Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

KhandiB

I'm at 38 weeks now... I know I want to relax, but I don't want to do it myself, I have soooo much new growth. Still suffering from some breakage and HORRIBLE dryness. Still haven't found a real good conditioner to help with detangling, dryness or shine. I've bought so many conditioners lately and they are just doing nothing. I'm so frustrated.

Evolving78

I'm at 38 weeks now... I know I want to relax, but I don't want to do it myself, I have soooo much new growth. Still suffering from some breakage and HORRIBLE dryness. Still haven't found a real good conditioner to help with detangling, dryness or shine. I've bought so many conditioners lately and they are just doing nothing. I'm so frustrated.
What conditioner are you using? I use Silicon Mix Bambu. Sally's has a conditioner that will really help too! It's called Mystic Divine. You can get a pack and try it out. You have so much new growth that you will have to flat iron your hair for the stylist to get through it, without causing breakage. I wouldn't wait much longer.

I would use an oil and finger detangle my hair, remove shed hairs, and section it off. I would sit with the oil for 10-15 mins under a dryer with a plastic cap.

I would wash with a sulfate shampoo, then use a non sulfate shampoo. In sections.

I would D.C. With those conditioners I named for 30 mins under the dryer. I would apply it to wet hair. like apply it in the shower/each section, then put a plastic cap on. Don't apply to towel, or tee shirt dried hair.

Rinse back in the shower
Then get a good detangling spray that's a leave-in too. I use Creme Of Nature Argan oil or their Straight From Eden. I apply a serum for slip, then I detangle. Once I detangle that entire section, I twist it up , and clip it away. After I do all of those sections (5-6), I blow dry each section on 50% dried hair. This way, there is still moisture in my hair that won't cause over dryness during my blow drying session.
After that, apply a little bit of serum again, then flat iron.

Fantasia IC heat protectant serum will give you the most slip out of all of the big salon brand serums.

Oh those conditioners don't have protein in them. That's why I use the for softening and slippage.

KhandiB

Im using so many conditioners. I have been trying Eden products and Mielle Organics.

Nothing gives me slip like I want though , so Ill try the oil method you mentioned. I'm more frustrated because I know how to take care of my hair!! But I haven't gone this long post since I was 13. I just realize this life isnt for me. I need a relaxer!

I will stop by Sallys today and get a pack or 2 of Mystic Divine.

What conditioner are you using? I use Silicon Mix Bambu. Sally's has a conditioner that will really help too! It's called Mystic Divine. You can get a pack and try it out. You have so much new growth that you will have to flat iron your hair for the stylist to get through it, without causing breakage. I wouldn't wait much longer.

I would use an oil and finger detangle my hair, remove shed hairs, and section it off. I would sit with the oil for 10-15 mins under a dryer with a plastic cap.

I would wash with a sulfate shampoo, then use a non sulfate shampoo. In sections.

I would D.C. With those conditioners I named for 30 mins under the dryer. I would apply it to wet hair. like apply it in the shower/each section, then put a plastic cap on. Don't apply to towel, or tee shirt dried hair.

Rinse back in the shower
Then get a good detangling spray that's a leave-in too. I use Creme Of Nature Argan oil or their Straight From Eden. I apply a serum for slip, then I detangle. Once I detangle that entire section, I twist it up , and clip it away. After I do all of those sections (5-6), I blow dry each section on 50% dried hair. This way, there is still moisture in my hair that won't cause over dryness during my blow drying session.
After that, apply a little bit of serum again, then flat iron.

Fantasia IC heat protectant serum will give you the most slip out of all of the big salon brand serums.

Oh those conditioners don't have protein in them. That's why I use the for softening and slippage.

Evolving78

Im using so many conditioners. I have been trying Eden products and Mielle Organics.

Nothing gives me slip like I want though , so Ill try the oil method you mentioned. I'm more frustrated because I know how to take care of my hair!! But I haven't gone this long post since I was 13. I just realize this life isnt for me. I need a relaxer!

I will stop by Sallys today and get a pack or 2 of Mystic Divine.
I know you are a pro at your hair! I couldn't go that long either! lol I struggle at 10-12 weeks! The longest I have ever went was 14-16 weeks. I don't care what anybody says! Stretching isn't for everyone! It's all about texture! You got people not washing their hair for a month, just to avoid the process. It's not that serious. Go natural if you have to do all of that!

Destiny9109

@shortdub78 Have you found a lye relaxer that straightens well yet? I've kind of narrowed it down by doing research. Naked by Essations, Straight Request Ultra Butter, Nairobi, and Design Essentials(some people said it left them with texture, but the majority says it gets hair bone straight). I guess I just have to suck it up and try one of these to see the results.

I wonder if the professional no lye relaxers are better than the drugstore ones.

Evolving78

@shortdub78 Have you found a lye relaxer that straightens well yet? I've kind of narrowed it down by doing research. Naked by Essations, Straight Request Ultra Butter, Nairobi, and Design Essentials(some people said it left them with texture, but the majority says it gets hair bone straight). I guess I just have to suck it up and try one of these to see the results.

I wonder if the professional no lye relaxers are better than the drugstore ones.
Nairobi got my hair bone straight. My friend used it and she said it was terrible! lol I believe the professional ones maybe better. I have never tried one. They don't have as many fillers/buffing agents like the drug store brands. Creme of Nature Argan oil has been the best for me so far. Mizani has worked for me in the past, but the butter blends left me with a lot of texture. I used Mizani regular back in 2011 on virgin hair, and it for me pretty straight. I'm trying my best to stretch out my relaxer as much as possible to see what direction I want to go in. I really prefer bone straight. I like smooth, full hair styles. I like roller sets and wrapping. Can't seem to do that when a lot of texture is left behind for me. Roller sets don't stretch my new growth out. It's like trying to stretch out a pen coil.

Destiny9109

I finally decided on Affirm Fiberguard lye after meeting a lady with the most shiny, beautiful, and thick mbl hair(maybe a Nikos cousin lol) who raved about it when I inquired if she was relaxed or natural. It must have been fate because I was really racking my brain trying to choose, but Affirm is a tried and true brand so I'm not really worried. I hate the regular Affirm because the formula changed and it makes my hair dry and brittle, it's not what it used to be when my stylist in high school used it.

Evolving78

I finally decided on Affirm Fiberguard lye after meeting a lady with the most shiny, beautiful, and thick mbl hair(maybe a Nikos cousin lol) who raved about it when I inquired if she was relaxed or natural. It must have been fate because I was really racking my brain trying to choose, but Affirm is a tried and true brand so I'm not really worried. I hate the regular Affirm because the formula changed and it makes my hair dry and brittle, it's not what it used to be when my stylist in high school used it.
Please let me know how it works for you! As my hair gets longer, I may switch.

LushLox

I'm one day post relaxer! Love how my hair feels right now. I got some hair spray. I'm gonna see if it gives me a flexible hold.

What hairspray did you buy, I'm always on the look out for good ones.

People tend not to use hair spray on here; I personally always have but you've got to use the right one. I made the mistake of buying some cheap crap, the next moment I felt my hair going snap crackle and pop :nono: I had to condition and protein treat the hell out of my hair afterwards.

I use Living Proof Flexible hold and it's very good, it's not going to give you helmet hair just lovely hair with movement but a gentle hold.

I'll be six weeks post this week and I feel I'll be able to stretch for quite a long time this time around as the products I'm using are really loosening my NG. I hope to touch up at 20 weeks but if I have to relax earlier that's fine. The most important thing is not to struggle with it to the point it's stressing you out.

Rozlewis

I have been using Affirm Fireguard lye for 2 years and I love it. Good luck!

Evolving78

What hairspray did you buy, I'm always on the look out for good ones.

People tend not to use hair spray on here; I personally always have but you've got to use the right one. I made the mistake of buying some cheap crap, the next moment I felt my hair going snap crackle and pop :nono: I had to condition and protein treat the hell out of my hair afterwards.

I use Living Proof Flexible hold and it's very good, it's not going to give you helmet hair just lovely hair with movement but a gentle hold.

I'll be six weeks post this week and I feel I'll be able to stretch for quite a long time this time around as the products I'm using are really loosening my NG. I hope to touch up at 20 weeks but if I have to relax earlier that's fine. The most important thing is not to struggle with it to the point it's stressing you out.
I bought Design Essentials Form. Mizani has a nice spray too. It's called Finish and Polish. I use hair spray once in awhile. It's going to be hot and humid today. My neck was sweating in the bathroom last night, while I was flat ironing my hair. I'm SL right now, so my hair started clinging to my neck!

I wash just told by my niece, Living Proof Humidity Shield works really well too!

Last edited:

SuchaLady

I had to go the bone-straight route for this very reason.

I have four options I'm considering :look:

1) Doing a corrective with a heavily diluted relaxer to knock out a tad bit more kink. :eek:
2) Buying a wig and being done with it until Christmas :yawn:
3) Purchasing a new blowdryer and just blowdry every two weeks :spinning:
4) Cutting it all off :drunk:
Or a combination of two of these.

All of these has the potential to be equally as catastrophic :lol: and I have a lot of hair. So it's a lot at stake here o_O

Last edited:

Aggie

This is the one that I use as well and have been using it for about two years now.

Evolving78

I have four options I'm considering :look:

1) Doing a corrective with a heavily diluted relaxer to knock out a tad bit more kink. :eek:
2) Buying a wig and being done with it until Christmas :yawn:
3) Purchasing a new blowdryer and just blowdry every two weeks :spinning:
4) Cutting it all off :drunk:
Or a combination of two of these.

All of these has the potential to be equally as catastrophic :lol: and I have a lot of hair. So it's a lot at stake here o_O
I would do a corrective and get a new blow dryer.

Evolving78

@LushLox that hair spray I used worked well yesterday and I was still able to comb through my hair! It's a keeper! It's ingredients is very similar to Living Proof Humidity spray. A stylist complemented me on my hair yesterday. She said I did a really good job with trimming my ends! She asked if I went to a professional! Even though I have been to cosmetology school, it's still nice to know I'm doing something right.

LushLox

@LushLox that hair spray I used worked well yesterday and I was still able to comb through my hair! It's a keeper! It's ingredients is very similar to Living Proof Humidity spray. A stylist complemented me on my hair yesterday. She said I did a really good job with trimming my ends! She asked if I went to a professional! Even though I have been to cosmetology school, it's still nice to know I'm doing something right.

That's nice to hear that from a stylist, especially the bit about the ends. A nice endorsement indeed!:yep:

Glad the hairspray worked for you too. :yep:

LushLox

17 weeks post and 1 more to go. I think I will reduce my next stretch to 13-14 weeks.

@Aggie what techniques did you use to manage this stretch? I've stretched for long periods but on recollection I didn't always manage them successfully due to apathy and laziness I guess. If I'm going to stretch for this amount of time I have to manage the two textures better, cause when I do the length and particularly thickness I get is so worth it.

SuchaLady

@shortdub78 I dont want to do a corrective but I basically have to. Even if I modify my relaxer process going forward, leaving the length as is still will not work. I had hair that was relaxed too straight three years ago and on my BSL/not quite MBLish hair it is/was just now getting to my ends to be cut out this year. Most of it is gone now but I aint trying to really set myself up for hair problems Im stuck with until 2020 :lol:

Its almost as if my hair is either underprocessed or too straight. Ive had texture left in my hair for as long as I have been relaxed with every relaxer used but this is too much :nono:

Evolving78

@shortdub78 I dont want to do a corrective but I basically have to. Even if I modify my relaxer process going forward, leaving the length as is still will not work. I had hair that was relaxed too straight three years ago and on my BSL/not quite MBLish hair it is/was just now getting to my ends to be cut out this year. Most of it is gone now but I aint trying to really set myself up for hair problems Im stuck with until 2020 :lol:

Its almost as if my hair is either underprocessed or too straight. Ive had texture left in my hair for as long as I have been relaxed with every relaxer used but this is too much :nono:
I forgot if you use lye, or no lye?

Aggie

@Aggie what techniques did you use to manage this stretch? I've stretched for long periods but on recollection I didn't always manage them successfully due to apathy and laziness I guess. If I'm going to stretch for this amount of time I have to manage the two textures better, cause when I do the length and particularly thickness I get is so worth it.
Wigs alternated with bunning is all I do @LushLox. I don't know how to do much else :nono:.