Regrowing edges...is there any hope?

sparkle25

So I have been on a HHJ for about 4 years. I've learned how properly clean, comb and keep my hair moisturized. Still working on the breakage ( I know...pathetic after four years) and am going to start using protein. But one major problem that I have had for years other than breakage is my edges. If it weren't for my edges I would wear my hair despite the breakage and never wear wigs.

I use to wear braids all the time, but haven't for about eight years. Wearing the braids ruined the edges of my hair. Some hair still grows there, but it is still very thin with small bald patches, and it never grows very long. It has been this way since I stopped wearing them eight years ago.

While I love wearing wigs, I really want to wear my real hair. Despite the breakage it is still pretty long ( not sure exactly how long since I haven't straightened it in forever), but I still can't wear my natural hair because my edges are so messed up.

I tried the Bee Mine growth serum. I think it kinda worked but it was way too greasy and it smelled horrible. My hair generally doesn't like heavy oils anyways and it just didnt feel good.

Then I tried mixing Jamaican black castor oil with megatek. Again it was too oily and greasy.

Any other suggestions? I've just gotten home from a year long trip to the Southern Hemisphere and they didn't have any black hair products. My hair suffered while I was there so now I am home and ready to jump back on my HHJ hardcore. I'm shopping online tonight for all things needed :lol:

I can relate to your post I believe there's a thread or two addressing this and a challenge. I think FaithVA or Njoy started a thread challenge in the past.

I will tell I when I transitioned I had thick full edges...low and behold I got lazy started going down the braid route. My hair did thrive but not my edges. So I started being diligent and I stopped the braiding route. I used the JBCO Bee Mines my own mixers of sulfur essential oils, etc. Now let me tell what really helped me was Komaza line The Califia and Protein Strengthening Cream, the oils mentioned, AND inversion!...I unfortunately don't have progress pics I personally don't want to be reminded of how bad my edges were (to me) Lol

I think it was stress related too so I had to eliminate that and internal modifications (good proteins, bamboo silica, biotin, mtv, and exercised more. I'm no expert but there's good info floating around here...and it has helped me so I hope others will and give great suggestions :) happy growing edges!

the blood needs to stimulated in that area..add some castor oil..massage some stimulating oils into the hairline area..

I'm sure the ladies of lhcf will chime in...

bradis
tight pony tails
wigs and etc can do a number on a hairline...

^^^I agree with the above poster that the wigs may be hurting more than they are helping. Can your edges be flat twisted? If so, keep em' flat twisted and moisturized after you massage them with your growth oils.

Last edited:
You could incorporate Coffee and/or Tea Rinsing to stimulate your Growth in that area and also some stimulating lighter weight Hair Oils.

Claudie has a Hairline & Temple Balm Revitalizer product that works on those areas. Also the Edges, Crowns, Hairline, Nape Challenge is a good place to get Tips and Encouragement.

I too agree with using castor oil and massaging it regularly but minimize manipulation in that area as much as possible. It makes difference. Over time you will see them come in. I too am dealing with the same issue, but with this regimen and patience, I do see results.

You could incorporate Coffee and/or Tea Rinsing to stimulate your Growth in that area and also some stimulating lighter weight Hair Oils.

Claudie has a Hairline & Temple Balm Revitalizer product that works on those areas. Also the Edges, Crowns, Hairline, Nape Challenge is a good place to get Tips and Encouragement.

Ditto, Claudies products are great for helping regrow hair. ALso keep that are moisturized. I used moisturizing conditioner+ henna on my edges to help fill them in after pregnancy shedding.

Thanks everyone. I have been out of the game for so long, I have never even heard of Claudies product line. Don't bring the product junkie in me out! Lol. Good thing I already have a great leave in conditioner ( Darcy botanicals ) and a good deep conditioner ( jessicurl). The only thing I haven't found a staple for is shampoos and now I need some stuff to grow my edges. So this Claudies hairline and temple balm has success with a lot of ladies? I am really looking for a product that lots of good things for that type of issue. I have been looking into neem oil, emu oil, castor oil, peppermint oil, rosemary etc. I am way to lazy to mix my own oils. I wish I could find a product that had a lot of good things in it instead of just one. If anyone has any more suggestions I am happy to hear them.

I also say, if you can, try to wear wigs less. They snatch out those edges so fast! I stopped micros to save my edges and ends. Thinking I was doing good, I went to wigs. What was left of my edges was a see through sad case. So I bravely ditched the wigs. Most of that peach fuzz was replaced by hair in abot 6-8 months.

Massages are a gift for thin spots too to get that blood flowing and feeding the follicles in the area.

Thanks Froreal3! ! I took a quick peek and I think I may buy something lol! I really just want something that has a lot of good things in it. Like a one stop product for the purpose of growing my edges and that looks like it may be it. What's the deal with coffee in hair products though? I have never heard of that before....

Looks like I'm going to be online all night lol

Froreal3 I found a pomade on there that has most of those ingredients I listed! Yay! Thank you. What is behentrimonium methosulfate, anyone know?

BTMS is ok. It's an ingredient used in a lot of these natural hair products that helps with detangling and moisturizing.

I have the Rosemary (Plumeria scent) and Peppermint (vanilla scent) pomades. I like both. Plumeria smells strongly, but I like strong scents. Vanilla is mild, but still smells good and is noticeable. These are pomades, so you can use very sparingly since they can be heavy. I happen to love them.

Another etsy shop ppl seem to like is KeraVeda. They have a ton of ayurvedic oils including neem. I've never used them, but lots seem to love them and most of them are light consistencies.

Coffee is supposed to stimulate the follicles. There are a few threads about it.

Last edited:
Back