Questions About Transitioning to Natural

MissPriss08

Hi All. I have decided to transition to natural without a BC. I plan to have my relaxed hair cut into a short bob and I will just clip the relaxed ends as my natural hair grows out. I have a few questions. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.1. What is the best way to deal with the 2 different textures? I plan to go to the salon for a wash and flat iron (I plan to straighten my natural hair) every 2 weeks. So what can I do in between visits?2. I tend to wash my relaxed hair often at least once a week. However, I am concerned about doing this while I transition because this would mean that I need to use heat more often. I cannot air dry due to excessive shedding. I think washing has contributed to growth in the past but is it worth the extra heat (and manipulation) to wash a lot? I would only use heat on wash days so about once a week.

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
1. If you're going to be straightening your hair anyway, I wouldn't recommend cutting it down to a short bob.

Odds are your natural hair will revert to some level of puffyness that will make a short bob look kinda crazy. ESPECIALLY, while you're trying to experiment with what works.

I plan to go to the salon for a wash and flat iron (I plan to straighten my natural hair) every 2 weeks. So what can I do in between visits?
2. Are you absolutely married to straight styles? If not, then maybe during that second week between visits you can do braid/twist outs to stretch out the amount of heat that you use on your hair.

3. There will be some breakage as you transition. IMHO, the more natural hair you are working with, the easier air drying becomes. So as you're further along don't be afraid to experiment with it.

4. The most valuable advice I ever got about natural hair is that it should be detangled in sections while wet and full of shampoo or conditioner.

HTH

ajargon02

I think that it's really great that you want to transition. I would go in small steps though. Since you are wanting to still straighten still you might want to make sure that you are ready for the natural leap. It doesn't really seem that you are ready quite yet. I would keep on talking to people, check out all sources on transitioning, and explore all your options. To me it just seems like you might be rushing this transition thing

MissPriss08

Thanks for replying, Ajargon. I have actually been thinking about going natural for a few years now so its definitly not rushing into it. But I totally agree that it is a drastic change and therefore anyone considering it, including myself, should give it considerable thought before "jumping" in. I may not wear my hair straight 100% of the time but I will wear it straight the majority of the time. Is your position that if someone wants to wear their hair straight, they should just stick with the realxer? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

so1913

If you plan on growing out without the BC, I would suggest that you NOT cut your hair short into a bob. Holding on to the length while you grow out will help you with styling. For example, when time is limited or you are just frustrated, having that length will allow you to slick your hair back into a bun, pony tail, or pin your hair up in some way.

I also transition (unexpectedly) using heat during the most of my transition which lasted 16 months. The last 3 months was probably when I started wearing styles that did not require heat. I've been into hair care for years, so I was cautious when using heat, always deep conditioning, using protectants, etc. My hair looked great and healthy when it was straightened, however, when it was time to wear my "natural" hair I was victim to heat damage. The parts of my hair that were natural softer and looser and texture became permanently straight. It made stlying my natural hair more difficult and very challenging when I first removed the relaxed ends. My last relaxer was December 2002, my transitioned ended in early 2004, when I went for my first cut at Curve Salon in November of 2005, my hair was still so straight in those areas (heat damage along the whole length of the hair) that they still thought I had some relaxed ends! So it took some time to gradually grow out and remove the ends. IMO, heat styling is one of the worst and unhealthiest ways to transition to natural, but experiences will vary.

As your hair starts to grow out, I suggest limiting the amount of heat styling you do. This will also give you a chance to "learn" your natural hair and allow you to get used to your natural hair. You are so used to handling straight hair, you will have to gradually transtion over to handling your natural texture. Experiment with the various transitioning styles that are available.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Robin41

MissPriss08 said:
Hi All. I have decided to transition to natural without a BC. I plan to have my relaxed hair cut into a short bob and I will just clip the relaxed ends as my natural hair grows out. I have a few questions. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.1. What is the best way to deal with the 2 different textures? I plan to go to the salon for a wash and flat iron (I plan to straighten my natural hair) every 2 weeks. So what can I do in between visits?2. I tend to wash my relaxed hair often at least once a week. However, I am concerned about doing this while I transition because this would mean that I need to use heat more often. I cannot air dry due to excessive shedding. I think washing has contributed to growth in the past but is it worth the extra heat (and manipulation) to wash a lot? I would only use heat on wash days so about once a week.

Congratulations on your decision.
1. I deal with the two different textures by styling with twist-outs, braid-outs, ponytails and braid extensions. I NEVER use heat on my hair. I don't try to straighten it only because I'm not interested in straight styles. I LOVE my new hair texture! My suggestions would be protective styles until you're comfortable with your new hair.

2. I condition wash fairly often, almost daily except when it's in braids, and then once a week. But like I said, I don't use heat so there's no danger of heat damage.

Try the suggestions given by the other ladies as well and see what works for you and your hair. Congrats again and hang in there.

dimpalz

Congrats on deciding to transition!!!

I had the same plans as yourself to transtion; cut my hair shorter, wear braidouts and snip as I went along. Then it all got terribly trying and laborious so I just cut it all off. Like Ajargon said I'm not sure either if you're ready for the change. I don't know your reasons for transitioning but if you're going to wear it striaght most of the time it might not be worth it. Just getting it straight 90% of the time is going to damage it and if you're aim is to get it relaxer straight it will definitely suffer.

I went natural because I felt relaxers would eventually start to damage my hair and if I ever wants it long I needed to let it do it naturally without the hinderance that relaxers were to it's health. If you're reason is anything like this then, again, straightening cancels this out.

Tha's something to think about, but back on topic. DON'T CUT IT SHORT lol. Coily got it right it'll frizz into a little puff with striaght ends.

1.The length in ur avatar looks good, that way you can pony it if you cant be bothered and even roller set it.
2. Between visits braidouts will last a coupls of days to a week at a time, so they're a good option
3. If you're going to choose a braidout as an option you don't need to blowdry it. Just wash your hair in the evening, braid or twist into the canerows and let it dry over night. I did this alot while I transitioned for that month.

The negative effects of heat on your hair seems very personal to me. Some peopls hair relishes heat and it helps maintain growth whilst for others it causes their hair to break off. If you're using heat once a week now it shouldn't make a difference if you do the same whilst transitioning. Good luck =)

MeccaMedinah

SO1913 & dimpalz gave you great advice!
I wish that I would have held onto my length during my transition because I could have worn buns & ponytails. And becareful with the heat, unless of course you intend to wear your natural hair pressed after your transition. If you want to maintain your natural texture using heat is not the best idea. There are plenty of naturals hair who can share their heat horror stories.

Syrah

Like the other ladies, I wouldn't recommend cutting your hair short. The hardest thing about transitioning is the mental process - learning to deal with this hair that you have never seen before. I found out 2 months into mine transition that my hair is curly...REALLY curly. And it took me almost a year to figure out what to do with it. Having the length gives you more options, especially when you start to feel frustrated.

After experimenting for about 6 months I cut off all my relaxed hair (and had hair down to my ear for the first time). Sure I looked damn cute when I walked out the salon, but when I got home and washed the mess - I didn't know WHAT to do. HAHAHA...it was HORRIBLE. So I started braiding my hair - 2-3 rows of cornrows every 2-3 weeks (number of rows = number of weeks I left them). Simply sleek cornrows that I could wear to work AND not mess with my hair. I did this for about 4 months straight, so when I took the rows out for good, I had about 12 inches of hair - enough to cut off ALL the relaxed texture and just deal with my hair. I'd recommend braids if possible, but I know they're not for everybody.

As far as the heat - I've been natural for about 2.5 years and up until a week ago, I used heat RELIGIOUSLY. I BLOW DRIED RELIGIOUSLY (at least once a week). Unlike other ladies, I lost no curly texture whatsoever. I actually think losing curly texture has something to do with the products people use to maintain the straight hair (when using heat) and to "protect the hair". I keep my heat protectant regimen simple - on days I was blowdrying, after washing I would apply a creamy leave in, some KeraCare LITE oil Moisturizer with heat protecting agents and then spritz the hair with Aphogee's Green Tea Keratin Reconstructor. I dunno if this is a good thing or bad thing - but I didn't lose any curly texture.

IN other words - I really don't know what works and what doesn't...i just know what I did. HAHA... One piece of advice - use the crown and glory method when washing ESPECIALLY if you have curly hair. I lost a lot of hair trying to detangle the same way I did when I was relaxed - you know - combing it out in the shower or brushing after I got out. Lawd have mercy!!! Use that crown and glory method and braid the hair up into at least 4 braids (I do eight) before washing. It minimizes the tanglies and the pain you experience after you get out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

mahogany66

This is great info and I'll print this out for me because I do intend on going back natural within the next yr!!!:)

dimpalz

Hey MsNadi, I just wanted to say, I dont know wat other people are thinking but when I'm talking about the heat, I'm thinking more about a press. Sure there are hardcore fanatics of natural hair that don't even believe that blowdry heat is good, but like I said, it's has different effects and I personally use the blowdryer occasionally to dry my hair without any problems. I was just saying I don't think pressing it most of the time will leave curls or hair-health in a good state in the long run mainly because of the excessive heat and like you said all the products that go into it. But of course each to their own =)

MissPriss08

Oh wow! Thank you so much for the advice. I prefer not to press my hair. I plan to ue a ceramic flat iron-- I am not going for that bone straight look. WHat do you think about using a ceramic iron? DO you think it is just as damaging? Or should I believe the hype of the manufacturers? I am taking all of this advice to heart and I appreciate it.

so1913

My personal experience is with straightening regularly with a ceramic flat iron on medium heat using heat protectants.

I think it has more to do with the resiliency and structure of the individual's hair as far as what it can withstand without damage. Two different people can take the same exact precautions: product, tool, level of heat, etc. and have different reactions soley based on their hairs structure. My hair may only be able to withstand very little heat while someone else can withstand higher degrees of heat with no problem. Even in my own head of hair, there are areas that suffered damage although the same amount of heat and care was used throughout my entire head of hair. It was those areas that were softer and looser in natural texture that could not did not hold up well to constant straightening.

It's just a risk that you will have to decide to take if you choose to use heat and you plan to wear your hair in its natural state ever. I just like to caution people to be safe than sorry because once it's damaged, that's it.

Last edited:

Syrah

Cosigned. It's about you and your hair. Just realize that most any amount of heat is going to be damaging - the question is how well you can go about combatting the damaging effects.