Quick Henna Question

that_1_grrrl

Okay, I am looking through the Henna threads, and I am not finding an answer to my question (or maybe I am just not understanding).

I do not want to use Henna for color, just to make my hair stronger. Can I make a paste and apply it straight to the hair? Or do I still have to let it sit?

ETA: Ugh, I just read that with Jamila Henna, the dye releases while mixing. Is that true?

Last edited:

cicilypayne

From my understanding letting the Henna sit before application releases the color and letting henna sit while on your head is for coloring and strengthening. Look up the instructions for an henna gloss, which I believe involves mixing henna with conditioner and then applying it to your head waiting for like 30 min then rinsing. I believe this method deposits little to no color. You can also order cassia(sp) which is like all the good stuff that henna does but no color.:ohwell:I'm not a henna queen so looks this up or wait for the wise one's to post.

that_1_grrrl

From my understanding letting the Henna sit before application releases the color and letting henna sit while on your head is for coloring and strengthening. Look up the instructions for an henna gloss, which I believe involves mixing henna with conditioner and then applying it to your head waiting for like 30 min then rinsing. I believe this method deposits little to no color. You can also order cassia(sp) which is like all the good stuff that henna does but no color.:ohwell:I'm not a henna queen so looks this up or wait for the wise one's to post.

Okay, that might actually work. I heard of someone mixing their henna with LeKair Cholesterol, and that's what I wanted to try. Thanks!

BostonMaria

As I type this I have Jamila Henna in my hair. I used to let the henna sit overnight before applying, but in the past few months I've been mixing and applying right away and I get the exact same results.

By the way, you can also add plain yogurt into the henna batch if you want a nice consistency. I added oils and honey to my henna today for moisture.

Forgot to add: cicilypayne is correct, Cassia makes the hair stronger, but does not release a color. Even if it does its very faint.

that_1_grrrl

:ohwell: Ah darn, I guess I should try to track down some Cassia then. I am not really into the idea of changing my hair color. I will give Henna a shot anyway, but I will probably move to Cassia from there.

Thanks so much for the help!

As I type this I have Jamila Henna in my hair. I used to let the henna sit overnight before applying, but in the past few months I've been mixing and applying right away and I get the exact same results.

By the way, you can also add plain yogurt into the henna batch if you want a nice consistency. I added oils and honey to my henna today for moisture.

Forgot to add: cicilypayne is correct, Cassia makes the hair stronger, but does not release a color. Even if it does its very faint.

that_1_grrrl

Okay, back already with an update. I decided to just turn my henna into a rinse. I put water in a large pitcher, added some oils and henna. I left the henna on for about 2-3 minutes, then rinsed and shampooed.

I don't know if it was the henna or if I have a placebo effect thing going but my hair does feel different. It felt real silky as I was washing the henna out. I still had breakage, but I was able to detangle without excessive breakage. :) My hair also looks more like a 'fro again!

I am pleased. I think next time I will keep it in for at least 5 minutes to see if it makes my hair any stronger. But that'll probably be my last time with henna.