Recommendations needed - I've never done a protein treatment

Nichelle_jb

I also recommend Komaza Protein Strengthener. I'm still using the old formula though so I can't speak for how good the new formula works.

I also love Claudie's Renew Protein so you might give that a try.

Nichelle_jb

virtuenow

I also recommend Komaza Protein Strengthener. I'm still using the old formula though so I can't speak for how good the new formula works.

I also love Claudie's Renew Protein so you might give that a try.

Nichelle_jb

I'm also still using the old formula. I buy a couple of bottles when something is really good. I can't wait to try the new formula. It sounds just as good maybe a little better (if possible).

ronie

That's it I'm getting the komaza protein conditioner. I'm sorry OP, I know you re the one asking for recommendations. But I just gotta try this one.
I only have one use left from my claudie renew anyways, so perfect timing, lol.

IDareT'sHair and you got more?????? Lolllllll

RoundEyedGirl504

I like Duo-Tex, it's stronger than the Aphogee 2 min, but not as strong as the Aphogee 2 step. Alod Dudley's DRC-28 is good, but expensive, however it lasts forever.

Dare~to~Dream

I have natural hair and have always done protein treatments. I've tried only a few so I'm going to list them with a short review.

For weekly deep treatments:

Ultra Black Hair Deep Conditioner-I've used this for years and I always find that I go back to it.

ApHogee Keratin 2 minute Reconstructor-got my hair back on track from too much moisture when I couldn't get the Ultra Black Hair Conditioner. It is okay but not as good as the Ultra Black Hair Conditioner. When this bottle is done I will go back to Ultra Black Hair Conditioner.

Aubrey GPB-Just okay...I don't think it has enough protein for my hair.

Hardcore Treatments:

ApHogee 2 Step-I've used it for years...every 6 weeks then as needed. It's good stuff and works even better when you use it with a clear gloss treatment. However, I must admit that I am curious about the Komaza protein strengthener.

Jherri Rhedding Natural Protein-I have a whole bottle of this stuff and I tried it once but it was too watery and just went everywhere...it smells like extra fermented basalmic vinegar (looks like it too). ApHogee doesn't smell great either but I guess I'm used to it now.

Carbonoel Concentrated Thickener-This was very first protein treatment that I ever tried..right after I found this site. I used to get Gold Medal hair magazines and just happened to have this on hand from a previous order and tried it. My hair was so hard and brittle (but strong) because at the time I didn't know I was supposed to follow up with a moisturizing conditioner (the bottle didn't say so) and since I had just joined this site, I didn't read that info either. Needless to say, I never used it again.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@naturalmanenyc

I forgot about: Neutral Protein Filler (Sally)and

Hydrolzed Protein *got it Garden of Wisdom* if you don't mind mixing it in your DC'ers.

I've used both to spritz my previously relaxed hair just before a Touch-Up. Both under $10.00

@ronie You bet not say Nuffin' either:catfight: .....:lol:

@Dare~to~Dream

I Agree 100% about Cathy Howse Ultra Black Hair! Good Stuff!:lick:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
I still use Cathy Howse Ultra Deep Conditioner but I want to try Hydratherma Naturals Protein Conditioner....

...Cathy Howse DC is a very hard protein conditioner but I need to find a paraben, cone-free strong protein conditioner.

ronie

@naturalmanenyc

I forgot about: Neutral Protein Filler (Sally)and

Hydrolzed Protein *got it Garden of Wisdom* if you don't mind mixing it in your DC'ers.

I've used both to spritz my previously relaxed hair just before a Touch-Up. Both under $10.00

@ronie You bet not say Nuffin' either:catfight: .....:lol:

@Dare~to~Dream

I Agree 100% about Cathy Howse Ultra Black Hair! Good Stuff!:lick:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
I'm sure there's one more hiding on the bottom shelf:look:.
IDareT'sHair that hydrolyzed protein, is it keratin or something else. I would love to get my hands on some pure protein and mix in my own DC.

werenumber2

I had my hair analysis done earlier today with Jenn as well!

I haven't used the Aphogee 2 step treatment in a while because it's kind of a messy and time-consuming (and smelly) undertaking, but it definitely delivers results. My hair shed much less and was easier to detangle in the weeks following the Aphogee treatment.

Jenn recommended the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener to me as well but I'm currently using Shescentit Okra Hair Repair Reconstructor. They both seem like pretty similar products, but if you all can convince me that the Komaza protein treatment is better than SSI, I may order a 2 oz bottle to try it out.

Ari8

First, thanks for mentioning me. Second, I haven't done many protein treatments, but I hope I can help anyhow.

AO GPB- This one has milk protein. I'm not sure this is actually beneficial for porous and damaged hair. My understanding is that hydrolyzed protein is better for deep penetration/rebuilding. It's a bogus product, IMO. Does nothing to strengthen my hair and little to improve its other qualities. I don't get why it's such a rave.

Millcreek Biotin: I was using this as a daily rinse-out (I stopped because of the panthenol giving me frizz/OC issues). It has hydrolyzed keratin and collagen. The longest I've left it on was 20 minutes and it made my hair watery/slippery. It can definitely reduce breakage and perk your curls up, but it's not *enough* protein for my hair. But I still think it's a good product.

Cure Care - Too light to be a deep treatment but it makes a nice rinse out (kinda left me OC'd as a leave-in) It has hydrolyzed keratin. I always followed it with moisture, although most of the time I didn't need to because my hair usually felt very soft after using it. It flipped the script on me and started making my hair brittle and tangly/matted on the ends. I've previously described this as protein overload but I'm not so sure anymore. I know now (thanks to experimenting) that my hair reacts this way when it's gotten too much moisture.

Giovanni Nutrafix - If left on for the recommended time, my hair felt tangled, dry and like straw. I learned to leave it on for less time and it made my hair feel softer but definitely NOT strengthened. I eventually just started using it as a moisturizing leave-in and ditched it once I realized it was OC'ing. It has plant extracts.

Ion Effective Care - Hydrolyzed vegetable protein is in this one, which is supposedly good for helping hair to retain moisture. It does make my hair shiny but not strengthened at all. It's a moisturizing conditioner, IMO.

Komaza Care Protein Strengthener - I've tried this twice now. It stops breakage but only for about a day or two. It didn't help with improving my hair's curl pattern or shine/sheen either. The minute I applied some moisture, my hair went dull, coated and frizzy again. I think the aloe vera/behentrimonium is overpowering the protein.

Aphogee 2 step - My hair laughed at this. Had absolutely no effect.

Joico K-pak - Same as above.

Yeah, so... at the very least I hope I gave you one or two product suggestions, lol! I know I wasn't much help.

bunnie82

naturalmanenyc

Thanks for the mention! Sorry so late! I've been MIA.

I would rather you use Dudley's DRC or Egyptian Gold rather than Aphogee...

All 3 work but Dudley's and Egyptian Gold smell good (aphogee STANKS) and you can use a plastic cap with them....they don't get hard like Aphogee... hth!!!

Luprisi

I still use Cathy Howse Ultra Deep Conditioner but I want to try Hydratherma Naturals Protein Conditioner....

...Cathy Howse DC is a very hard protein conditioner but I need to find a paraben, cone-free strong protein conditioner.

I'm tempted to try Cathy Howse DC. I keep hearing how good it is. Could you please let me know what kind of protein is in it? I have aphogee 2 minute reconstructor but would like to try something different than keratin.