do go natural again, I'll try to leave the heat alone. Nothing wrong with switching it up. Now as far as length goes, I've always stayed around SL because I'm scissor happy. So I can't really comment on acheiving length because I always get the itch to cut when I pass SL.

Twisties

wow, ur nieces hair is very nice :grin: . But I can just imagine the tangles on wash day. yikes :eek: !

Yes, pretty interesting if I don't wash it in braids. That is my technique now--ONLY WASH IN LOOSE BRAIDS....it gives us more control that way.

Love your hair too secretrose--looks nice and healthy.

secretrose

secretrose I love your hair!

to answer the question, I was relaxed and transitioned because my hair kept breaking off. Was natural for four years and I had to keep dependign on people to braid my hair and when it wasn't braided, it was always in a scarf or hat, not very cute:ohwell: Plus I was going to grad school and I know I wouldnt have the time to be finding a braider or trying toi style my hair, so now I'm relaxed again.

This board inspired me to wear my hair natural and also inspired me to relax again.

Thanks girl :) I feel you about finding a braider. I know how to braid but doing them twists on myself is gonna enventually give me arthritis! :lachen:

secretrose

Yes, pretty interesting if I don't wash it in braids. That is my technique now--ONLY WASH IN LOOSE BRAIDS....it gives us more control that way.

Love your hair too secretrose--looks nice and healthy.

Thank you :) It wasn't that way this time last year. Thanks LHCF

blue_flower

Are there any relaxed-->natural-->relaxed again heads who acheived length when natural and then relaxed? If so, what were your challenges/decision that prompted you to be relaxed again? Do you regret your decision and do you think you will go natural again?

disclaimer: I'm not a natural nazi.

I've been natural twice and the reason why I returned to relaxers is because of manageability. When my hair was short and natural, it was easy. But once my hair grew longer (and my hair is very thick) it became difficult and time consuming. I didn't care about having straight hairstyles; I just wanted doing my hair to be easier and less time comsuming. My hair is relaxed, not bone straight, and I still style my hair the same it was when it as natural. I don't know when I'll be natural again, but I have no problem stretching out my relaxers for 4 months or longer.

secretrose

I've been natural twice and the reason why I returned to relaxers is because of manageability. When my hair was short and natural, it was easy. But once my hair grew longer (and my hair is very thick) it became difficult and time consuming. I didn't care about having straight hairstyles; I just wanted doing my hair to be easier and less time comsuming. My hair is relaxed, not bone straight, and I still style my hair the same it was when it as natural. I don't know when I'll be natural again, but I have no problem stretching out my relaxers for 4 months or longer.

This is exactly my fear. Natural short hair seems like it would be a lot easier to manage. Longer hair (APL +), especially for those who can't really pull off a wash n go look seems like a lot of work to maintain a cute style.