Relaxed Ladies: If you don't protective style regularly...

spellinto

or at all, how do you do it? I am thinking of changing my routine from bunning almost ALL the time to enjoying my hair more often (but still retaining health & length!)

Questions
- what is your regular routine/regimen? products?
- do you protective style at all?
- how do you wear your hair in public? to bed?
- do you use heat/roller set regularly? if not, please explain! (not much of heat/roller set person here!)
- any other information:

Thank you!:grin:

I mostly wear braidouts if I'm wearing my hair out. I also do a semi PS. It's wear I do a braidout, pin the back up and wear the front curls out. For me, it's like the best of both worlds. Some PS and some out. When I wear my braidout, out in the front it shrinks up to about my CBL.

Hopefully some other ladies will chime in, cause I would like to know to:)

roller sets and not combing the curls out. just finger styling. i would usually leave my hair out for a day or two. years ago, i would get a rod or roller set and sleep pretty for a week.

roller sets and not combing the curls out. just finger styling. i would usually leave my hair out for a day or two. years ago, i would get a rod or roller set and sleep pretty for a week.

This is what I do regularly. I will oil my scalp and hair with grapeseed oil and sunflower seed oil the night before wash day. On those days, I will wear a bun other than that I wear it out. I rollerset most weeks and after 8 weeks I start to flat iron my roots until I relax again at 12 weeks. I use to wear braid out but they have become a no no for me, my ends get really dry after day two.

I didn't start my hhj until July 2012, so I am basically still feeling my way through. But I have never worn my hair in a bun or any protective style because I don't like how small and knotty looking my buns are. (I did buy some hair this weekend to add to it.) Plus, my profession prohibits me from wearing braids, plus they are bad on my hair. And a sew in is out of the question for me.

I have not used direct heat since July 2012. I only use heat (hooded dryer) to DC. I usually have roller sets (air dried), with an occasional braid/twist out or bantu knot out (also air dried). This has been a tremendous help (not using heat). My hair is doing much better than pre hhj. But I am anxious to see if there is a difference in wearing buns most of the time.

I roll my hair everynight, except when I do twist/braid or bantus, I will just braid, etc. everynight. My styles do not last more than one day.

Last edited:
Pony tail. Its not a bun but its better than wearing your hair straight down your back everyday getting caught on everything. And for added protection you could braid the pony, seal the ends and tuck them under with a rubberband.

Swype thinks weird and wierd are both correct

I dont PS never have...I always say Im going to but never do. My hair is out EVERYDAY! Whether its a wng or straight...it is always out and Ive still made to WL and on my way to HL. Now do I think I could have made it to WL sooner or with healthier hair if I PSed....probably. But its easier for me to just shake my hair out in the morning. I dont have have for anything else.

^^^ Same here. I almost never protective style. I sleep in a satin bonnet or scarf every night, either with my hair just slightly folded into it, down underneath it, or with 4 or five flexirods rods. I finger comb/hand fluff to help the curls look fresh longer. I moisturize and seal nightly with a liquid leave-in and evoo.

I dont PS never have...I always say Im going to but never do. My hair is out EVERYDAY! Whether its a wng or straight...it is always out and Ive still made to WL and on my way to HL. Now do I think I could have made it to WL sooner or with healthier hair if I PSed....probably. But its easier for me to just shake my hair out in the morning. I dont have have for anything else.

You're lucky. I'm not sure if I could've made WL w/o PS'ing & so fast. But I have decided to try for HL w/o PS'ing to see what happens. I do know for sure if I don't hit HL by Dec then it was because I didn't PS.

what is your regular routine/regimen? products?:
I wash and rollerset my hair weekly. I may go two weeks if it has been holding up well.

-do you protective style at all?:
No. But since I'm usually at home I don't take my hair down everyday. I wear my hair out 4 days a week.

how do you wear your hair in public? to bed?
I wear my hair down or in a ponytail. Usually down. Depending on the style I want, I crosswrap, bantu knot, or pillow roller my hair at night.

do you use heat/roller set regularly?
I flat iron my roots only after rollersetting. I do not use direct heat anytime outside of that and I don't put heat on my hair length end ends.

Other info?
I moisturize and seal my hair almost nightly. I see much less breakage and split ends doing this as compared to when I PSed regularly.

Last edited:
Back