Relaxed Heads: How many weeks post relaxer are you and when is your next touch up???

flyygirlll2

Lioness mane
Thank you @divachyk and @flyygirlll2 for the tips and my mom is doing well. This wash was the worst I've ever had but I learned a very hard lesson. I lost a ton of hair and that reminded me that I have to comb my hair from root to tip at least every other day to avoid clumping and knots at my roots. Being so far overdue for my relaxer did not help.

The Cantu Detangler is a god send. It helped detangle before and after my wash and has even helped to add moisture to my hair during these past 2 weeks. My hair was so dry and the ends were breaking off during the week after my wash. I used Aphogee 2 minute Reconstructor and them applied Silk Dreams Avocado Conditioner on top but it did not help to add moisture to my hair. Plus I blow dried my hair which always dries my hair out. My hair just started feeling moisturized two days ago.

Any suggestions for a moisturizing deep conditioner with no protein that I can buy from a beauty supply store? I can't use Keracare anymore because they changed the ingredients and now I'm allergic to their conditioners which used to be a staple product of mine.

@hot_pepper96 good to hear your mom is is doing well. As far as a moisturizing DC you could get on the ground, I would suggest Nexxus Humectress ( it's a conditioner but it can be used as a DC, I use it to pre-poo/DC) Aussie 3 Minute, and Kera Minerals @divachyk can probably chime in about this DC better, it gets good reviews and I don't believe it has protein in it. HTH! :)

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
What a blessing to hear mom is well @hot_pepper96. I learned that I can only go without combing while my hair is braided. I pray to God I am never faced with a stressful event but if I am, I will at least braid my hair rather than neglecting it totally like I did when I had a bad cold and when dh was in the hospital. I too learned my lesson from those two incidents.

Kera Minerals (Sally's), Nexxus Humectress (Walgreen's, Target or Ulta) or Sally's GVP Nexxus Humectress (Sally's) and Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm (knockoff Matrix - Sally's). HTH!

ETA: double check the ingredients before you buy though just in case they have protein. My hair is very protein sensitive and have no issues with these products. If they have protein, my hair has no issues with it which is saying something because my hair generally hates protein.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I've grown hair lazy. I use to joke my mom about wearing wigs non-stop but I've sipped the kool-aid and see how wonderful it is.

I'll be 40 weeks post this week, I think. I will keep stretching as long as --
: I don't grow tired of wigs (as that's the only way I've been able to stretch)
: my hair doesn't suffer too much breakage
: my edges don't suffer from wigs

I've been busy at work and it has felt great not worrying with hair. I also love that my wigs make me look different and is giving me style options that I've been without for a while since I do little to my own hair.

ETA: Random - earlier today a a guy asked dh - " are yall from around here" b/c he thought I was Olivia Pope. lol Charge it to my wig 'cause we look nothing alike.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
6 weeks post. So far so good. It takes a little extra time to detangle now because my root are coming in. I look forward to having some length again. I miss the feeling of my hair grazing my shoulders. I have been trying a few new products and have been fortunate that most everything seems to work for my hair.

sunnieb

5 weeks post today and I have to finally say goodbye to my freshly relaxed roots.

My newgrowth has officially begun to crinkle on in.

Nayeli

Four weeks post today. Wondering if the keracare humecto will keep performing further into the stretch. May have to keep searching for my ultimate moisture DC.

CluelessJL

Relaxing next week at 15 weeks post. I cntemplated self relaxing but I don't think I'm ready. I'm going to change a few things though to hopefully improve the results:
- Ask the stylist to use a milder relaxer
- Base my scalp properly
- Spray my hair with silk amino acids before I go
- Step up the protein beforehand (already started this last week).

cynd

Just checked and I'm about 83 weeks post. I've only managed because I work from home and have been slapping on a wig when I go out. With the warmer weather, I don't know if I'll be able to deal with the wig so I bought PhytoRelaxer Index 1 for my fine hair. I really wish I knew a professional who would do it for me, but the last time I went to someone and asked her to make sure she didn't overlap, she gave me a stank face and said she was professional ... before she proceeded to overlap.

Evolving78

Just checked and I'm about 83 weeks post. I've only managed because I work from home and have been slapping on a wig when I go out. With the warmer weather, I don't know if I'll be able to deal with the wig so I bought PhytoRelaxer Index 1 for my fine hair. I really wish I knew a professional who would do it for me, but the last time I went to someone and asked her to make sure she didn't overlap, she gave me a stank face and said she was professional ... before she proceeded to overlap.
That is a serious stretch!

cynd

That is a serious stretch!

I used timeanddate.com and was shocked at how long it'd been. Having said that, 83 weeks sounds a lot longer than 18 months, which that basically amounts to. You would think I'd have hair down to my elbows by now, but no such luck.

Evolving78

I used timeanddate.com and was shocked at how long it'd been. Having said that, 83 weeks sounds a lot longer than 18 months, which that basically amounts to. You would think I'd have hair down to my elbows by now, but no such luck.
how do you wear your hair underneath? Around the house? 18 months sounds like a jail sentence! Lol does it feel like jail? Has stretching been a breeze? Do you normally stretch for a long time?

Lilmama1011

I might relax this week at 10 weeks. I miss having straight hair and I'm tired of doing protective styles and not feeling like it's done and it's hard to part when about to relax at 12 weeks. I also on the want to use direct heat. I might start doing 10 weeks instead and reduce it to 8 weeks minimum. I use to relax at 6 weeks before the board and my hair still was thick

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
7 weeks into 16 week stretch. I have decided to go back to the salon. Made my appointment for June 27. So excited!

shasha8685

16 weeks post relaxer tomorrow. I have some decisions to make about when to relax because it's not feeling urgent right now.