RELAXED/TEXLAXED LADIES WHO HENNA: When do you henna before/after your relaxer?

Sunshine0801

Is it safe and effective to apply henna a week or two before a relaxer?

What about after a relaxer? Has anyone tried applying henna a week after they relax?

I want to apply henna and indigo to my hair around the same time that I texlax, and would prefer to apply it a week before I texlax, but am not sure if that would make the relaxer less effective, or reduce the color of the indigo.

TIA ladies!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I henna/indigo up to 2 weeks prior to my touch-up AND at least 1 week after.

I try not to combine chemical services, not even natural henna with anything except a reconstructor or deep condition.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I would err on the side of caution with same day service just the same. The only reason I would do that is I had to go to an important social event (like attending the Oscars) and my grays looked like Lily Munster and I didn't have a wig or couldn't wear a headband or hat! :laugh:

^^ Cute guy in your siggy!

MyAngelEyez~C~U

I would err on the side of caution with same day service just the same. The only reason I would do that is I had to go to an important social event (like attending the Oscars) and my grays looked like Lily Munster and I didn't have a wig or couldn't wear a headband or hat! :laugh:

^^ Cute guy in your siggy!

Thank you! That's my honey, Seon. :grin:

baddison

natural for good
I henna/indigo a few days to a week after I relax...I have done it a week prior as well.

Yup...:yep:...me too. I henna 2x's per month - WITHOUT FAIL. Every 2nd and 4th Friday. I stretch my relaxers 13-17 weeks. Sometimes the henna falls the week before the relaxer, sometimes the henna falls the week after the relaxer. Either way, it has done nothing but help keep the strength of my hair with absolutely no adverse affects whatsoever.:yep:

Sunshine0801

Thank you all for your helpful replies!

Have the ladies who henna days/a week or two before and after relaxing noticed any difference in how your hair responds? For example, is the color or straightness any different when you relax a week or two before versus a week or two after you relax?

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Thank you all for your helpful replies!

Have the ladies who henna days/a week or two before and after relaxing noticed any difference in how your hair responds? For example, is the color or straightness any different when you relax a week or two before versus a week or two after you relax?

I haven't paid that much attention and I always wear my hair in protective styles. It may be because I concentrate on whether or not my gray hairs are covered more than anything. But again, I haven't noticed any difference other than my hair feels and looks thicker especially with henna post-relaxer.

Aggie

I henna about 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after a relaxer. The week following a relaxer I would do a reconstructing protein treatment to rebuild the cuticles.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I wait about 2 Weeks to Henna After a Relaxer. One Week after Relaxing I will do a Protein Treatment and the Follow Week Apply Henna/Indigo.:yep:

bedazzled

I henna atleast a wk before my relaxer. Sometimes two weeks. I'd recommend treating henna like a hard core protein. Usually when I henna, my hair stops looking like I have a relaxer in it, and starts looking like I need a relaxer. By treating henna like a protein, I think it helps to make sure that your relaxer breaks the hair strands down all the way & the henna does not interfere with it (which happened to my friend and she came out texlaxed). Then I'll henna a week or maybe two after a relaxer.

Sunshine0801

Thanks ladies. :) So it sounds like I should be fine relaxing and then applying the henna and indigo a week or a week and a half after the relaxer. :yep:

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
After. The relaxer seems to lift the henna (the relaxer cream turns orange), if i do it before.

Aggie

Thanks ladies. :) So it sounds like I should be fine relaxing and then applying the henna and indigo a week or a week and a half after the relaxer. :yep:

Yes you can and as Nightingale said, you will see some color in the relaxer cream but don't fear. In my experience, that has happened but the color that was deposited deep within the cuticle remains there even after a several months, especially if you are a frequent henna user.

Henna is natural, so you can use it every 4-6 weeks if you wish. Some ladies use it even more frequently without encountering any problems. Make sure to deep condition afterwards to counteract any drying effect from the henna. Good luck.

*Muffin*

I give myself a two week grace period. I don't relax during the 2 weeks before or the two weeks after a relaxer, as a safeguard.

hokimomi

Ok Ladies....I am thisclose to going the texlax route....and my mom keeps bugging me about this henna thing.

I am trying to stay on topic so I hope this doesn't offend....does the henna HELP with the relaxer or VICE VERSA? I can understand how a previous poster said she treats it like a protein step...but besides that.....since I am coming from almost a year with NO relaxer, maybe I should henna first for additional strength!

Thanks to the OP for this thread....

baddison

natural for good
Glad this thread was bumped. I am a henna lover, indeed. Been henna'ing regularly since 2008. Wow, its gonna be 4 years this november that I've been henna'ing monthly. Needless to say, my head has DEFINITELY reached "henna-saturation". I love the strength that henna gives my hair. The color is absolutely gorgeous in the sun, or with just the perfect lighting. And I gotta tell y'all....for a 43-year-old, henna seems to be just what the doctor ordered in terms of keeping the gray away!! :lachen:

I henna the second Friday of every month. I've been using only NUPUR henna for the past almost-4 years. The combination of 100% henna, with other indian herbs makes my hair terrific. I only relax 3 times per year (every 4months) so the monthly henna treatment tends to fall on the Friday before the relaxer those three times. This has been working perfectly for me, for years now. My hair is stronger for my relaxer.

Love this thread. Keep 'em coming ladies.

caliscurls

Aggie baddison
baddison said:
Glad this thread was bumped. I am a henna lover, indeed. Been henna'ing regularly since 2008. Wow, its gonna be 4 years this november that I've been henna'ing monthly. Needless to say, my head has DEFINITELY reached "henna-saturation". I love the strength that henna gives my hair. The color is absolutely gorgeous in the sun, or with just the perfect lighting. And I gotta tell y'all....for a 43-year-old, henna seems to be just what the doctor ordered in terms of keeping the gray away!! :lachen:

I henna the second Friday of every month. I've been using only NUPUR henna for the past almost-4 years. The combination of 100% henna, with other indian herbs makes my hair terrific. I only relax 3 times per year (every 4months) so the monthly henna treatment tends to fall on the Friday before the relaxer those three times. This has been working perfectly for me, for years now. My hair is stronger for my relaxer.

Love this thread. Keep 'em coming ladies.

Are you able to relax straight with a week between the henna and the relaxer? I've been doing henna (nupur) followed by my relaxer 1 to 2 days later and end up texlaxed. The last time I was really trying to go straight and it wasn't even close. Also, what relaxer are you using? I'm using Linange Shea Butter and think that may be part of my challenge....just washed my henna out this morning and am now trying to decide what day to relax my roots and correct the length (which is making me nervous, I'm scratching BSL)

(aggie tagged you as well since you seem to be a pro at this :). My original texlax approach was based on the method you were doing). My texlax hair just doesn't look so great and I end up Bunning, straightening, or doing braid outs so I'm hoping that if I relax straight I can continue my regime but reduce my direct heat usage substantially and have better looking buns and braid outs

Last edited:

baddison

natural for good
caliscurls said:
Aggie baddison

Are you able to relax straight with a week between the henna and the relaxer? I've been doing henna (nupur) followed by my relaxer 1 to 2 days later and end up texlaxed. The last time I was really trying to go straight and it wasn't even close. Also, what relaxer are you using? I'm using Linange Shea Butter and think that may be part of my challenge....just washed my henna out this morning and am now trying to decide what day to relax my roots and correct the length (which is making me nervous, I'm scratching BSL)

(aggie tagged you as well since you seem to be a pro at this :). My original texlax approach was based on the method you were doing). My texlax hair just doesn't look so great and I end up Bunning, straightening, or doing braid outs so I'm hoping that if I relax straight I can continue my regime but reduce my direct heat usage substantially and have better looking buns and braid outs

Aggie....My goal is not to relax bone straight anyway so the answer is NO. Additionally, I use Mizani Butter Blends in Mild, and it keeps a bit of texture in my hair. My relaxer turns a bit orange too because of the henna. To be sure, you actually CAN relax straighter if that's your preference....it's not impossible, and there are ladies who do it. Perhaps you need a stronger relaxer, or perhaps you need to fine-tune your smoothing technique. But you can still get bone straight even if you henna regularly. Hope this helps

caliscurls

baddison said:
Aggie....My goal is not to relax bone straight anyway so the answer is NO. Additionally, I use Mizani Butter Blends in Mild, and it keeps a bit of texture in my hair. My relaxer turns a bit orange too because of the henna. To be sure, you actually CAN relax straighter if that's your preference....it's not impossible, and there are ladies who do it. Perhaps you need a stronger relaxer, or perhaps you need to fine-tune your smoothing technique. But you can still get bone straight even if you henna regularly. Hope this helps

Thank you baddison! Maybe you're right and I should just try something stronger. Now that you say it I'm remembering that before when I was relaxed it never got bone straight, even at the salon. A stronger solution will at least get me straighter than what I am now. HHJ!

Jewell

I too use the same relaxer, just had a virgin application, and love the texture that is left while damp, but it appears bone straight when rollerset and wrapped. I apply my henna alone about 1-2 wks after a TU

baddison

natural for good
I too use the same relaxer, just had a virgin application, and love the texture that is left while damp, but it appears bone straight when rollerset and wrapped. I apply my henna alone about 1-2 wks after a TU

Yup! Thats about right. When wet, we tend to see more wavy and curly hair with mild relaxers, but for styling purposes, you can still get a straight look without excessive heat. And the plus side is that with some texture still there, the hair is never too thin. This is the main reason why I only use mild relaxers....don't want bone-straight, thin hair for the first few weeks after.

Great points, Jewell !!:yep:

afroette

So wait can I henna my hair to get rid of grey without it messing with the texture of already relaxed hair?

baddison

natural for good
afroette said:
So wait can I henna my hair to get rid of grey without it messing with the texture of already relaxed hair?

Yes. Henna does not change the texture of relaxed hair. At first, greys may turn fiery-orange, but with a few more applications those greys will be a nice coppery-reddish-brown. For a darker henna, you may want to check out henna and indigo.