Relaxed ladies that grew their hair!

teysmith

Okay, so I am a newbie here and I am currently neck length. I am so excited about growing my hair long, strong healthy and beautiful! But with all this bad talk on here about relaxers is getting me discouraged! I am relaxed and dont plan on going any diffrent because I enjoy straight hair!
I do plan on stretching my relaxers. I'm thinking about going about 6 months before I get the next one, with the help of braids.
I will do anything for long hair and sometimes I just feel like chopping all of my hair off and starting over natural until I get to the desired length and then relaxing. But would that even make sense?
I would really like to hear from some relaxed ladies who grew their hair long and healthy!
How did you do it? please give me some Advice...

MariposaSexyGirl

Im relaxed. I need to update my siggy pic its a little longer now. There are plenty long relaxed heads on here. Do what you want to do with your hair. there is alot of info on here regarding relaxed hair.

SCarolinaGirl

I'm relaxed and just starting out but I just wanted to tell you that as long as you take care of your hair it doesn't matter if you are relaxed or natural... it will grow and you will retain length. You just have to learn what to do. Welcome and good luck!

ellehair

Welcome to the boards! I have not reached my goal or any where near my goal.. but research and begin with health 1st and the length will follow. I gained about 2 inches since I started in March, and for me thats huge! Goold luck and happy growing..

Soulberry

Baggying with a good moisterizer helped me a lot. I retained a lot of length this way and my ends are in good shape because of this. I try to baggy my hair 24/7 until I have somewhere nice to go then I let my hair down.

dachsies_rule!

Relaxed and on my first stretch (for 10 weeks)...getting close to MBL!

The key to maintaining length with relaxed hair is using very little heat (airdry, don't flat iron to much), protective styling, DC, moisture and protein balance and a good hair cover to sleep in (silk preferrably).

Happy Growing!:grin:

teysmith

WOW!! I'm amazed!! you ladies have lots of long beautiful hair!!! Thanks so much!!! I cant wait until mines get there!! and thanks for the advice!

teysmith

Baggying with a good moisterizer helped me a lot. I retained a lot of length this way and my ends are in good shape because of this. I try to baggy my hair 24/7 until I have somewhere nice to go then I let my hair down.

what does baggying the hair means?

baddison

natural for good
Relaxed head checking in, too!! I started out NOT relaxed, neck length. For me, the key to growth is maintaining a simple regimen that give my hair protein when needed, and moisture when needed. Also, I baby my ends, and treat them like glass slippers. They get extra special attention, bigger sips of whatever my head is currently drinking, they get baggied regularly. I always wear my hair with my ends protected. I am on a BSL mission, and wont stop 'til I get there. Always, Always, Always AIRDRY!!!

And most important...and often overlooked....PATIENCE. Hair grows - the end. I just need to be patient enough to wait for what's coming, and protect the length I currently have.

Welcome to your Journey!! :welcome: Happy Hair Growing!! :clapping:

hillytmj

I'm relaxed and I gained 5.5 inches my first year, moving me from APL to BSL (a life record for me). I am a devout rollersetter and I do the deep conditioners, protect my ends and moisturize/seal ends. You can do it!

Stella B.

This place is all about the hair! Natural, relaxed, texlaxed, it doesn't matter because you've come to the right place to learn about hair care. Welcome, and get ready to enjoy your journey! I started at ear length a year and a half ago, got a relaxer after I joined the board, and now I'm at shoulder length and learning how to stretch my relaxer long term. So whatever your hair dreams are, we're here for you!

msa

You can definitely meet your goals with relaxed hair. Part of the reason relaxers get a bad rap is because when used improperly they can cause huge setbacks. So, as long as you do your research you should be fine.

aquajoyice

When I started my journey I was relxing Bone straight. But now I Texlax, which means like leave it in for half of the recommended time. The main thing that I attributed to me growing my hair out is reducing the amount of heat that I use, washing more frequently, deep conditioning...although in the beginning I didin't and still retained length, and lots and lots of protective styling. I had my hair in buns and other protective styling for a long long time. About a year and I totally cut out the heat and my hair grew. Your in the right place because their are a lot of women on here with beatiful hair that relax.

sheedahp

Relaxed head checking in, too!! I started out NOT relaxed, neck length. For me, the key to growth is maintaining a simple regimen that give my hair protein when needed, and moisture when needed. Also, I baby my ends, and treat them like glass slippers. They get extra special attention, bigger sips of whatever my head is currently drinking, they get baggied regularly. I always wear my hair with my ends protected. I am on a BSL mission, and wont stop 'til I get there. Always, Always, Always AIRDRY!!!

And most important...and often overlooked....PATIENCE. Hair grows - the end. I just need to be patient enough to wait for what's coming, and protect the length I currently have.

Welcome to your Journey!! :welcome: Happy Hair Growing!! :clapping:
So no rollersetting?:sad:

SoOoNY

Im relaxed. I need to update my siggy pic its a little longer now. There are plenty long relaxed heads on here. Do what you want to do with your hair. there is alot of info on here regarding relaxed hair.

HEY MARI! Where you been all my life...lol

I'm relaxed and just starting out but I just wanted to tell you that as long as you take care of your hair it doesn't matter if you are relaxed or natural... it will grow and you will retain length. You just have to learn what to do. Welcome and good luck!

Great Progress!

-You could do it no matter what. it just take patience and dedication. i went natural and re-permed. It got my thickness and some length. I think it was the best thing I ever did

ajacks

I am texlaxed (prior to lhcf I was bone straight) and I have been growing my hair out the healthy way for the last 20 months. Switching to texlaxed has greatly reduced my breakage.

baddison

natural for good
So no rollersetting?:sad:

Hey sheedahp, I am currently in a few challenges, which call for little or no manipulation of my hair. For me, rollersetting is ALOTTA-LOTTA :lachen:manipulation, whereas, bunning & two-strand cornrows (flat-twist) is hardly any manipuation at all. It all boils down to what works for you.....even if it doesn't work for others, right??:grin:

This is my main protective style...I am maintaining and keeping ALL my growth and length with this daily style:

Attachments

• IMAGE_017.jpg
    IMAGE_017.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 121

BeautifulFlower

I am relaxed, I will remain relaxed. I started out a little below shoulder length. Relaxers arentnecessarily bad. Its the way its applied and the neglect after that causes damage.

Last edited:

FluffyRed

Welcome!
Relaxed hair can grow, but please know your hair type before taking any advice on products.

Finer hair has different needs than coarser hair.

This knowledge can save you from a setback.

HHG

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Relaxed hair definitely grows. The key for me would be stretching the relaxers to prevent overlapping. Overprocessed hair equals weak hair which leads to breakage.

Relaxed and while I always had long hair, I cut it into a bob after giving birth to my second son, so I'm growing it back to my normal length. Good luck and welcome!

jerseygurl

Not a new member
Hi and welcome. Relaxed head checking in also. Yes our hair can grow as long as we take care of it properly. I started last year from shoulder length and I'm now at brastrap.