Relaxed and looking for Protective Styling Inspiration

tasha5951

Hi Everyone,

I have relaxed APL hair. My goal is to be BSL by April 2012 and MBL by December 2012 so I'm in full force protective styling until I reach my goal. Begin that I'm going on my 2nd full year of protective styling, I'm growing VERY tired of my current style. I basically part on the left, flat twist each side to the back and either bun with bobby pins or use an ouchless clip to hide the ends. I own a group fitness studio and teach dance/PE full time so I like that I can sweat as much as I want without it ruining my current protective style but I'm SO BORED and feel like I look like a school marm :( It probably doesn't help that I'm too lazy to do my makeup or accessorize on a consistent basis:look:

So, I'm asking you to post pics/video links to some protective styles that would work on relaxed APL hair. Thanks for your help :grin:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Last year, I baggy bunned, covering the baggied bun with a scarf wrap like this:

Or, a high bun and a phony pony on top of the baggied bun. That kept my ends beautifully, and no breakage because I didn't go too tight. Retention was off the chain.

I started texlaxing and then used a satin scarf and aloe gel to flatten my edges to keep a smooth look. Like this:

Not sure my hair will do that anymore. :lol:

back2relaxed

I loved phony ponies, when I was growing my hair out. Also pinned up rollersets worked well, and could be air dried, if I wanted to cowash.

tasha5951

NJoy- how did you hold the bun in place? Was it just bobby pinned? I like the idea of a phony pony but I'm worried about my bun or whatever coming loose and then pony tail slipping out...thoughts?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
@NJoy- how did you hold the bun in place? Was it just bobby pinned? I like the idea of a phony pony but I'm worried about my bun or whatever coming loose and then pony tail slipping out...thoughts?

tasha5951

I use a nylon (knee hi) to secure a ponytail (not tied too tight). Then twist and wrap the hair to make a bun, tuck the ends under and into the center of the bun. Then I use a plastic cap and, while I'm holding the bun in place with my hand, cover the bun, twist and rewrap. It's usually about 3 layers of plastic after twisting (Think of how you would twist and rewrap with a scrunchie).

Or, I might use a fold top plastic sandwich bag (no ziplock top) to cover my bun and use a scrunchie "ontop of the the plastic" (not touching my hair) to hold it in place (again, not too tight).

From there, I cover with scarf or phonytail. no pins. I like the sandwich bag better because I can buy a box of 100 from the dollar store. :yep:

Also, my hair is usually wet/damp so, I make SURE not to make it too tight because even tho the wrapped hair stays moist, the rest of the hair airdries and will tighten/pull. So ladies who wet bun and get breakage, I suppose that's from making the bun too tight to start with. Gotta leave just a little give for drying.

Hope that makes sense. It kept my moisturized and sealed ends flawless. AND you have access to your hair. I haven't been doing that much this year and for the first time in my HHJ, I've seen split ends. I'm back to baggying again.