Regimen for Physically Active LHCFers

Anticipatience08

I'm in the process of creating a regimen for my hair, but I need a bit of help from you lovely ladies!

I work out between 4-6 days a week from anywhere between 1-2 hrs. I'm no health guru...I'm getting married in November and I've found a form of exercise that I'm obsessed with so I'm constantly exercising LOL

I'm new to the boards and just starting my journey on the road to healthy, longer hair. But I have a question as I begin: Because of the amount of exercise I do, how should I handle moisturizing my hair? What effect does sweat have on hair? Should I shampoo more than once per week due to my workout schedule?

Oh yeah, I'm wearing sew-ins (partial right now but will try out a closure for the next install) as I grow.

Any suggestions?

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I workout as well. I'm natural and throughout the week my hair is usually in twists or a bun. Sweat is supposed to be drying to the hair, so some people like to cowash after each work out.

Personally, I only shampoo once a week, but try to co-wash the sweat out at least one other time during the week. Most times I skip the co-wash and simply rinse or spray my scalp and hair lightly with water. This seems to be just fine for my hair.

After co-washing you'd moisturize and seal as usual. As far as sew ins, I'm no expert on them, but I'm sure you can use a dry or diluted shampoo in a nozzle bottle once a week or so.

Anticipatience08

I workout as well. I'm natural and throughout the week my hair is usually in twists or a bun. Sweat is supposed to be drying to the hair, so some people like to cowash after each work out.

Personally, I only shampoo once a week, but try to co-wash the sweat out at least one other time during the week. Most times I skip the co-wash and simply rinse or spray my scalp and hair lightly with water. This seems to be just fine for my hair.

After co-washing you'd moisturize and seal as usual. As far as sew ins, I'm no expert on them, but I'm sure you can use a dry or diluted shampoo in a nozzle bottle once a week or so.

Thank you so much!!

I had no idea that sweat was so drying. I believe that is the culprit that explains my dry hair issues #Doh

I will definitely be increasing the moisture retention/replacement techniques now that I know this.

Flourishnikov

Somewhere Flourishing...
I wore sew-ins for convenience of working out and I washed my hair no more than twice a month. My hair thrived, but I also moisturized it every 1-2 days. I didnt like to wash too often, because it was too much work drying my braids under the sew-in thoroughly.

BTW, What work out are you addicted to?!

uofmpanther

4ab, lopo, fine, low-med density
Here are two articles on sweat and hair:
- http://blackgirllonghair.com/2013/05/is-sweat-bad-for-your-hair-and-scalp/
- http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/09/is-sweat-damaging-my-natural-hair.html

When I was relaxed, I used to use a dry shampoo. I'll try to find the name, but I think it is discontinued.

Now, I'm natural and I just started a new intense workout routine that has me sweating alot. I do a good wash once a week, and I co-wash in between as needed (especially if my scalp starts to get itchy). Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle has been good for my co-wash. I also use tea tree in my moisturizing spritz to cut down on possible bacteria.

Normally, I wear my hair in flat twists under a wig, and I just co-wash in those. I don't take them down until my end of week wash.

Last edited:

Anticipatience08

I wore sew-ins for convenience of working out and I washed my hair no more than twice a month. My hair thrived, but I also moisturized it every 1-2 days. I didnt like to wash too often, because it was too much work drying my braids under the sew-in thoroughly.

BTW, What work out are you addicted to?!

Pole dancing LOL

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I've never had a sew in but I'd recommend cowashing, if possible and moisturizing/seal as you would normally. Sweat can be very drying.